Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: UK Spouse Visas - Useful Info for English tests in DR

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I just quickly checked the scores for passing on website TOEIC

Passing mark for Listening is 60

Passing mark for Speaking is 50

So allthough my husband got a 90 for speaking I was surprised by the description of his Level 4 pass.

So actually allthough they are describing his abilities as LOW he achieved almost double the passing score.

So now I am unsure if this is good news or bad news for other test takers, is the fact he scored LOW but passed way above the benchmark good news as the examiners are not expecting much in order to pass someone or is the fact that his english is so very good the description of his pass level as "Inotation and stress is generally not effective " and "when reading aloud your pronunciation is generally not intelligible" worrying.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Laura, the test is nothing more than a necessary passage, they do whatever it takes to pass people, there is little structure to the marking of the tests, that I can assure you.
    If you can communicate to some extent then I doubt they will fail anyone. Speaking from our experience I can almost be certain of this.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

In one way Iam glad that they pass people easily, but I am a little dissapointed that they assume it is for a UK visa as I would have quite like My husband to take the reading and writing parts of the test as it may have come in useful for other things in the future. Allthough his speaking is very good, his writing is not great but he can do it and his reading is actually quite resonable, so it would have been nice to see what marks he would of got even though it not needed for a visa.

Post Thanks / Like

lol that test was very very easy even tho he didnt take the full test which also theres a reading, im just waiting for the result, im glad ur husband passed the test, but what about now? once all the laws have been changed??? u still gonna apply? that stupid situation did ****ed up many many ppl not just dominicans....

Quote Originally Posted by laurajane View Post
    My husband received His results and I am happy to say that he passed.

Only the Listening and Speaking parts of the test were completed as that is all that is required for the Visa application.

For the Listening part of the test he scored 130 out of 495

For the speaking part he scored 90 out of 200 which equates to a level 4, This equates to a Low level in pronunciation and a low level in inotation and stress. Scale goes from 1-8

I am very surprised as my husbands spoken english is better than any Dominican I have met here and he can hold a detailed conversation with any english speaking person. He speaks much better english than any lawyer or hotel executive I have met, and when he described the speaking part of the test I was convinced he passed with an excellent score and if anything would make up for any weaknesses in the Listening part, but it seems not.

The description of a level 4 test taker is as follows:-

1.Typically, test takers at level 4 are unsuccesful when attempting to explain an opinion or respond to a complicated request. the respoonse maybe limited to a single sentence or part of a sentence, other problems may include.

Severely limited language use.

Minimal or no audience awareness.

Consistent pronunciation, stress and inotation difficulties.

Long pauses and frequent hesitations.

Severely limited vocabulary.

2. Most of the time test takers at level 4 can not answer questions or give basic information.

Now I do realize people can choke under exam conditions and I am glad he passed overall, but the reason I am posting this information is to encourage anyone who intends to take the test to really brush up on their english as if my husband only just scraped through god help anyone else. I am unsure at what level 1-8 is considered a passing mark.

Thanks

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Jahdr - Just sent you a private message.

Moderator - Ladies Only Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Useful article on a way around the UK visa financial requirements

BBC News - The Britons leaving the UK to get their relatives in

Matilda

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12