Plaza Lama Scam

bayaguanaman

Oct 22, 2009
This morning received a text message from 1 809 914 6294 advising I was " luck enough " to have " won " $100,000 pesos. To claim my winnings I needed to buy a card top up for a cell phone and supply the number to the person who would immediately send me my 100,000 via Vimenca or Caribe Express !!!! Needless to say I did not buy the card or call for further instructions, but rather called Plaza Lama who confirmed this as a scam. And therefore just be aware !

F :mad:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I received one of those text messages once in very poorly spelled Spanish. I deleted it, maybe should have reported it to the phone company or Indotel.

Feb 7, 2007
First of all - why Plaza Lama scam...where in the text message was mentioned Plaza Lama?
Second - it's prison run scam where they ask people to send recharge cards under the pretext of winning. Something like a mini-Nigerian-scam, but run form the DR.

Trainman33

Bronze
Dec 11, 2009
I keep getting fake bills for Claro, I bet this is an inside job by someone who works there and noticed my non-Spanish name.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
First of all - why Plaza Lama scam...where in the text message was mentioned Plaza Lama?
The message I received said I'd won 100,000 or 300,000 pesos worth of goods from Plaza Lama.

Second - it's prison run scam where they ask people to send recharge cards under the pretext of winning. Something like a mini-Nigerian-scam, but run form the DR.
That's what it appears to be. I also got one of those phone calls several years ago - person introduces himself as a policeman, saying "your husband is in jail, he hit a man with his car, you need to buy a RD$500 phone card and give me the number so he can top up his phone..."

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I keep getting fake bills for Claro, I bet this is an inside job by someone who works there and noticed my non-Spanish name.

@Trainwreck - STOP being paranoid, I get phishing spam all the time from Verizon here in NY, as well as from Chase to enter my personal information, it's a fact of life, IGNORE IT!

bayaguanaman

Oct 22, 2009

and I quote ....." FELICIDADES (Plaza LAMA) te a premiado tu numero cellular con $100,000 " etc. The reason for the post was simply to save anyone wasting $100 on a top up card, nothing more sinister. You will note in my origional post I contacted Plaza Lama and their confirmation they had no similar promotions underway. Thanks F

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
geez whenever something comes out of the blue and says you have won money, its a scam, I can't believe people continue to read after 'you have won.......'

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
geez whenever something comes out of the blue and says you have won money, its a scam, I can't believe people continue to read after 'you have won.......'

Not only that, I can't believe this is even being discussed on dr1. It is so common, and the messages being sent so obvious, you would think by now everyone would have had enough messages of this sort to know you just delete the message and move on.