Moving to Cap Cana August 1 - Help!

Scott.cc

Jun 27, 2012
Hi All!

We are moving to Cap Cana on August 1, 2012. I realize that Cap Cana is probably not the best place for thirty-somethings, but we found a home to rent that is beautiful and because it was a spec home that has never been lived in we were able to get a really good deal on rent. Cap Cana will give us a safe place in a beautiful setting for our initial move to the DR and we plan on using the coming months to learn Spanish and travel throughout the DR to find our next home. We hope that we can find some fun people in Cap Cana and/or Punta Cana to hang out with.

We officially move into our new home on August 1. We are planning on getting to Santo Domingo a few days in advance to do some shopping - the house is unfurnished, so we have to buy beds and furniture for our house. If anyone knows of someone that can assist us (a service or hired individual or new friend) we will need a translator to help us shop and bargain at the stores.

Yes, we are jumping in head first and hope the pool is deep enough so that we don't bang our heads too hard on the bottom. :) We currently live on St. Croix in the USVI, so we are used to the island life, but the DR is different (MUCH nicer people and places!) our biggest initial handicap is that we are functionally illiterate in Spanish (quite a twist from being in the US and those that can't speak English being the "illiterate" ones! - fortunately people in the DR seem more accepting of those who cannot speak Spanish than their US counterparts who are intolerant of those who cannot speak English.)

We are talking to a number of freight forwarders and customs brokers (directly or through friends who know Spanish) - if anyone knows of a good customs broker or freight forwarder who speaks English well, please let me know. It will be simpler if I can speak with them directly to find out all the rules and rates and such.

Also - if anyone is aware of a Spanish teacher in the Punta Cana area that we can hire for private instruction (maybe a teacher who is off work in August?) we would appreciate being put in contact with them.

DR1 has been a great resource - thanks to all those that make it happen! - and I appreciate in advance any assistance and knowledge people on here are willing to share.

Cheers,
Scott

1greasy

Jun 21, 2012
Welcome Scott. I could recommend a good interior designer. Her name is Ellen and she did my condo Her help and knowledge was impressive. She is dutch but fluent in English and Spanish. She is very reasonable and has a lot of contacts with the furniture stores and is even able to take custom orders like she did with out tables and sofas. Her number is 809-673-4444. Just tell her that Roberto sent you. Welcome to the DR and enjoy your stay!

Scott.cc

Jun 27, 2012
Thanks Roberto! I will give her a call.

On another (yet related) note, what are the best ways to communicate to/from the DR? I bought a Magic Jack for use in the DR and I have a pre-paid sim card for my iPhone that works for voice and data when I am in the DR (Claro), but I am looking for longer term solutions. Is there a secret way to get cheap rates when calling the DR from the US? And, is Claro the best option for me when I return to live in the DR permanently? (With my Magic Jack at home).

Cheers all!

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
As long as you have internet communication should not be an issue. Get a google voice number and you can call from your computer, phone, etc...to the us for free and / or people should be able to call you to your "US number" for free as well.

In terms of furniture, decorating, etc...I would go slow on that until you can get your bearings around the island and know where to find what you wan for the best prices, otherwise you can easily be taken and end up paying double/triple what you should be paying.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
If you like that type of furniture, check out the new Ikea store in Bavaro. You could equip almost your whole house with free shipping. Doesn't get much more stress-free than that!

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Magic Jack has an app for your IPhone. Then you can call and receive calls on the IP for free with the same number.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
I've shopped in several of the furniture stores in the Bavaro area, and language hasn't been much of a problem. Ilumel (spelling??) on the airport highway , Bamblu (spelling??) in Cortecito and Friusa, Unicane in Friusa (just last week), and also the IKEA order desk in Plaza San Juan near the Coco Loco intersection .... all the transactions went well, some even went VERY well.

Also, I just switched from a pre-paid phone to a cheap plan with Orange. We'll see how this goes.

Last edited: