New Museum In Puerto Plata

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
From today's Sosua News:

[h=2]President opens museum Gregorio Luper?n[/h] [h=5]The birth House of Gregorio Luper?n has been turned into a museum after a drastic renovation. As one of his last acts, President Leonel Fern?ndez cut the ribbon on Wednesday, June 27 and declared the museum opened. Gregorio Luper?n is the popular hero of the north coast. Gregorio Luper?n was born on September 8, 1839 in Puerto Plata.[/h]
[h=5]He died on May 21, 1897 also in the harbor city. He distinguished himself in the freedom struggle during the Spanish domination and was widely seen as the hero who had liberated the country of Spanish tyranny. He was even a year president of the republic on which he proclaimed Puerto Plata temporarily the capital city. This unimpeachable General, averse to any corruption, has done a lot for the country and especially for Puerto Plata. The birth House had, much to the annoyance of Gregorio Luper?n admirers, however, decayed to a shack. After months of protests of these admirers, the municipality decided, with government support, to renovate the historic monument. People interested can daily visit the birth House, now a museum, that provides an overview of the life of our hero.[/h]

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
In the middle of the "Malecon", can't miss it!
Not very helpful. The Malecon is two kilometres long. I live very near the "middle" of the Malecon and I have never noticed this place unless it is the former (present?) Masonic Lodge which is a handsome building and where renovations have been going on in a desultory fashion for three years. However that is nowhere near the "middle" so perhaps not.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Anybody have the location?
It is NOT on the Malecon. I think you refer there to the STATUE of Luperon down at the Fort San Falipe!!

It is in Doce de Julio (12th of July) which is the MAIN road going into downtown Puerto Plata. Going down the hill (after Park Luperon at the commencement of the slope down into downtown POP) it is situated on the right hand side opposite the Stationery shop 'RIPOL'.

Enjoy your visit. ~ Grahame

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
It is NOT on the Malecon. I think you refer there to the STATUE of Luperon down at the Fort San Felipe!!

It is in Doce de Julio (12th of July) which is the MAIN road going into downtown Puerto Plata. Going down the hill (after Park Luperon at the commencement of the slope down into downtown POP) it is situated on the right hand side opposite the Stationery shop 'RIPOLL'.

Thanks Bushbaby. That one I already know. Amazing the rubbish some people post on here.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
It is NOT on the Malecon. I think you refer there to the STATUE of Luperon down at the Fort San Falipe!!

It is in Doce de Julio (12th of July) which is the MAIN road going into downtown Puerto Plata. Going down the hill (after Park Luperon at the commencement of the slope down into downtown POP) it is situated on the right hand side opposite the Stationery shop 'RIPOL'.

Sorry, my dumb...

Thought it was and confused it with this one:

dominican301.jpg

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
Sorry, my dumb...

Thought it was and confused it with this one:

dominican301.jpg

No worries, Mike, and thanks for the photo. That is the former (or current?) Masonic Hall I mentioned. Anyone know anything about its current or proposed usage?