Motherland Spain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ducadista

Nov 7, 2011
Valeu Cara!
Mi gente, I need some insight/clarity on this issue.

I was just in DR last weekend and was chatting with some people at a bar that was watching the Eurocup games. I asked what team they was rooting for, all the DR's said Spain, I asked why, the majority responded because it is the "Motherland".

Its ironic to me how could some Latin Americans still be proud to proclaim their alliance to a country that brought only disease, theft, and misery to this region. How fast do we forget history! (yes, I know it was no picnic living in this region before the Spaniards got there)

I don't have nothing personal against Spain, but to be a fan for the simple reason of calling it the "Motherland" seems odd to me.

How say you????

P.S. Go Germany!!! (no I am not German)

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Because their culture and bloodlines are Spanish, perhaps not totally but because Spanish is the language it is what they identify with. Remember it's about them not you.

Ducadista

Nov 7, 2011
Valeu Cara!
Bob,

I agree that most DR can identify with the Spanish language, but I would disagree with the culture. Dr's are a mixed bag of cultures, not all deriving from Spain. Most of the people that I spoke to that used the Motherland excuse were black or mulato.

Dec 26, 2011
To be sure, there are some very well-read and insightful men and women in RD. And then there are the sheep. Same as th US or anywhere else I suppose. But in RD, more than most places I've been, individuality is rare. People tend to like whatever everyone likes without considering why on any deeper level.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Bob,

I agree that most DR can identify with the Spanish language, but I would disagree with the culture. Dr's are a mixed bag of cultures, not all deriving from Spain. Most of the people that I spoke to that used the Motherland excuse were black or mulato.

Whats a Mulatto - someone of mixed blood, and in the DR that is Spanish and something else, usually African. The person who lives inside the skin decides what culture they want to identify with, not some outside observer.

porkman100

Gold
Apr 11, 2010
Mi gente, I need some insight/clarity on this issue.

I was just in DR last weekend and was chatting with some people at a bar that was watching the Eurocup games. I asked what team they was rooting for, all the DR's said Spain, I asked why, the majority responded because it is the "Motherland".

Its ironic to me how could some Latin Americans still be proud to proclaim their alliance to a country that brought only disease, theft, and misery to this region. How fast do we forget history! (yes, I know it was no picnic living in this region before the Spaniards got there)

I don't have nothing personal against Spain, but to be a fan for the simple reason of calling it the "Motherland" seems odd to me.

How say you????

P.S. Go Germany!!! (no I am not German)

Ducadista; Spain brought ONLY theft, disease and misery???
Spain founded (still in existence) the first christian church and first city in Continental U.S.
Spain's discoveries of the new world opened the door for other countries (england) to expand.
Spain was first with expedition around the globe (Magallanes)
And many other positive accomplishments.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Are you sure these weren't Spaniards? There are a lot of them in The DR and of course to them Spain is their motherland. Dominicans don't typically watch soccer.

Ducadista

Nov 7, 2011
Valeu Cara!
Porkman100 I could counter argue your points of view on what you consider accomplishments, but the point I am trying to make is that the people I spoke to in DR (yes Suaren, they were DR's) cheering for a team just because they consider them to part of the "Motherland", knowing or not knowing the history between each other , does not make sense to me. If you like the team on merits alone, then I get it.

By the way, Germany is going to beat Greece, I'm DR background and I love soccer.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Ducadista; Spain brought ONLY theft, disease and misery???
Spain founded (still in existence) the first christian church and first city in Continental U.S.
Spain's discoveries of the new world opened the door for other countries (england) to expand.
Spain was first with expedition around the globe (Magallanes)
And many other positive accomplishments.

positive for Spaniards, and other Europeans. negative for the people who were there when they arrived. it all depends on whose ox is being gored.

Jan 3, 2003
Bob,

The color doesn't matter. What matters who you identify with. Dominicans identify with Spain not Africa. Last I checked, most Dominicans speak Spanish not Swahili. Plus, it is ingrained in Latino culture that Spain is the idol, the image to be followed. So you can be BLACK as night, if you are Dominican you'll identify with Spain and not Mozambique.

Given that, it is understood that there is a BLACK AFRICAN extension within the Dominican mindset but it is not the central image. It is an extension of the central image which colors the central image (Spain) in variations of words not spoken in Spain but spoken in the DR. It colors the central image in music with African roots such as merengue, bachata, reggaeton. But, it is not central nor probably will ever be.

After five centuries of Spanish indoctrination, language, culture, mannerisms, ways of being-the central image is the Spanish identity shaped by African and Taino extensions. Therefore, the DR culture becomes a variation or a particular expression of the general structure namely being the Spanish one from Spain. Even Leonel Fernandez refers to Spain as La Madre Patria. It is the aesthetic appeal of it. It is the romantic sense of it and it is firmly implanted within the Dominican psyche.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I admit the first time I heard Spain being referred as La Madre Patria, I was a little chocked. Not because, I expected Dominicans to identify with Congo, but the paternalistic aspect of it.

But, I have seem Dominican support Spain in soccer games, but I found it normal. The same way if England was playing against Argentina, I suspect most American would support England.

porkman100

Gold
Apr 11, 2010
Ducadista,I call Spain la madre patria because I was raised by Spaniards (my family) I dont cheer any sports or ball players because i dont care who wins or loose.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
I agree that some people seem to feel too proud of the Spanish heritage thing, but overall, I don't see the point of holding a grudge after 500 years. If Dominicans hated every country that has invaded or tried to invade the island, let's just say it'd be a long list.

Most Dominicans are forgiving and forgetful when it comes to past events. That's why any bad candidate can make a come back, no matter how bad or horrible he's been for the country. He just have to keep a low profile for a few years.

As for soccer, some people will root for Spain, others for Mexico, Brazil or whatever spanish peaking and/or latin country that was left playing.

Chellow

Jul 27, 2006
Give me a break ?Spain brought ONLY theft, disease and misery? tell me what county or people at that time and history was docile or peaceful, your be hard press to find any. Don?t tell me the Indians, the ones that killed to the last men the first settlement. History tells us that half of the island was inhabited partially by cannibals where do you think we get Caribbean from.

Now on picking a side to cheer for, people normally support those teams that they may have more in common with.

Status
Not open for further replies.