Lease in English or Spanish

CocoBoy

Feb 23, 2012
Hello,

Does a contract in English, a lease for example, carry the same weight in the Dominican legal system as if it were written in Spanish? I seem to remember a post and a reply from Mr. Guzman about this issue but just can't find it using search. Thanks.

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
If the native language of the individuals in the contract is English, it is valid. The law tends to concentrate on the native language issue more than anything. That said, it is always better to have the lease in Spanish as any conflicts will be resolved in a Dominican courtroom where the judge speaks Spanish--so it's better to be in his/her language versus your language.

I would recommend a lease in both languages, side by side, on the same piece of paper that has been legally translated from a Spanish original into English. Cover all bases!

barker1964

Silver
Apr 1, 2009
Hello,

Does a contract in English, a lease for example, carry the same weight in the Dominican legal system as if it were written in Spanish? I seem to remember a post and a reply from Mr. Guzman about this issue but just can't find it using search. Thanks.

Have you ever heard the phrase "Lost in translation"?....Think about it. Would a contract in the USA be in English or Spanish?