in praise of flame trees

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
They really are in their pomp right now! Fantastic specimens on the Calletera Turistica.
Anyone know exactly what species they are? It appears that the name flame tree applies to many types of tree around the world.

I notice there are also yellow varieties though the orange/red ones are more spectacular in my opinion

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
They are also wonderful in India where they are called flame trees and also the blue jacarandas in Australia come from the same family and are the same huge spreading trees

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Flamboyans are called Palmettos in Miami as I recall?
Similarly beautiful are the amapolas in February or so.
There is an amapola festival on the Turistica road
from Pto. Plata to Santiago around that time, around
La Cumbre, Diego Garcia, etc., that area.
There were flamboyans planted, 5 years ago or so all along
the entrance to the POP airport, but they are growing ever so slowly.
Also on to La Union are flamboyans and amapolas interspersed. Cows
munched off some of the saplings, but hopefully one day it'll be a nice
canopy twice a year. They need some fertilizing!

Last edited:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
apart from miesposo and our menagerie flamboyant is the only thing i love about DR. breathtaking.
wiki, however, reports the damn tree grown on all continents (apart from the obvious one). oh well, i still have miesposo, right?

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
No, if you look at Wikipedia you will see that it is the West Indian Mahogany.

Hmmm...always heard it was. What do you know learn something new every day. I guess it makes sense as the Mahogany is endemic to the island, whereas Flanboyan is not.

xstew

Jul 4, 2012
Flanboyan

apart from miesposo and our menagerie flamboyant is the only thing i love about DR. breathtaking.
wiki, however, reports the damn tree grown on all continents (apart from the obvious one). oh well, i still have miesposo, right?

There is someone who comes every year and collects the seeds and sends them to Europe. Any one know why? they will not grow there.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
There is someone who comes every year and collects the seeds and sends them to Europe. Any one know why? they will not grow there.
of course they do, check wiki: canary islands and cyprus. europe, no?

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
mahogany has small white flowers dunnit, the tree trunk of the flamboyant is quite soft wood