Details about New Horizons + Saint Joseph School in SDQ?

amg2012

Jun 27, 2012
Hello everyone, this is my first post on DR1, though I have been reading stuff on the site for the past couple years :) I am curious if anyone on here works/has worked at St Joseph School or New Horizons, both in Santo Domingo, and is willing to share general info on things that cannot be found on their school websites? I am talking about teacher salary range, general working conditions, personal experience/stories. Hope someone can help me- thanks! ~Anna

EverythingJeff

Oct 31, 2010
www.facebook.com
Hello everyone, this is my first post on DR1, though I have been reading stuff on the site for the past couple years :) I am curious if anyone on here works/has worked at St Joseph School or New Horizons, both in Santo Domingo, and is willing to share general info on things that cannot be found on their school websites? I am talking about teacher salary range, general working conditions, personal experience/stories. Hope someone can help me- thanks! ~Anna

I'm friends with most of the foreign teachers at New Horizons. Salary i'm not 100% sure. Most found the job stressful as a result of interactions with their supervisors. Only 1 of 7 that arrived this year is returning in September, however, I think most only committed to a year anyway.

Students here are very different from USA/Canada (if that's where you are coming from). I imagine prior experience helps, but probably not as much as you'd hope.

I told this story elsewhere, but I'll repeat it. I spent a few hours at New Horizons and sat in on a 5th grade class. In the entire 45 minutes there was never a second of silence or stillness. I don't work as a teacher obviously, and this almost made me lose my mind ;)

Hope that helped. Any other questions I'll try and help you out.

amg2012

Jun 27, 2012
It did, thank you :) Can you explain further what you mean by students here being different from the USA/Canada? I do not have much prior experience- actually I have had more classroom observations here in D.R. (public and private schools) than in the U.S.

EverythingJeff

Oct 31, 2010
www.facebook.com
I just think it was very different from my high school days (I'm 28 now). CBNH is (apparently) full of snobby rich kids. Nobody fails, everyone just gets passed through the ranks.

If you've sat in classrooms here before, I don't expect that to be an issue then :)

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I'm friends with most of the foreign teachers at New Horizons. Salary i'm not 100% sure. Most found the job stressful as a result of interactions with their supervisors. Only 1 of 7 that arrived this year is returning in September, however, I think most only committed to a year anyway.

Students here are very different from USA/Canada (if that's where you are coming from). I imagine prior experience helps, but probably not as much as you'd hope.

I told this story elsewhere, but I'll repeat it. I spent a few hours at New Horizons and sat in on a 5th grade class. In the entire 45 minutes there was never a second of silence or stillness. I don't work as a teacher obviously, and this almost made me lose my mind ;)

Hope that helped. Any other questions I'll try and help you out.

Really? That is teacher specific not country specific. My wife can freeze a whole class, regardless of age with her eyeballs, not a word spoken.

amg2012

Jun 27, 2012
Does this mean Rich parents= no need to pay attention in school?
From what I have been told here, rich parents often times = spoiled kids + schools worrying about rich families/their pocketbooks leaving. Maybe this is enhanced in a country like DR, where who you know is sometimes equal or more important than your actual skill/experience.

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
Bob, it has to do a lot with the school and the administration. Your wife runs a tight ship - most do not. At NH there is a lot of leniency and, at least here in Santiago, a lot of coddling of children because their parents complain when you discipline. The education isn't bad, compared to others.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Without good classroom discipline there is no effective teaching. In the DR the schools are a for profit business and that changes things. Parents are customers and no business wants to drive away its customers. Many of the teachers who come down to the DR are only here for one year. Big turnover with teachers in these schools. Many hire almost the whole faculty every year. Makes for a mix of a few good and some not so good teachers.