UK Spouse Visas

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
www.thecircusofdreams.com
My husband as do all Dominican Spouses applying for a UK Visa now have to take and pass an English tests in order to be successful in their application.

The following is the list of English Language Tests that have been assessed as meeting the UK Border Agency?s requirements from the 24 January 2012

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/applicationforms/new-approved-english-tests.pdf

I have researched every available test and only one seems to be available from information given on the list is the The Cambridge English KET (Key English Test) Exam.

The test can only be taken at this Centre ...::: Oficial Site SGS ::: Designed by SGS ::: 2K6 :::...

The test only requires that the Listening and Speaking parts of the test are passed.

The email address for the person a Mr Frankumberg Ure?a in charge of scheduling tests is furena@saintgeorge.do, However I warn you that getting a response from this gentleman in very difficult.

Its costs US$115 and this has to be paid in person a minimum of 6 weeks before the test, unfortunatly the tests are only scheduled approx every 6 months. As my husband had just missed one of the test dates the next scheduled is for the 13th October 2012. If passed the qualification has no expiry date.

Here is a link which tells you more about the exam itself and at the bottom left of the screen where it says "Information for Candidates" and "Informaci?n para candidatos" will show you an example of the test which is great for practice with instructions in either English or Spanish depending on the link you choose.
Cambridge English: Key (KET)

As a result of the long delay in waiting for the above ESOL KET test I have spent alot of time contacting other exam providers to see if perhaps my husband could take the test in a neighbouring country sooner and I had some luck. I contacted the providers of the TOEIC A1 Listening and Speaking Test and although it does not show a test centre in the DR on their website their headoffice kindly told me that there is infact one centre here where you can take the TOEIC test called Progressive English Services (PES)

TOEIC website TOEIC

The email for the helpful lady Doris Gonzalez at the centre located in Santo Domingo is doris@pes.com.do

The next available test is the 27th of June and beyond that July 14th, So they have test dates alot more regulary than St Georges school. The test costs more US$280 however contact Doris and she can give you account details to deposit the fee in a Popular account, much easier and more convenient than having to make a trip to Santo Domingo simply to pay the fee.

Address and Telephone No of Centre are:-

P.E.S
C/ Federico Geraldino #94
Esq. Jos? Amado Soler, en Piantini, Santo Domingo.
Tel. 809-732-5150

This test also mainly concentrates on the two aspects i.e Speaking and Listening that have to be passed.

If passed the qualification is valid for 2 years.

Here are the links for exam examples for the two parts of the test.

Listening and Reading http://www.ets.org/Media/Tests/TOEIC/pdf/TOEIC_LR_sample_tests.pdf

Speaking and Writing http://www.ets.org/Media/Tests/TOEIC/pdf/TOEIC_sw_sample_tests.pdf

I hope this information will be helpful to those in the Visa application process.

My husband will be taking the test next wednesday so I will report back as to how he found it.

tish

Mar 10, 2007
Problem...

Thanks for this Laurajane. I look forward to the feedback.

I have been advised that candidates have to be able to write, read and understand English to be able to complete the listening and speaking components, as it's all done online at PES. They also need to be computer literature aswell.

This is over and above the UK Border requirements. I've been advised there is another centre where just the listening and speaking can be taken, but still trying to find out where.

Tish

Jahdr

Feb 3, 2012
trying to book the the english test for my application, looking forward to that certificate.

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
Feedback of TOEIC Test

Thanks for this Laurajane. I look forward to the feedback.

I have been advised that candidates have to be able to write, read and understand English to be able to complete the listening and speaking components, as it's all done online at PES. They also need to be computer literature aswell.

This is over and above the UK Border requirements. I've been advised there is another centre where just the listening and speaking can be taken, but still trying to find out where.

Tish

Well my Husband Antonio took the test yesterday and here is what I can tell you from what he said.

1. Allthough the links for Test examples I gave in original post do show reading and writing parts of the test, he did not do them.

2. He just had to do the listening and speaking parts of the test, allthough the ability to read instructions and some text is needed.

3. The listening part of the exam is done from a workbook and test paper.

4. The Speaking part of the test on a computer, but no computer skills are needed. All he had to do was enter his name and cedular number and click next on the screen when time to move on to next question.

5. Only two people took the exam, however i have no idea if this is a regular occurance. This meant the exam instructor was very helpful and allthough doesnt help with the answers he makes sure you know what you are doing and befre the test starts he talks all test takers through the test and tells them what to expect and tips on what to do if you get stuck, all this is explained in English.

From what my husband has told me I am very confident he has passed allthough we will know for sure in 2-3 weeks. They will send us his certificate via metropac when they have it, handy as we live 3 hours from Santo Domingo.

What was funny was that the exam instructor after having a brief conversation with Antonio before hand showed him photos on his computer of our circus and of Antonio in his Circus get up after the exam was over, Its a small world.

Antonio?s spoken english is very good indeed so I am confident. He did say that speaking english is not enough, it is important that it is delivered correctly. As we all know listening and speaking with someone on the telephone in a foreign language is alot harder than in person and as the speaking part is recorded and scored by someone other than the exam instructor speaking clearly and with a good accent is more important than the content.

