Sosua - 1991-1994 - Part 4

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
PART 3: A Haitian artist who I met and did some paintings for me with canvas I brought from the States, THIS VIDEO IS GRAPHIC, as he was doing some mural size paintings up in the hills of Sosua with some other painters, very Nazi oriented paintings. I went with him to see his work. Who said I was not adventurous?

Due to it?s graphic nature and possible offensiveness to some, the link may or may not be available by PM request only.

PART 4: The road to Dajabon, me drinking, friends at the North Shore Hotel (Hotel Central), etc. I have no idea what Sonia is saying. Notice the lack of hookers all over the place. The good old days.

[video=youtube_share;7AbkznhjGhY]http://youtu.be/7AbkznhjGhY[/video]

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Where is Part 3?

PART 3: A Haitian artist who I met and did some paintings for me with canvas I brought from the States, THIS VIDEO IS GRAPHIC, as he was doing some mural size paintings up in the hills of Sosua with some other painters, very Nazi oriented paintings. I went with him to see his work. Who said I was not adventurous?

Due to it’s graphic nature and possible offensiveness to some,
the link may or may not be available by PM request only.

I don't have any software where I could have eliminated one Nazi mural in particular from the video depicting skeleton remains and therefore was not sure if I should make that part of the video available.

Don

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Don,

First of all, Sonya speaks extrememely fluent Dominican. Whenever this video was shot, it's obvious that she has already lived in the DR very long. What ever happened to her? Did she stay in the DR? Move back to Italy?

The bar where Sonya is speaking on the sidewalk with the Domnincan kid, there is a sign for the bar that says, "Charly's", where was this in Sosua?

Very interesting video! Funny to watch an old video of the DR. Very nostalgic. i like it!!

Frank

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
That is what is now known as "Hotel Central", it was "North Shore Hotel" back then, Gwen was the owner at the time.

"Charly's" made have been what they called the "new" Bar/Resturant part of the hotel.

They were just building that open deck and bar in 1991.
The hotel portion, like today, is located behind that area.

When I am drinking from the coconut, I am directly in front of "North Shore Hotel".
The young kids are family of the then owner.

I had met a German guy who was staying there for about 3 weeks and one evening he bought a case of beer and a carton of cigarettes. We had two chairs and sat out there on the new deck all night chatting, sharing beers, cigarettes with the different young ladies as they passed by. Unlike today, we were two of the very few single tourists in town. It was like having our own harem.

"Most" of the women would be dressed in their finest and came to dance in the clubs, more of a social event then it is today. (Besides making money otherwise of course)

I know Sonya speaks Spanish, but it sounds so cute with her Italian accent.

I got married in 1994, so lost track of my Dominican friends, the wife was very jealous.

I hesitated to post Part 3, without getting prior approval due to the graphic Nazi paintings.
Mainly one mural, I have no frame by frame editor.
I was kinda shock at the paintings myself back then.

Don

Last edited: