Changes In Sosua

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
From today's Sosua News:

[h=5]It is low season for tourism in the Dominican Republic. You notice this also in Sos?a because at night it is not as busy as usual in the bars and restaurants of the beach town. Also on the beach is not as busy, according to the owners of the beach chairs, bars and shops. In the weekends it is crowded. Then many Americans visit Sos?a to enjoy the nightlife. Many Dominicans use the special offers at Casa Marina Resort. But it is also an opportunity for entrepreneurial companies to innovate. The beautifully furnished rental for sports bikes (with spacious bar) 'Reydey Motors Rentals' is now closed. Everything is cleared out, even the shiny stools are removed from the concrete floor. Not only the bar, but also the motors have disappeared. We could not figure out why this business has closed. Also bar / nightclub Gran Velero is closed and the the reason remains unknown. El Cultivo is also in other hands. This bar has welcomed Willy El Chamo as the new owner. More good news: La Roca restaurant, which is located in the oldest building in Sos?a (ca. 1890) is after months of closure, again opened by a new owner. A visit to this legendary restaurant, formerly the Casa Grande and then a Colmado, is quite worthwhile. But also see activities in the bar / nightclub Seacrets which has been closed for months, maybe more than a year. The workers there say that the bar is rebuilt and will be open again in October.[/h]

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
El Cultivo is also in other hands. This bar has welcomed Willy El Chamo as the new owner.

I truly hope whatever little remnants of Sr. Hess' home remain are preserved, the restaurant had a tiny little corner with his RCA phonograph and a few historical Sosua photos along with a few of his things. There is no reason why they can't save a little bit of history. Hey, nothing wrong with a bar/museum!;)

t'

Last edited:

young seniors

Bronze
Feb 1, 2012
From today's Sosua News:

It is low season for tourism in the Dominican Republic. You notice this also in Sos?a because at night it is not as busy as usual in the bars and restaurants of the beach town. Also on the beach is not as busy, according to the owners of the beach chairs, bars and shops. In the weekends it is crowded. Then many Americans visit Sos?a to enjoy the nightlife. Many Dominicans use the special offers at Casa Marina Resort. But it is also an opportunity for entrepreneurial companies to innovate. The beautifully furnished rental for sports bikes (with spacious bar) 'Reydey Motors Rentals' is now closed. Everything is cleared out, even the shiny stools are removed from the concrete floor. Not only the bar, but also the motors have disappeared. We could not figure out why this business has closed. Also bar / nightclub Gran Velero is closed and the the reason remains unknown. El Cultivo is also in other hands. This bar has welcomed Willy El Chamo as the new owner. More good news: La Roca restaurant, which is located in the oldest building in Sos?a (ca. 1890) is after months of closure, again opened by a new owner. A visit to this legendary restaurant, formerly the Casa Grande and then a Colmado, is quite worthwhile. But also see activities in the bar / nightclub Seacrets which has been closed for months, maybe more than a year. The workers there say that the bar is rebuilt and will be open again in October.

BTW what are the months for low season?

FritoBandito

Bronze
Dec 19, 2009
Wow....Latinos (Gran Velero) closed?????? It was always open everytime I was there (14 trips).

Sosua, 5 or 6 years ago, was the bomb........now it's just a sputtering firecracker......

I know it's slow season, but I think Sosua tourism has dropped somewhat in the past few years......

.....see you in the Philippines in September...........I've taken my vacations elsewhere.......sorry..........:)

FritoBandito

Bronze
Dec 19, 2009
I have an explanation why Sosua has gone downhill, but when I posted in another chatroom, it got me booted.

So I'll just keep my opinion, about that subject, to myself here.

All I can say is that the TRUTH hurts to some people, and they are in denial....but deep down inside they know that I'm right......

I don't mince words, and being perfectly blunt, I just call it as I see it...........

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
I truly hope whatever little remnants of Sr. Hess' home remain are preserved, the restaurant had a tiny little corner with his RCA phonograph and a few historical Sosua photos along with a few of his things. There is no reason why they can't save a little bit of history. Hey, nothing wrong with a bar/museum!;)

t'

Unfortunately it looks like the original Hess house is in the midst of being torn down, or at least gutted... :(

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I have an explanation why Sosua has gone downhill, but when I posted in another chatroom, it got me booted...

It is more of a global economic slowdown that has tourism limping along with lower real estate prices, seriously, please explain what you mean by the TRUTH????

FritoBandito

Bronze
Dec 19, 2009
It is more of a global economic slowdown that has tourism limping along with lower real estate prices, seriously, please explain what you mean by the TRUTH????

Sorry, I ain't going there......it got me booted out of ISOC, which I really don't give a crap about that website. But, I'll mind my manners here and not ruffle any feathers........

robbie

Bronze
Aug 3, 2006
Just wait to see if how the DR handles visitors who want to stay longer than 6 months:eek:
how much more of a slow down will there be?

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Quiet Time

From today's Sosua News:

[h=5]It is low season for tourism in the Dominican Republic. You notice this also in Sos?a because at night it is not as busy as usual in the bars and restaurants of the beach town. Also on the beach is not as busy, according to the owners of the beach chairs, bars and shops. In the weekends it is crowded. Then many Americans visit Sos?a to enjoy the nightlife. Many Dominicans use the special offers at Casa Marina Resort. But it is also an opportunity for entrepreneurial companies to innovate. The beautifully furnished rental for sports bikes (with spacious bar) 'Reydey Motors Rentals' is now closed. Everything is cleared out, even the shiny stools are removed from the concrete floor. Not only the bar, but also the motors have disappeared. We could not figure out why this business has closed. Also bar / nightclub Gran Velero is closed and the the reason remains unknown. El Cultivo is also in other hands. This bar has welcomed Willy El Chamo as the new owner. More good news: La Roca restaurant, which is located in the oldest building in Sos?a (ca. 1890) is after months of closure, again opened by a new owner. A visit to this legendary restaurant, formerly the Casa Grande and then a Colmado, is quite worthwhile. But also see activities in the bar / nightclub Seacrets which has been closed for months, maybe more than a year. The workers there say that the bar is rebuilt and will be open again in October.[/h]

Ken, Thank you for your post!
One just has to know how to enjoy the quiet time, you have it all to yourself. :classic: