Hotels on the malecon?

bellakins

May 31, 2008
Which hotel on the malecon has the better location and best amenities? I have seen differing reviews, but would like to hear from people who have stayed at the Jaragua, Melia and any others. Also, which online site
to use for making reservations. Expedia seems good, but maybe there's a better option?

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Have family at the Hilton right now. Nice rather newer hotel. But was very impressed while visiting friends at the Barcelo Santo Domingo. They paid half of what family did at the Hilton and the room at the Barcelo was a very nice suite. Hilton is nice but pricey. Jaragua and Melia are showing their age. The V Centenario is ok. Nice executive floor but I was not overly impressed with rooms. Some say the Holiday Inn is quite nice along with the Marriott Courtyard. If it is the Jaragua make sure it is a Tower Room opposed to a Garden Room Tower rooms are nicer with a better location.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the Hotel Santo Domingo. Yes, it's down the end of the malecon, but we've stayed there many times and liked it a lot. Great breakfast buffet, nice property.

Over the years we've stayed at most of the malecon hotels - we spent a week at the V Centenario when my brother and his wife came to DR, and we all hated it.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I didn't mention it, because I think it's way too expensive for what you get. It's also very old, but it is nice. Very much the businessman's hotel.

But hey, it's gotta be expensive to pay for that helicopter!!!

It's been a couple of years since we stayed there, but they always had a "locals" rate for family and friends of DR residents, I think we paid about $100 a night with taxes, which I thought was reasonable. The breakfast alone is worth about $25 at least. The pool area is also very nice [I HATE those rooftop tiny pools like V Centenario has]. The most important thing is not to get a room fronting the heliport :)

BPL888

Sep 7, 2004
The Jaragua is nice but be aware that the best rates are for the "Garden Building", which is not connected to the main building. While the rooms are still nice the building is not as nice as the "Tower", especially the view. The pool is excellent. The breakfast is very good if included in the rate, good but expensive if it is not included. Right now Jaragua is running a "Revisit and Rediscover Renaissance" special where they give you a $100 US certificate good towards your next stay and 2 free drinks for $91 + tax a night. Not a bad deal if you can use the certificate in the future. Also make your reservations directly with Marriotte. Easy and painless and if you join their Marriotte Rewards program and stay 2 separate times before August they will give you another certificate for a free night. They are almost paying you to stay there!

Last edited:

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Jaragua definely and EXPEDIA always ,,without exception ,,if you have aproblem , they fix things yp very well but in more than 200 bookings I have only had one minor problem with them