Banco Santa Cruz (Sosua) blocks joint account of common-law widow

j&t's future

Bronze
Mar 6, 2007
I'm being informed of a lady in Sosua who's common-law husband died two weeks ago without ANY suspicious cicumstances has had her joint account frozen at Banco Santa Cruz in Sosua.
Information suggests it's been frozen because a will was not in place and a young child is involved. Inheratance is also being mentioned. They are both European.
Does anyone know the legal side of this type of circumstances?
Does having a Will prevent these problems?
Is this normal banking proceedure?

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
I would post this in the legal section to get an answer from a legal expert.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I'm being informed of a lady in Sosua who's common-law husband died two weeks ago without ANY suspicious cicumstances has had her joint account frozen at Banco Santa Cruz in Sosua.
Information suggests it's been frozen because a will was not in place and a young child is involved. Inheratance is also being mentioned. They are both European.
Does anyone know the legal side of this type of circumstances?
Does having a Will prevent these problems?
Is this normal banking proceedure?

It is normal banking procedure in Canada , if there is no will.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
It is normal banking procedure in Canada , if there is no will.

In US too, I believe pending reading/probate of the will. I've always heard the best thing to do is close all joint accounts and empty safe deposit boxes immediately after a death, before obituary is published. Otherwise you may have to wait to access your own funds and items in boxes [some people keep their wills in there!]