Sosua - 1991-1994 - Part 3

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
GRAPHIC WARNING - NAZI ART WORK

PART 3: I was quite adventurous, but a little apprehensive when I walked into the house.

The following video was taken up in the hills from Sosua in and around 1991.

I had met a Haitian painter and brought him 3 canvases from the States to paint some pictures for me.

We went up in the hills of Sosua (Walking distance) to a house where he and other painters were doing paintings for someone.

I was very surprised and kinda shocked to see such paintings being commissioned in Sosua where there are a lot of people of Jewish heritage residing. I did not video ALL the paintings, just some. One in particular is quite graphic in nature. Some of these painting are perhaps 7-9 feet tall.

I was a little concerned at the time.........

The video is part of the history and experiences of my visits to the Dominican Republic, I present it as such.

View at your own discretion.
[video=youtube_share;sG-y-c8W4Jw]http://youtu.be/sG-y-c8W4Jw[/video]

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The only shocking thing is just how bad all but two of those paintings were! I thought the "Nazi" painting was supposed to be a criticism of totalitarianism and war, not a glorification.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Thus maybe you could see my apprehension when walking in and being confronted with such "large" paintings depicting such horror.

In what state of mind were the owners?
How would they view me being there?

Were they concerned about someone knowing of the paintings and what, who they represented?

All turned out well of course, the artist did finish the 3 personal paintings for me.
One of mine includes that strange tree at the beginning of the video.

If you look back again at the beginning, it really does look like an elephant at the base with it's mouth open (Look to the left of center as it is zooming in).

I call it "The Elephant Tree".