Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hotels on the malecon?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Hotels on the malecon?

Which hotel on the malecon has the better location and best amenities? I have seen differing reviews, but would like to hear from people who have stayed at the Jaragua, Melia and any others. Also, which online site
    to use for making reservations. Expedia seems good, but maybe there's a better option?

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

When I have people visiting they stay in Jaragua or V Centenario....both are good.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mauricio View Post
    When I have people visiting they stay in Jaragua or V Centenario....both are good.
    Can second that Jaragua is a very nice experience.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd take the Jaragua or the Hilton over the V Centenario.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Have family at the Hilton right now. Nice rather newer hotel. But was very impressed while visiting friends at the Barcelo Santo Domingo. They paid half of what family did at the Hilton and the room at the Barcelo was a very nice suite. Hilton is nice but pricey. Jaragua and Melia are showing their age. The V Centenario is ok. Nice executive floor but I was not overly impressed with rooms. Some say the Holiday Inn is quite nice along with the Marriott Courtyard. If it is the Jaragua make sure it is a Tower Room opposed to a Garden Room Tower rooms are nicer with a better location.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by keepcoming View Post
    Have family at the Hilton right now. Nice rather newer hotel. But was very impressed while visiting friends at the Barcelo Santo Domingo. They paid half of what family did at the Hilton and the room at the Barcelo was a very nice suite. Hilton is nice but pricey. Jaragua and Melia are showing their age. The V Centenario is ok. Nice executive floor but I was not overly impressed with rooms. Some say the Holiday Inn is quite nice along with the Marriott Courtyard. If it is the Jaragua make sure it is a Tower Room opposed to a Garden Room Tower rooms are nicer with a better location.
    Um, We're talking about the hotels on the Malecon, not in the city.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the Hotel Santo Domingo. Yes, it's down the end of the malecon, but we've stayed there many times and liked it a lot. Great breakfast buffet, nice property.

Over the years we've stayed at most of the malecon hotels - we spent a week at the V Centenario when my brother and his wife came to DR, and we all hated it.

Super Moderator
    DR1.com

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AlterEgo View Post
    I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the Hotel Santo Domingo. Yes, it's down the end of the malecon, but we've stayed there many times and liked it a lot. Great breakfast buffet, nice property.

Over the years we've stayed at most of the malecon hotels - we spent a week at the V Centenario when my brother and his wife came to DR, and we all hated it.

I didn't mention it, because I think it's way too expensive for what you get. It's also very old, but it is nice. Very much the businessman's hotel.

But hey, it's gotta be expensive to pay for that helicopter!!!

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JDJones View Post
    I didn't mention it, because I think it's way too expensive for what you get. It's also very old, but it is nice. Very much the businessman's hotel.

But hey, it's gotta be expensive to pay for that helicopter!!!
    It's been a couple of years since we stayed there, but they always had a "locals" rate for family and friends of DR residents, I think we paid about $100 a night with taxes, which I thought was reasonable. The breakfast alone is worth about $25 at least. The pool area is also very nice [I HATE those rooftop tiny pools like V Centenario has]. The most important thing is not to get a room fronting the heliport :-)

Super Moderator
    DR1.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast