Moving with Non-Profit

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
I am sending a container from Bronx, NY to Santiago the first week of August. My organization will be non-profit 501(c)(3) here in the US by the end of July (estimated). I have been told that sending my things through a non-profit will save me considerable $$$ on DR taxes when it reaches customs in Santo Domingo.

Does anyone know the process for this? Who do I need to contact in Customs? Or what I need to do? I have spoken to Montero Shipping (where I alwasy send my things) and was told that the non-profit handles that stuff directly with Customs, that they are not involved with that part. They will ship it, call me when its in the Capital, I will need to go to the Capital to sign papers and pay the taxes, and then they will bring it to Santiago. If I do it just by myself (without the organization), I do not need to go to the capital, they will handle everything and just bring it to me in Santiago.

I am running this organization, yes, but it is a learning process for me. I have no idea what to do or who I need to speak with regarding this but would like to do it to save the tax money.

Anyone know anything, or know anyone involved with a non-profit that moved their belongings under their org name?

SHALENA

P.S.
Also if anyone knows anything about me registering my non-profit in the DR, that is something else I will need to do soon, Thanks.