How does Boca Chica Compare to the North Coast

May 17, 2011
I wanted to get some advice on how the town of Boca Chica is. I have been to Puerto Plata/Sosua area a few times and want a change. On my next trip I am planning to flying into Santo Domingo spending about 4 days in Boca Chica then take the Merto bus up tp Sosua, spend some time up there and fly home from Puerto Plata.

Here are the questions I need answerd?

Compared to Sousa beach, how is Boca Chica? I heard the water is deep blue caribbean compared to the north coast? Is there any truth to that?

How is the crime compared to Sosua? Espcially at night? I have never had issues in Sousa but have heard I Boca Chica May be more dangerous? Do I need to watch myself a bit more?

I'd like to maybe find some female fun at night one or two nights.

As for other areas I may want to take a trip and visit Santo Domingo during the day and see the capital. I'd also like to check out Juan Dolio as I have heard good things about it. I don't want to spend a ton of money on cab fared, but would like to get the most out of my trip on the side of the island

As for hotels. I have heard about be live hamaca being an okay place to stay? I'd like to find a place that may be girl friendly if possible, but not a necessity

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
Well you as an Italian stallion probably will like Boca Chica because there are a lot of Italians there. I'd say that the north coast is nicer but since I made some good friends in Boca Chica I prefer it there but that's my personal opinion.
For a hotel I prefer the Rolling Stone which is right on the beach and very close to all the bars and restaurants plus they allow girls, don't think the Hamaca allows girls.
In all the places you have to keep your eyes open otherwise you'll get into trouble but I've never experienced any trouble myself in Boca Chica.
The water is blue in Boca Chica but can be dirty when it rains.
It's easy to take a bus from Boca Chica to Juan Dolio and it's cheap.
I'm pretty sure you'll have fun there.

bizzyboneizo

Aug 31, 2010
boca chica beaches is real nice with blue water but for the ladies is horrible sosua is alot better. but for the food i ate at every italian restaurants and even the pizza shop next to the bar had pizza slices like new york and they used a brick oven with wood.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Stay away from Hamaca, the actual hotel itself is nice enough, but the service is probably the worst I've come across. It'll take you hours to check in, then hours to check out, if at a weekend then you cant get a seat in the buffet as the doors open to the animals, and I mean animals, it gets real bad, no bar service, no food, and again if you need assistance then forget it.
The closed off part of boca is really civilized and a nice place to wander have a few drinks, but it is quiet around now. A few good places to eat. You need to cross the barriers really to find the girls, there are a few inside the main street, but it is well controlled, not many. But without a doubt Sosua has the MUCH better looking girls, but lets be real they are all filthy, does it really matter.
The beach, I hate the view from Boca but you cant escape it, it just is what it is, makes me laugh when people love Boca beach, the caribbean beach, with its industrial viewscape, lol. The water is a bit dirty and Im sure I found a new mutant species of water monster there, still to this day no idea what it was, kind of an independent swimming penis, was weird.
Sosua beach is 10 times better, with or without the water colour, I mean, who gives a toss what colour the water is, surely the view from a beach and the surroundings is what counts.
You'd be better off going to Juan Dolio and staying at the Costa Caribe, it's a budget A/I but it has good service, better beaches.
As far as danger goes, stick to the tourist traps, they seem to be well policed these days, better than ever (sign of the times maybe), go off the beaten track with some tigre on search of coke and sex then you are in the hands of the gods, well, PN more than likely. I dont know about the North Coast these days, but the PN are really aggressively extorting every opportunity these days, so your only friends are the Politur, even then only you are there to protect yourself, rely on nobody.
Stick to touristville is my advice.

