Dominican Republic in the London Olympics

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
The Dominican Olympic delegation to the London Olympics is 35 athletes participating in 10 sports. This is up from the team of 25 athletes participating in 8 sports in the Beijing Olympics. For the first time, there are more women (20) on the team than men (15). The DR will compete in track and field (11), boxing (3), gymnastics (1), judo (1), shooting (1), swimming (2), taekwondo (1), table tennis (1), weight lifting (2) and volleyball (12).
Track and Field: The men are Winder Cuevas, Felix Sanchez (400m hurdles), Luguelin Santos (400m), Carlos Jorge (200m), Felix Sanchez, Luguelin Santos, Gustavo Cuesta, Arismendy Peguero, John Soriano and Joel Mejia (4 x 400 m relay) and the women Ildette Lavonne (100 m hurdles), Marielis Sanchez (200 m), Raysa Sanchez (400 m).
Boxing: William Encarnacion (bantamweight), Wellington Arias (lightweight), Junior Castillo (middleweight).
Gymnastics: Yamilet Pena (women)
Judo: Maria Garcia (52 kg)
Shooting: Sergio Pinero (trap)
Swimming: Nicolas Schwab (200 m freestyle), female swimmer Dorian McMenemy (100 m butterfly)
Table Tennis: Luis Lin Ju (men?s singles)
Taekwondo: Yulis Gabriel Mercedes
Weightlifting: Yuderkis Contreras (53 kg), Beatriz Piron (women)
Volleyball: Women players are Candida Estefany Arias, Milagros Cabral, Brenda Castillo, Bethania de la Cruz, Karla Echenique, Lisvel Mejia, Gina Mambru, Niverka Marte, Sidarka Nunez, Priscila Rivera, Cindy Rondon, Annerys Vargas.

Last edited:

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Best chances for medals for Dominican Republic in the London 2012 Olympics

Luisin Mejia, president of the Dominican Olympic Committee, calls to watch four Dominican athletes for their high chances of winning medals in the London 2012 Olympics to take place 27 July-12 August.
The best hopes for the Dominican Republic?s 35 athlete strong team are:
Gabriel Mercedes (silver medalist in Beijing 2008) in taekwondo. He is training in Spain prior to traveling to London.
Yudelkys Contreras in weight lifting, who is training in Santo Domingo.
Runner Luguelin Santos, 400 m.
Yamilet Pena, in artistic gymnastics.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
I'll be willing them on. It is a shame there is so much negativity around the olympics, all the drama about the missile bases being homed from the roof of residents homes, I can kind of understand I suppose, I wouldn't want the military telling me my home had to be made into a missile base for the sakes of an event that was not benefitting me.
Also this crazy battle about express lanes through the city, and not to mention the entire security contract being scratched and the military brought in to cover the contract, which is extremely embarrassing for some.
Maybe at some point we will get to appreciate some positives about having these games in London, such as..................

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
what is "track and field"? like, running?
i wish them best of luck :)

track and field covers a wide range of sports / events. "Track" is the running, (sprints, middle distance and distance, hurdles, etc.), although I'm not really sure if marathon, which is not actually run ON the track falls into that category... but probably so. "Field" comprises things like the throwing and jumping events... javelin, shot-put, hammer, discus, etc., plus long jump, high jump, pole-vault, etc.

Aug 19, 2004
I'll be willing them on. It is a shame there is so much negativity around the olympics, all the drama about the missile bases being homed from the roof of residents homes, I can kind of understand I suppose, I wouldn't want the military telling me my home had to be made into a missile base for the sakes of an event that was not benefitting me.
Also this crazy battle about express lanes through the city, and not to mention the entire security contract being scratched and the military brought in to cover the contract, which is extremely embarrassing for some.
Maybe at some point we will get to appreciate some positives about having these games in London, such as..................

This always happens. On the positive the Olympic Torch Relay has been a great success with huge crowds all over the country from Land's End to John o'Groats as we like to say!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
poland is sending a massive team and i hope to see some gold :)
i can only wish dominicans will support their team like my dad supports ours. whenever we win and the polish anthem is played my old man stands up and cries :)
go polaks!
go dominicanos!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
don't worry, by the time the games start it will be british summer again ;)

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
Dos any one knows the chanel here in the DR that the olimpicks well be broadcast on and well there be a scugale of times and events some where? Ooooooo and can we gamble on them lol

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
169nh2x.jpg

20ubzf5.png

Nicolas Schwab (200 m freestyle) in the London Olympics 2012.

21-year old Nicholas Schwab Alfaro, Miami (USA)-born but son of a Dominican, is representing the Dominican Republic in the 200 meter freestyle. Schwab finished 18th in the 200 meter individual medley, 18th in the 200 meter breaststroke, and second in the 400 meter individual medley at the Big Ten Championships swimming for the University of Indiana.
Last year at the Central American and Caribbean Swimming Championships, Schwab broke a national record and won his first major gold in the 400 meter freestyle.

In the Olympics his first race will be on 27 July at 10:20am. The semifinals will be that afternoon at 2:37pm.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
2z5iplh.jpg

Dorian McMenemy is first Dominican woman to compete in swimming in an Olympic Games. At 15, she is probably the youngest on the Dominican team.

She will compete in London in the 100 m butterfly. She’s a 6 footer and has set new age group records in the Dominican Republic and had exceptional international experience last year when she qualified to participate in the FINA world championship in Shanghai, China in 2011. She is a sophomore in Massachusetts, and competes for the Dominican Republic taking on the sports nationality through her Dominican mother. The heat for her first competition in the 100 fly is on Saturday, 28 July 2012 at 10:34am. Semifinals at 7:40pm.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Yuderqui Contreras
34ypgci.jpg

25-years old, Yuderqui Contreras won bronze in the world championships in Turkey 2010, and 5th in the Beijing Olympics. She won gold in the Guadalajara Pan Am Championships. She won silver at the 2011 World Weightlifting Championships held at Disneyland Paris in Paris, France. The event took place from November 5 to 13, 2011. She is ranked 112th in the world by the International Weightlifting Federation.
Her challenge is to become the first Dominican woman to win an Olympic medal.

mhewrb.jpg

Beatriz Piron is 17 years old and is competing in the 48 kg category at the Olympics.

Both will compete at the ExCel venue, the largest in the London Olympics Sunday, 29 July 2012. There are two groups A and B. B competes at 12:30, A at 15:30

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
In Boxing

28vf4m0.jpg

William Encarnacion (bantamweight, 56 kg), 24 year old.

21 year old Wellington Arias Romero (lightweight, 60 kg).

Junior Castillo Martinez (middleweight, 75 kg).

Competitions of this division begin on 28 July at 13:30, continuing on 1 August at 13:30, and then on 5 August the quarterfinals at 20:30 and the semifinals on 10 August at 14:00. The finals are on 11 August at 20:45. He was the first of the boxers to qualify for participating in the London Olympics.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
ind6xw.jpg

Judo:
24 year old Maria Garcia (52 kg). She was 5th in the Beijing 2008 Olympics. She is ranked 43rd in the world by the International Judo Federation. She won bronze in the Pan American Judo championship, that took place in April in Montreal, Canada, where she qualified for the Olympics. She was third in the Judo Grand Slam that took place in June in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.