residency granted if having dominican wife and son?

rubenpriego

Feb 28, 2011
Wondering if those facts makes you getting residency or at leas easy way to get it ...
Thanks guys.

OohOoh

Oct 13, 2011
Thats what I heard from a layer I consulted few months ago. I need to contact him back again to get mine started. good luck!!!

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
some "layer"s in the DR do not always tell the truth. I am married to a Dominican woman and all I got was more love, honesty, hard work, consideration and faithfulness than I ever deserved. I had to get in line and pay for the residency like everyone else.

alexdr

Aug 19, 2010
Are there any residency shortcuts if one is legally married to and living in the Dom. Rep. for 8 years?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Never heard of it either.

I know for foreign women married to Dominican Men, there is a law that allows them immediate citizenship if certain procedural rules are followed, but there's no such rule for foreign men married to Dominican women.

How to obtain Dominican Nationality for women married to Dominicans

Thanks for that link, after reading about this new law it seems I have to do something if I plan to be there more than 60 days. Too bad I didn't do this in the 70's, I bet it was much easier then.

Apr 30, 2006
www.drlawyer.com
Never heard of it either.

I know for foreign women married to Dominican Men, there is a law that allows them immediate citizenship if certain procedural rules are followed, but there's no such rule for foreign men married to Dominican women.

How to obtain Dominican Nationality for women married to Dominicans

The fairly new 2010 Dominican Constitution opened the path to citizenship through marriage for any foreigner (male or female) married to a Dominican national (male or female):

"Art. 18. Nationality. The following persons are Dominican nationals:
(...)
5) Any person marrying a Dominican man or woman, provided that such person chooses to acquire the nationality of his or her spouse and fulfills the requirements established by law;"

In practice, foreign men married to a Dominican are being required to first obtain their provisional residency and then wait six months in order to apply for citizenship, while a foreign spouse only has to have been married for 6 months and had lived in the country for 6 months.

For the sake of clarity, since same-sex marriage is still not recognized in the DR, you would have to be married to a Dominican of your opposite sex.

If you're interested in knowing more about the new Dominican Constitution, its only English-translated version is available for Amazon Kindle users at: Amazon.com: The Constitution of the Dominican Republic eBook: Dominican Republic, Fabio J. Guzm?n Ariza: Kindle Store. The translation was prepared by my father, Fabio J. Guzman Ariza and published by Gaceta Judicial with the support of the AMCHAMDR. Hard copies are also available at any Guzman Ariza office or at Gaceta Judicial (Santo Domingo).

Dec 26, 2011
some "layer"s in the DR do not always tell the truth. I am married to a Dominican woman and all I got was more love, honesty, hard work, consideration and faithfulness than I ever deserved. I had to get in line and pay for the residency like everyone else.

Ay, que lindo...:)

Good for you, man.

bermyboy

Bronze
Dec 13, 2007
I have a question I am planning on marrying my gf/babys mother I know I need my birth certificate and a letter stating I am single they need to be translated and notarised my question is the my country (Bermuda) does not have a Dominican Consulate but the have translation services and then the documents can be certified/notarised will this be suifficient to proceed with the marriage. Also once we are married what documents and procedures are needed to obtain my temporary residence? Thanks in advance

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Further Question for Dr Guzman

The fairly new 2010 Dominican Constitution opened the path to citizenship through marriage for any foreigner (male or female) married to a Dominican national (male or female):

(...)
5) Any person marrying a Dominican man or woman, provided that such person chooses to acquire the nationality of his or her spouse and fulfills the requirements established by law;"

In practice, foreign men married to a Dominican are being required to first obtain their provisional residency and then wait six months in order to apply for citizenship, while a foreign spouse only has to have been married for 6 months and had lived in the country for 6 months.

For the sake of clarity, since same-sex marriage is still not recognized in the DR, you would have to be married to a Dominican of your opposite sex.

If you're interested in knowing more about the new Dominican Constitution, its only English-translated version is available for Amazon Kindle users at: Amazon.com: The Constitution of the Dominican Republic eBook: Dominican Republic, Fabio J. Guzm?n Ariza: Kindle Store. The translation was prepared by my father, Fabio J. Guzman Ariza and published by Gaceta Judicial with the support of the AMCHAMDR. Hard copies are also available at any Guzman Ariza office or at Gaceta Judicial (Santo Domingo).

Dr. Guzman: What is the cost for a man with Dominican residency over 9 years who is married to a Dominican woman to become a naturalized Dominican citizen?

What is the procedure?

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004

(...)

You mean to tell me that discrimination is purposely written into this law in 2010! You have got to be kidding, what backwards pieces of s%^t!

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011

If the above makes sense can someone please translate it to gobbldygook for me please, what is the difference?

Dec 26, 2011

If the above makes sense can someone please translate it to gobbldygook for me please, what is the difference?

I wondered about that too.

It would appear that esposa may have been translated "spouse" as opposed to "wife".

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011

If that is the case then this makes no sense either!
It seems someone is saying something has changed, but in reality it hasn't changed at all, well, not from what is being said here it hasn't.
I see what is being said is changed, i heard this a long time ago, but from what has been said here means it actually hasn't.

bermyboy

Bronze
Dec 13, 2007
So any sankie or girl off the street can marry a non Domincan go to there country and make a better life but men cant marry Domincan woman and get any help getting their residency ?The more I read the more I am realising just how backwards and far behind this country is compared to other latin American countries.

Dec 26, 2011

If that is the case then this makes no sense either!
It seems someone is saying something has changed, but in reality it hasn't changed at all, well, not from what is being said here it hasn't.
I see what is being said is changed, i heard this a long time ago, but from what has been said here means it actually hasn't.

Here it is in its untranslated form:

5) Quienes contraigan matrimonio con un dominicano o dominicana, siempre que
opten por la nacionalidad de su c?nyuge y cumplan con los requisitos
establecidos por la ley;

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
It tries to put it across as though men couldn't do exactly this before, cause they could, I see nothing new, if it is purely that they will not be refused then why need apply in the first place, stick it on a plate and hand it over. If it was automatic on request, that would mean something. Again, people being paid for literally doing nothing at all.