bizzyboneizo

Aug 31, 2010
Stay away from Hamaca, the actual hotel itself is nice enough, but the service is probably the worst I've come across. It'll take you hours to check in, then hours to check out, if at a weekend then you cant get a seat in the buffet as the doors open to the animals, and I mean animals, it gets real bad, no bar service, no food, and again if you need assistance then forget it.
The closed off part of boca is really civilized and a nice place to wander have a few drinks, but it is quiet around now. A few good places to eat. You need to cross the barriers really to find the girls, there are a few inside the main street, but it is well controlled, not many. But without a doubt Sosua has the MUCH better looking girls, but lets be real they are all filthy, does it really matter.
The beach, I hate the view from Boca but you cant escape it, it just is what it is, makes me laugh when people love Boca beach, the caribbean beach, with its industrial viewscape, lol. The water is a bit dirty and Im sure I found a new mutant species of water monster there, still to this day no idea what it was, kind of an independent swimming penis, was weird.
Sosua beach is 10 times better, with or without the water colour, I mean, who gives a toss what colour the water is, surely the view from a beach and the surroundings is what counts.
You'd be better off going to Juan Dolio and staying at the Costa Caribe, it's a budget A/I but it has good service, better beaches.
As far as danger goes, stick to the tourist traps, they seem to be well policed these days, better than ever (sign of the times maybe), go off the beaten track with some tigre on search of coke and sex then you are in the hands of the gods, well, PN more than likely. I dont know about the North Coast these days, but the PN are really aggressively extorting every opportunity these days, so your only friends are the Politur, even then only you are there to protect yourself, rely on nobody.
Stick to touristville is my advice.

yep the best advise right here. you can make the decision from what the post said and with the robbery thing i walked all the time there with no problem and talked to every one there for the first time no one bothered me.just be strong

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
yep the best advise right here. you can make the decision from what the post said and with the robbery thing i walked all the time there with no problem and talked to every one there for the first time no one bothered me.just be strong
The water at Boca Chica was very shallow when I went there. I was out over a hundred meters and up to my waist. In Sosua fifteen meters out was over my head.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
The water at Boca Chica was very shallow when I went there. I was out over a hundred meters and up to my waist. In Sosua fifteen meters out was over my head.

It is great for the kids, infact it is the best beach in the country for none swimming toddlers, or dwarfs.

May 17, 2011
It looks like I am going to have to weigh my options and consider the pro's and con's on weather I stay in Boca Chica or Juan Dolio. It seems to be that Juan Dolio may be a better option, but more pricey. Is there public transportation between Juan Dolio and Boca Chica so I can at least get the best of both worlds while staying in one area? I don't want to waste a ton of money to taxi's if I can help it. I also mentioned I may want to check out Santo Domingo. Is there anything over in SD worth seeing? Can I take public transportation from BC OR JD over to SD? I've heard good things about the metro bus but not sure if that would work for me.

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
It looks like I am going to have to weigh my options and consider the pro's and con's on weather I stay in Boca Chica or Juan Dolio. It seems to be that Juan Dolio may be a better option, but more pricey. Is there public transportation between Juan Dolio and Boca Chica so I can at least get the best of both worlds while staying in one area? I don't want to waste a ton of money to taxi's if I can help it. I also mentioned I may want to check out Santo Domingo. Is there anything over in SD worth seeing? Can I take public transportation from BC OR JD over to SD? I've heard good things about the metro bus but not sure if that would work for me.

IMO, just stay in Boca Chica.....It's not THAT bad.....

Just make sure your "common sense" has been recently calibrated, master the phrase "No gracious"....and you should have a grand old time.

Catch BC on a nice day.....(especially on the beach) with the music playn, people bothering you, tryn to sell you S--T....Chicas propositioning you every 15 min.

IT CAN BE QUITE EXHILARATING......

Pretty cool VIDS here.....(I made the second one, with The Beach Boys music)) the hotel they're showing is the El Candil, (in the beginning of the first Vid)....I've stayed here a few times, good place, no probs.....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hTr_IjVt-TY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/gj6pbKO2tzg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

But I now stay at the Costalunga, right around the corner.

HOME

You would be fine at both hotels, and they are priced right.

You really don't wanna spend your precious "Vacation time" going back and forth on a bus.....(or maybe you do?)

It's not perfect in BC, but it CAN be pretty good......

Have a great time!!!!

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2011
SD has some interesting architecture, sites of historical importance and a very nice Botanical Garden. Some great restaurants too.

