mosquitos?

potatohead

May 10, 2012
I hope to land in Sousa in November. Do I need to bring a bunch of mosquito stuff? Nets, sprays, creams, body armor?

FritoBandito

Bronze
Dec 19, 2009
Mr. Potatohead:

Mosquitoes were never a problem for me in the DR....in 14 trips, I may have been bitten a couple of times....of course, if you get out into the campo, that might be a different situation.....

May 29, 2006
The island is teaming with little tree lizards called anoles that do a great job of keeping the insect population down during the day, and geckos that patrol for insects at night. In some regions, there are as many as one lizard per sq meter. Most insect issues come in areas where insecticide is common or there aren't enough trees to make the lizards happy. In eight months of living in Sosua, I think I got two mosquito bites. Nets are in some cheaper hotels, but the ones with AC are usually air tight enough that it's very hard for the bugs to get into your room.

The main insect issue I had with insects was with pica, which I think are called pharaoh ants in the US. They are very tiny ants that are attracted to grease and meat and you can barely see them from six feet away but invade by the thousands. If you anger or harm one, it will release a pheromone and you can get a couple hundred bites in just a few moments. Then the only thing to do is get into the shower to wash them off of you. I've heard stories, (though I've never been able to confirm them) that in the past, entire towns were temporarily abandoned when they were overrun by these ants, and it's a big motivator to keep your living space absolutely immaculate of any potential food for them.

Then of course there is the occasional Tarantula, which tend to find homes nice and cozy after a big rain fall.

FritoBandito

Bronze
Dec 19, 2009
The big thing in the DR you have to watch out for is lions, and tigers, and bears........oh my!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dec 26, 2011
Mosquitoes are everywhere in RD. Especially after a good rain. But they bother some people and others no. When I was there in April they left me alone for nearly two weeks. Then they must have found out I was leaving and feasted on my legs for the last couple days of my stay.

Viajero

Bronze
Dec 16, 2011
I hope to land in Sousa in November. Do I need to bring a bunch of mosquito stuff? Nets, sprays, creams, body armor?

You may want to bring some spray/creme with you as a precaution or you can purchase some Off! there.

Dec 21, 2008
I take a teaspoon of molasses everyday. Takes about 2 weeks to take effect but I rarely get bit now. I used to be a buffet for the little suckers at night.