Thoughts about using Visa card with "Chip" technology ??

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I've always been of the 'never use a credit card in DR unless it's absolutely necessary' club. Like renting a car - one year I used my Amex card when we picked up the car, they put a 'hold' only, and within a couple of days someone in Arizona tried to buy an expensive airplane ticket with the card. There wasn't even a charge on the card, only the hold.

But I digress.

This week I received a new credit card from Chase, a Visa, and it has the chip embedded in the card. They tell me it is unlikely anyone will be able to clone it. They also do NOT charge an international transaction fee [I think I paid 3% when I bought some appliances at La Sirena earlier this year on a Citibank card]

My question:

1. Anyone use one of these 'chip' cards in DR with no problems?

2. Anyone use one and have problems with cloning??

Randall Bell

Feb 17, 2012
The issue with the Visa + chip cards in the DR is that none of the retail employees know what they are. they just 'swipe them' normal and don't use hte chip technology even thoguh the hardware is set for them. once i had to show the gastation employee and they thought i was trying to rip them off. ya tu sabais. don't expect first world things.

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
Your chip card can still be used at regular swipe terminals and thus can be cloned, minus the chip part. I haven't seen any DR card readers that use the chip technology yet, so it's irrelevant if a credit card has it.

Feb 7, 2007
I have not seen chip technology in the DR yet. Chip technology is "slide in" where you slide the card into the reader like in an ATM.

edm7583

May 29, 2007
In order for a card with a chip to be effective, it would have to be swiped using a reader that can read the chip. As far as I know, this does not exist in the DR (just like it isn't seen in the US) so it really wouldn't make a difference. For some reason, US banks have not rushed to embrace this technology. (perhaps due to cost) A Prepaid visa card and normal precautions are the best way to go.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I had a feeling there might be a "catch", especially after I read that you have to put the card into the reading chip first, and then just leave it in there - no swiping.

What I didn't realize is that it requires a special reader. Back to the basics then - no CCs in DR.

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
My Euro card has a chip, but it also has a stripe.
When the stripe stopped working, Banca Reservas stopped honoring it along with PriceSmart and a few others.
Some read the chip.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
AE, the technology isn't there yet.

I use a totally separate card for RD.
I use 3 cards in total:
one for my general purposes, another for online purchases and the third for RD.
They are all from the same bank, all are linked for payment purposes but areseparated in case of a problem.

Mind you , I use a debit card in RD - very selectively, at banks only.

I used to have all the cloning problems mentioned here - car rentals, Amex mostly.
No problems with my new system.
Chase Fraud Dept actually suggested this to me after I was compromised and set it all up for me.

Hope that helps.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Mind you , I use a debit card in RD - very selectively, at banks only.
I use one at bank ATM's and once in a while at Price Smart or La Sirena. That's It. I also check online ASAP after using it...just to keep honest people honest.

The three times I used it at *a large ferreteria in Santiago* I got calls from the issuing bank within minutes regarding unauthorized charges in AZ and TX. No mas. Great store, but I don't trust them with my cards.

I use cc's online. PayPal is the best.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
PayPal is definitely the way to go online. Your card number is not seen by the merchant and cannot be cloned.