IMO, Juan Dolio has everything you'd need w/o going to Boca Chica, but you'll just have to weigh your options.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
If you do go to Juan Dolio and do not want to experiecne the same as explained earlier about long check-in and out at Hamaca-I would avoid the Barcelo Capella. I have gone there a half dozen times over the years. Service is horrible and it is a total locals hangout and all that comes with that. AI Food, always horrible, especially on weekends-Rooms, ****ty A/C usually and bugs and and and....

Dec 26, 2011
Cheap and laid back in Juan Dolio- Plaza Real. Very nice Italian guy owned it when I was there exactly one year ago.

Only glitch was that their machine for processing Visa was down so I gave him cash.

Other than that, perfect. Not luxury but pleasant. Beautiful mature plantings in the courtyard. Cross the street to beach access. A nice Spanish restaurant with acceptable paella a short walk away. Many of the rooms have kitchens too. Not fancy, but clean and friendly.

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Boca Chica = Coney Island

Sos?a/North Shore = Ft. Lauderdale/Miami Beach/Jones Beach (if it hasn't changed too much since I was there 60 years ago!!).

Boca Chica = If you have to go there

North Coast = You want to go there

Boca Chica = pretty classless

Some Places on North Shore = lots of class and fantastic people

Just my take....

HB

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
If you do go to Juan Dolio and do not want to experiecne the same as explained earlier about long check-in and out at Hamaca-I would avoid the Barcelo Capella. I have gone there a half dozen times over the years. Service is horrible and it is a total locals hangout and all that comes with that. AI Food, always horrible, especially on weekends-Rooms, ****ty A/C usually and bugs and and and....

I think I would have given up after the first five times!;)

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
I think I would have given up after the first five times!;)

Yes a glutten for punishment. Those last minute AI weekend getaways, always feeling you may get lucky and things get better.NOT!!!
Juan Dolio being so close to SD, its the no brainer when wanting an overnighter and beach trip without long drive. ****ty part is Juan Dolio does not have a pallatable AI anywhere. Now its pretty clear that the trips will have to be Bayahibe La Romana. Such a waste that with all they development JD could not present a 3.5-4 star hotel that is tourist friendly.

JohnnyBoy

Bronze
Jun 17, 2012
Boca Chica is fun once. If you are Italian you will like it. Danancy rest on the beach does great Italian food. Theres a guy on Duarte who makes fresh sfoigatella every morning. Lots of expat Italians if you like to play cards. Batey is great for finding females. (mostly pay for play)
Cons the street hustlers and vendors are relentless. I would go with Juan Dolio if you arent going to the North Coast.

beastwood

Jun 30, 2011
Boca chica for fun and its brand of night life...beach and vibe even with intermodel cranes a mile away is pretty enough. Water is beautiful except on santo domingo beach days (sat and sun) when the barrios favor boca chica and the sand gets kicked up. After a lazy day My wife and I enjoy having a rum or beer at a duarte colmado and critiquing the chicas clothes and their choices in wrinkly euro dudes/clients/sugardaddies...not that we are any better...she is dominican and i am a gringo...married without wrinkles...yet. If anything like many dominicans...well dressed at times colorful, ladies abound.

Juan Dolio much more open ocean feeling beach. Costa carib is cheap with passable food (last july granted). Not sure there is any nightlife in juan dolio. I would like to be told where it is in case I go again.

Sosua....no se. Best night life I am told. My limited 3 daytime hours there left me with the impression the whores and pan handlers were much more in your face than boca chica. In fact bc seemed mellow compared to the "gringo buy from me bs" on sosua beach. But then again in bc folks know now I am a cheap as$ and pass us by often.

bizzyboneizo

Aug 31, 2010
Boca Chica = Coney Island

Sos?a/North Shore = Ft. Lauderdale/Miami Beach/Jones Beach (if it hasn't changed too much since I was there 60 years ago!!).

Boca Chica = If you have to go there

North Coast = You want to go there

Boca Chica = pretty classless

Some Places on North Shore = lots of class and fantastic people

Just my take....

HB
your right on with the coney island thing and do you know they put a huge gate next to the cyclone were the log ride is so they can shut it down early soon the pjs will be co ops