Notice to all expats in the dr!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
I highly recommend that those that have yet to carry out their residency in the DR to do so sooner.

There's a new regulation being programmed for the non-residents and temporary residents, which will make the whole thing costlier and harder for some.

Not only that, but if you're a permanent resident, apply for the DR citizenship as well!

The new measure will seek to control certain aspects of the social/political abilities and certain rights for these sectors.

That's to say that social/political activism while not a Dominican citizen can buy you a ticket to deportation/removal under the new guidelines being worked by the Interior y Policia/Immigration/Relaciones Exteriores.

There will be new requirements to the list of needs to be a DR citizen/permanent resident. The bar will be set higher according to 200% to as much as 500% the living standards, based on 5 minimum wages from the highest salaried sector of the country.

A lot of things will get more restrictive for those not on the permanent resident program and even more for those not naturalized citizens...

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
I am sure b*t*h**g about the corrupt government is not a political activity ;)

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I'm trying to understand the proposed/new changes in residency requirements.

It seems like yesterday the DR fast-tracked a residency "fast track" to compete with other LA countries to attract retirees. That made economic sense.

Now it appears the gubmint is erecting "Not Welcome" signs.

In a country desperate for foreign cash it just doesn't make sense.

PICHARDO, what is the rationale?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The new measure will seek to control certain aspects of the social/political abilities and certain rights for these sectors.

That's to say that social/political activism while not a Dominican citizen can buy you a ticket to deportation/removal under the new guidelines being worked by the Interior y Policia/Immigration/Relaciones Exteriores.

A lot of things will get more restrictive for those not on the permanent resident program and even more for those not naturalized citizens...

PICHARDO, can you be more specific about what you believe will be different for those who already have permanent residence?

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
I'm trying to understand the proposed/new changes in residency requirements.

It seems like yesterday the DR fast-tracked a residency "fast track" to compete with other LA countries to attract retirees. That made economic sense.

Now it appears the gubmint is erecting "Not Welcome" signs.

In a country desperate for foreign cash it just doesn't make sense.

PICHARDO, what is the rationale?

There's a problem with the "quality" of some expats coming to the DR...

Apart from that, there's also a problem of special interest groups from the outside, aiming to provoke social unrest to pursue their interests in the country from a political perspective.

We have seen a greater move from "passive" NGOs and groups/individuals to "active" elements in certain sectors "inside" the country where before there were none. We had located and "removed" certain anarchist elements, that sough to disrupt the mining industry from well positioned interests outside the country.

Others have used the DR's open for all welcoming process to engage into scams and criminal enterprise, some of which is dedicated to sex exploitation of minors.

Then some other sectors of the expat community newcomer, is one that met the basic minimums set forth, but have since fallen victim to the economic problems faced in their home countries, which have relegated them into the low middle class sector of the DR and thus exposing them to certain vulnerabilities that also prey upon the sector. That's due to the fact that some had to move from middle/high sectors to low middle/low income areas thereby exposing themselves to new sources of dangers uncommon to them and criminal elements that make them more vulnerable victims of chance.

It's not that the DR will no longer seek to attract retirees, but the economic quality of those seeking to settle in the DR will be faced with a higher bar of minimum requirements.

Another priority that will be introduced is that for highly skilled workers, from different industry sectors. The DR will be looking to attract entrepreneurs and industrial start-ups, with all the conveniences it can afford for their move to the country.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Other countries offering 'fast track' residency stipulate pretty high economic standards/net worth/investment.

Bahamas used to take you straight in if you purchased a several hundred thousand property ( I forget the exact amount - $500k? )
Even the US gives you a visa for investment - again $500k minimum, i Think..

RD was notoriously weak in that bracket.
Personally, I put $5k in the bank to qualify and kept the zeros elsewhere.
That was all it took.

I agree the qualifications should be stiffened. Whether it will be efffective is the question.

bermyboy

Bronze
Dec 13, 2007
What if your country of birth does not have a Dominican Consulate to apply for a Residency Visa?

bermyboy

Bronze
Dec 13, 2007
Oh well that means less tourist $$$ for the North Coast this will deter people from coming here that means less rents paid less fuel bought less food etc etc.

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
I highly recommend that those that have yet to carry out their residency in the DR to do so sooner.

There's a new regulation being programmed for the non-residents and temporary residents, which will make the whole thing costlier and harder for some.

Not only that, but if you're a permanent resident, apply for the DR citizenship as well!

