Again counterfeit money in circulation

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
From today's Sosua News:

[h=5]Entrepreneurs on the north coast have been scammed with counterfeit banknotes the last few days. These notes of 100, 200, 500, 1000 and 2000 peso are almost exact copies of the original notes. You can however, recognize the false notes because they feel different and the security thread and the watermark are made unprofessional. After complaints from some entrepreneurs the national police opened a hunt for the counterfeiters and arrested five forgers. The criminals were caught red-handed when they tried to pay with counterfeit money. But part of the gang is still fugitive. The police knows the identity of the fugitives. So arrests are expected soon.[/h]
[h=5]In Sos?a still haven't been reports of counterfeit money, but the police calls on everyone to always check notes for forgery and if counterfeit money is discovered, you should notify the police.[/h]

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
When I exchange Dollars for pesos her in Santiago, Gabino Cambio stamps every 2000 peso note with their invisible logo.
So if ever one is in question by me at a later time, they will know if it is theirs or not.............

B in Santiago

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
in the pharmacy i follow the rule "if not sure refuse the sale". sometimes we see the note is false but we do not make claims.
interestingly we also had fake 100 dollar bills. we accept dollars too, albeit at a lower rate (usually it's one dollar notes). so one day we had a guy wanting to buy a box of expensive pills paying with fake 100. we refused the sale and reported the story to the local policeman. long behold the guy was caught a week later!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
no, a dominican. very respectable looking, about 50, well dressed, clean shaved. but the gang was much bigger, many arrest were made.