Need Help from North Coast Germans

Aug 21, 2007
I have a bit of a problem and hope someone here can help.

There is an older German woman who has lived here in Sosua for years and years. She lives alone with her dogs. She is quite a character. Goes by the name of Rosa. Although I have seen her many times over the years, I only know her personally because a few months ago one of her dogs attacked my dog. She is no more than an acquaintance- I am not even certain exactly where she lives- but she left a message for me to call her yesterday saying she needed to talk to me. We planned to meet today, and when she didn't show up, I called her again.

Apparently, her cancer, which had been in remission, has come back. She is getting chemotherapy treatments, but now has some very serious, life threatening complications. She told me she is afraid.

I am looking for some other Germans- or anyone who might know her- who might offer to visit and/or offer her some sort of help. I can't believe she doesn't have any friends since she has been here so long. I am quite confused regarding why she would call me.

I offered to bring her some soup this afternoon, but now she does not answer her phone. She gave me general directions to her house, but frankly, I have mixed emotions regarding whether to just go there. I am afraid of a.) what I might find, and b.) becoming involved over my head with someone I don't really know.

Does anyone on this board know this woman? If so, can you offer some help of some sort?

Lindsey

Aug 21, 2007
I visited the woman this afternoon. Asked lots of questions. She has been in this country 20 years. I have seen her (from a distance) in Playero. EVERYBODY knows her and speaks to her. Where are her friends? Her family? She says she has none.

She lives on a German pension. Is getting chemo from a Dutch NGO in Puerto Plata. But, she has serious complications that, from my uneducated internet research, could be life threatening.

I guess all I am looking for is a few people willing to give support. Call her and ask how she is. Stop and see her now and then. Do a run to Playero for her.

Since her cancer relates to female problems, she indicated that she would prefer a female friend so she can talk. She speaks fluent German, Spanish, and English.

For those of us who have lived here any amount of time.....it could be any one of us. Will someone offer some help?

I did receive a few PM's, and thank you to those individuals. I will continue to be in touch.

Lindsey