I will post when we have his results and at what level he passed when we have them.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Thanks LJ. When you say speaking with a good accent do you mean British English or American English?!

Matilda

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
Thanks LJ. When you say speaking with a good accent do you mean British English or American English?!

Matilda

I dont think that matters just more that it is clear and the ends of the words are pronounced as in spanish they tend to drop the end of every word. I would say its more quality than quantity they are looking for, its all very well being able to waffle on in english and the examiner not being able to understand any of it, than being able to speak the basics clearly and correctly.

Mattinthedr

Mar 21, 2011
Hi all my wife recently did this test and passed with flying colours. Her English is not that good so it's not that much of a hard test. They are very quick at getting the results it only took a week and a half when my wife did the test.
From what you say I'm sure you will have a positive awnser very soon

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
My husband received His results and I am happy to say that he passed.

Only the Listening and Speaking parts of the test were completed as that is all that is required for the Visa application.

For the Listening part of the test he scored 130 out of 495

For the speaking part he scored 90 out of 200 which equates to a level 4, This equates to a Low level in pronunciation and a low level in inotation and stress. Scale goes from 1-8

I am very surprised as my husbands spoken english is better than any Dominican I have met here and he can hold a detailed conversation with any english speaking person. He speaks much better english than any lawyer or hotel executive I have met, and when he described the speaking part of the test I was convinced he passed with an excellent score and if anything would make up for any weaknesses in the Listening part, but it seems not.

The description of a level 4 test taker is as follows:-

1.Typically, test takers at level 4 are unsuccesful when attempting to explain an opinion or respond to a complicated request. the respoonse maybe limited to a single sentence or part of a sentence, other problems may include.

Severely limited language use.

Minimal or no audience awareness.

Consistent pronunciation, stress and inotation difficulties.

Long pauses and frequent hesitations.

Severely limited vocabulary.

2. Most of the time test takers at level 4 can not answer questions or give basic information.

Now I do realize people can choke under exam conditions and I am glad he passed overall, but the reason I am posting this information is to encourage anyone who intends to take the test to really brush up on their english as if my husband only just scraped through god help anyone else. I am unsure at what level 1-8 is considered a passing mark.

Thanks

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
I just quickly checked the scores for passing on website TOEIC

Passing mark for Listening is 60

Passing mark for Speaking is 50

So allthough my husband got a 90 for speaking I was surprised by the description of his Level 4 pass.

So actually allthough they are describing his abilities as LOW he achieved almost double the passing score.

So now I am unsure if this is good news or bad news for other test takers, is the fact he scored LOW but passed way above the benchmark good news as the examiners are not expecting much in order to pass someone or is the fact that his english is so very good the description of his pass level as "Inotation and stress is generally not effective " and "when reading aloud your pronunciation is generally not intelligible" worrying.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Laura, the test is nothing more than a necessary passage, they do whatever it takes to pass people, there is little structure to the marking of the tests, that I can assure you.
If you can communicate to some extent then I doubt they will fail anyone. Speaking from our experience I can almost be certain of this.

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
In one way Iam glad that they pass people easily, but I am a little dissapointed that they assume it is for a UK visa as I would have quite like My husband to take the reading and writing parts of the test as it may have come in useful for other things in the future. Allthough his speaking is very good, his writing is not great but he can do it and his reading is actually quite resonable, so it would have been nice to see what marks he would of got even though it not needed for a visa.

Jahdr

Feb 3, 2012
lol that test was very very easy :) even tho he didnt take the full test which also theres a reading, im just waiting for the result, im glad ur husband passed the test, but what about now? once all the laws have been changed??? u still gonna apply? that stupid situation did ****ed up many many ppl not just dominicans....

My husband received His results and I am happy to say that he passed.

Only the Listening and Speaking parts of the test were completed as that is all that is required for the Visa application.

For the Listening part of the test he scored 130 out of 495

For the speaking part he scored 90 out of 200 which equates to a level 4, This equates to a Low level in pronunciation and a low level in inotation and stress. Scale goes from 1-8

I am very surprised as my husbands spoken english is better than any Dominican I have met here and he can hold a detailed conversation with any english speaking person. He speaks much better english than any lawyer or hotel executive I have met, and when he described the speaking part of the test I was convinced he passed with an excellent score and if anything would make up for any weaknesses in the Listening part, but it seems not.

The description of a level 4 test taker is as follows:-

1.Typically, test takers at level 4 are unsuccesful when attempting to explain an opinion or respond to a complicated request. the respoonse maybe limited to a single sentence or part of a sentence, other problems may include.

Severely limited language use.

Minimal or no audience awareness.

Consistent pronunciation, stress and inotation difficulties.

Long pauses and frequent hesitations.

Severely limited vocabulary.

2. Most of the time test takers at level 4 can not answer questions or give basic information.

Now I do realize people can choke under exam conditions and I am glad he passed overall, but the reason I am posting this information is to encourage anyone who intends to take the test to really brush up on their english as if my husband only just scraped through god help anyone else. I am unsure at what level 1-8 is considered a passing mark.

Thanks