Sosua - 1991-1994 - Part 1

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Sosua - Dominican Republic 1991-1994

Sosua, including Los Charamicos - 1991

Part 1 of 5 - Videos I took when I first starting coming to Sosua.

It's 21 years old and not the greatest.
The video camera is only 270,000 pixels.

Sometimes I forgot to remove the lens cap.
I did at least speak 3 words of Spanish back then, now I'm up to 4 words or more. :cool: lol

Some parts will show my pen pal from Puerto Plata, road trip to Dajabon and my first Dominican wife in Sabana Iglesia.

I apologize now for the boring parts, after all, I was just a tourist, but not an ordinary tourist, I traveled the country solo.

Some may enjoy what Sosua and the beach looked like back then.
(Includes views of Los Charamicos - not knowing Spanish never stopped me from going anywhere)

The 5 parts will cover approximately 1991 - 1994

PART 1: Sosua

[video=youtube_share;C6t2-BRuyFM]http://youtu.be/C6t2-BRuyFM[/video]

Oct 11, 2010
Thanks for posting those videos, they were GREAT!! Brings back a lot of memories. Seeing the sign for the Atlantico restaurant in Charamicos which overlooked the bay, I used to eat there all the time. Those were great times back when Sos?a was a little more innocent. Actually El Batey was pretty innocent, Los Charamicos was another story.

Believe it or not the Haitian guy at 1:39 in the video who I think asked you how much you were getting paid for the video is still in Sos?a, he is a painter and has been selling his artwork in Sos?a for years. I just saw him on Saturday.

I couldn't recognize the places filmed at night, I'm assuming Casablanca or Marinero?

Anyway, thanks again for posting the videos the memories they brought back are PRICELESS!

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Coming from the beach and pasting Atlantico's resturant on the right there is a small parcel which was owned by one of the "RUM" families.

It had been a rental but back then it was run down.
I wanted to buy it and went through a real estate agent, I offered $25,000 U.S.

The agency came back with some ridiculous price.
I'm sure they were trying to fleece me because I was an American.

I then got married to my 1st Dominican wife and did not pursue it any further.

Years later, with my 2nd Dominican wife we went to Sosua and went by there.
It was is the process of being rebuilt from the ground up by the new owners who I believe were German.

Just before Atlantico is a small store on the cliff, we stopped in there and the owners told us,
the property I had wanted to buy sold for the outrageous high price of...... DRUM ROLL...... $25,000 U.S.

Boy am I still pi$$ed off about that.
That property is on the cliff overlooking the entire Sosua Beach.

Don

Gilles Beaulieu

Apr 7, 2010
Tank to you SantiagoDR.
Very good souvenirs.
I was there in 1991.
The video start whit Carlo's Bar ( Pedro Sansouci.)
The guy who make the Carlo's Money.
The guy who can buy all the truck of Presidente went he came once a week.
The presidente's truck came once a week ( el miercoles.) and Pedro buy all the beer from the North coats.
I want see more video like this one.
Tank to you. Gilles.

Gilles Beaulieu

Apr 7, 2010
I knew a guy about the Windsurf Apart Hotel to Cabarete who named Santiago. ( In the 1990.)
That says to you anything ?