is buckwheat available in DR?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
one of staple foods in poland, very healthy and very tasty. and i totally miss it. is it sold in DR?
i never saw it but also i never really looked. maybe my recent stay at home made me nostalgic for polish food :)

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
I have bought it here many times, the kids love it. I think it's just called "trigo". I know that is not the correct translation but that is what they call it here. You can find it in any supermarket.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
trigo? i have seen that and the grains seem to be smaller than buckwheat. but i will give it a go. thanks, fellow slav ;)

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Buckwheat ????

No Buckwheat, no Alfalfa............

Most of the Little Rascals have passed on.... Spanky certainly has gone to the wrong side of the grass.

Replays are available, but nothing new has come along for many years..:disappoin

HumbleHindu

Jan 14, 2010
I have seen that in La Sirena. Normal wheat is available. Buckwheat in health food section. Bulgur is also available. But not all the times. They will not replenish the stock immediately when they sold out. But broken wheat grains is available all over the place.

2thebeach

May 7, 2010
I believe that 'trigo' is bulgur. Thats what I was told by someone who makes tabbouleh anyway. I have also been looking for buckwheat but the trigo grains are much smaller. I am wanting to fill a pillow with it, so need the proper grain size. Has anyone seen this in bulk anywhere?

Big Dan

Feb 14, 2009
Buckwheat ????

No Buckwheat, no Alfalfa............

Most of the Little Rascals have passed on.... Spanky certainly has gone to the wrong side of the grass.

Replays are available, but nothing new has come along for many years..:disappoin

They were all members of the He-Man Woman Haters Club; until Darla came along.

Bill Cosby owns all of the Little Rascals films now. There haven't been reruns on TV for years, citing "racist" concerns.

We'll have to wait for Cosby to die, and Buckwheat will be more widely available again.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i looked up trigo in a local super but the grains are so tiny! it almost looks like rough flour :(

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Trigo translates to wheat and not buckwheat. I have never tasted buckwheat, but I have had trigo dishes and it tastes fine.

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
Trigo is indeed wheat not buckwheat, buckwheat is called alforf?n or trigo sarraceno and can be found in bigger supermarkets.