There will be new requirements to the list of needs to be a DR citizen/permanent resident. The bar will be set higher according to 200% to as much as 500% the living standards, based on 5 minimum wages from the highest salaried sector of the country.

This comes to late for the ones looking for temporary residency, the new regulation is already applied. For the ones who need to renew their permanent residency under the old regulation there is an extension for 60 days (started 8th of June).

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
Panama since last month has made it easier to obtain a residency for citizens of certain countries. Personally I think that's a good move and maybe could be something also for the DR.

The government of Panama has just created an entirely new immigration sub-category to make it easier for citizens from specific countries to obtain Permanent Residency status. Within this status newly qualified permanent residents will be able to exercise professional or economic activities - such as create a business or get a job. I suspect the "hand brake" will be the Ministry of Labor, so if they ever need to in the future they can either shut down or slow down the granting of work permits. But anyway, this is it. This is the big move I have been expecting for years. This is what the government of Panama has decided to do in order to ease their shortage of qualified workers. This move will allow the economy of Panama to keep growing. The text of the Executive Order is full of references to contributing to the growth of the Panamanian economy. Read on, kind folk, because it just got a whole lot easier to move to Panama, and to live here and work here as a Permanent Resident, if you're carrying the right color of passport. (more)

What's Going On? Article One of Executive Order says "To create within the immigration category of Permanent Resident, the sub-category of Permanent Resident in the category as foreign nationals from specific countries that maintain friendly, professional, economic, and investment relationships with the Republic of Panama."

What Countries Are On The List? Article Two of Executive Order 343 provides a specific list of the countries covered;

Germany
Argentina
Australia
Austria
Brazil
Belgium
Canada
Spain
United States
Slovakia
France
Finland
"The Low Countries"
Ireland
Japan
Norway
Czechoslovakia
Switzerland
Singapore
Uruguay
Chile
Sweden

How To Apply: Article 3 of Executive Order 343 tells foreigners how to apply for this category as a Permanent Resident. Specifically, "The foreigners who solicit this permission as foreign nationals from specific countries, that maintain friendly, professional, economic, and investment relationships with the Republic of Panama, who have as a goal of exercising economic or professional activities of any type, should comply with the requisites established in Article 28 of Decree Law 3 of 22 February 2008, and provide the following;

1. Three passport sized photographs;
2. Document that demonstrates the purpose of requiring the permanent residency, according to the professional or economic activity that will be realized;
3. Proof of the economic solvency of the applicant, which will be demonstrated by providing the following;
a. A banking certificate or bank account statement from the past month that reflects an account balance of no less than four digits, or that demonstrates your income, that's acceptable to the National Immigration Service;
4. A copy of the identification card or residency card from your country.
5. A letter of responsibility, if necessary;
6. Documentation to verify kinship, if you have dependents.

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009
Well if it keeps the pedophiles and those wanted by INTERPOL out then it is all good.

Great thought if it is true. Doubt if this is the reason. DR maybe getting some heat on this, but does this scum actually go through the process? What is the real benefit of residency? Probably the reason is just like in the US and our states. Raising fees on everything to pay themselves and all the garbage programs they have created. The folks with the real bucks will be "waved " thru the process and pay to do so. With Europe's problems the US and other countries are waving the welcome flag for folks with money to invest!!

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Well with Pichardos track record on other things, I guess I will wait for an official warning from Guzman and Assoc. Already have had my permanent residency for 15 years. Think I will pass on DR citizenship, and while living here the US embassy would just say tough SH*T but your a DR citizen in their country, but we still want your tax money.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
To make it clear, the latest changes adopted and for which the lawyers can provide you guidance are NOT the changes I'm talking about! The ones I'm talking about are still in the "borrador" and will not see enactment until after the new administration is seating. But! There are certain regulations from that same borrador that were temporarily placed in enforcement by request of Interior y Policia/Immigration and Relaciones Exteriores.

That's to say what you see now are nothing but mild interpretations of the said regulations contained in the new borrador soon to be legislated and enacted.

For those that think it's OK to stay a permanent resident and not go for the citizenship, you could be in for a surprise, as certain fees and regulations will make such enterprise unattractive unlike now or before.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
While the dutch government is known for doing hardly anything to nothing for their citizens abroad I think I'll just go for citizenship.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
More costly, difficult residency and more expensive, difficult, and expense business formation/operation/taxation would make the DR a very unattractive place to reside and do business as a foreigner.

Keeping scum out is one thing.

This direction is one that gives me pause.

Status
Not open for further replies.