Any one want to meet up with Young Seniors?

young seniors

Bronze
Feb 1, 2012
Will be in Sosua looking for long term rental in winter. Anyone want to meet? From what I have been reading, Rocky`s might be the place? Will be down on Septemer 12 for a couple weeks. Want a few days first to just settle in.:)

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Wish i was around, i would love to meet you. Do yourself a favor, however, and go to Cabarete and stop by Jose Oshay's Irish restaurant/bar...it's on the beach. lots of ex-pats hang out there, especially during football season.

Frank

SultanofSwing

Jun 22, 2012
Wish i was around, i would love to meet you. Do yourself a favor, however, and go to Cabarete and stop by Jose Oshay's Irish restaurant/bar...it's on the beach. lots of ex-pats hang out there, especially during football season.

Frank

I myself find Jose Oshay's to be overpriced for the service. There are lots of other places ex-pats hang out at as well.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
I myself find Jose Oshay's to be overpriced for the service. There are lots of other places ex-pats hang out at as well.

Very true, however, there are not many places sitting directly on the beach--5ft from the sand, 20ft away from the ocean--where you can watch sports if you feel like it, or talk to fellow Americans & Canadians, and watch beautiful people in bathing suits parade up and down the promenade.

I'm sure places in Sosua are nice, however, i don't get coming down to the caribbean and sitting in a bar staring either directly at a concrete wall behind the bar or a concrete building sittimng directly across the street, and listening to loud car and motorcycle mufflers scream past. this defies all logic to me. And for what...just to save 30 pesos on a beer?

There are plenty of nice places in Cabarete where you can sit directly on a couch or chair on the beach, in the sand, and stare out over the ocean and enjoy an ice cold beer or pina colado out of a *real* pineapple or coconut, however, Jose O'shay's has been doing it for over 10 years, and you have a choice to sit at the bar 5ft from the beach, or directly on the beach, on the sand, and listen to 60's & 70's classic rock satellite radio while watching people parade past.

No, i'm not working there right now. i'm in Norway working for the summer and fall. Still, it's the only place i would run back to in a heart beat whenever i'm in Cabarete. i don't care if the beers costs 30 pesos more. you get what you pay for. you're sitting on the beach, in the sun, surrounded by nice looking people, sipping drinks out of real coconut. that's what the caribbean is about, that's what tropical ambience is about, and that's what people give up their 9-5 life back in a concrete jungle is about.

If i wanted to stare at a concrete wall in a warm place, i would have moved down to florida.

Frank

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
If i wanted to stare at a concrete wall in a warm place, i would have moved down to florida.

Frank

I guess you have never been to Fort Luaderdale Beach, Hollywood Beach, and/or Daytona beach.

"Spring Break" on the beach in Fort Lauderdale at Las Olas and Atlantic, unimaginable scenery. Just as wild as in the Connie Frances movie "Where the Boys Are". The good ole days.

There are others, like in Miami (South Beach, Haulover Beach, etc), but the above three were my favorite.

Now, it's Sosua Beach!

Viajero

Bronze
Dec 16, 2011
Will be in Sosua looking for long term rental in winter. Anyone want to meet? From what I have been reading, Rocky`s might be the place?
A lot of NYC crews coming down around that time so it should be pretty lively in Rocky's and all around town.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
I'm sorry, i realize now that i wasn't completely accurate in my description of either Sosua, Cabarete, or Jose O'Shay's. First, a dozen or more restaurants sit directly on the beach in Cabarete and are well populated and lit-up at night. you can find couches, sofas, and even beds sitting directly in front of restaurants and bars in Cabarete. Servers come out to your table and wait on you at nearly all of these places. Granted, some places have better service than others, but this is an island where life is very laid back...a place where people live and enjoy very laid back lifestyles that are not conducive to running around in the heat and jeapordizing a $1000 pesos bi-weekly hair-do's.

I believe that Jose O'Shay's is the only restaurant on the beach in both Cabarete and Sosua that serves drinks out of fresh Pineapples and Coconuts--using the real coconut water inside the coconut drinks and the real meat inside the pineapples for the pina colodas. i know of no other restaurant on the north coast that does this. Jose Oshay's have been serving drinks this way for 10 years. This, combined with the plethora of sports offered on tv's (I'm a football fan), and live music offered on weekends, sets Jose O'Shay's apart from the rest. it's more my style and taste. but i like Lax a lot as well and enjoy going there as well.

What i don't get about Sosua is that most of the bars and restaurants are indoors--away from the beach and sand and people parading past the promenade in bathing suits. I enjoy looking at bikinis. I don't get sitting at a bar staring at a concrete wall, or staring across the street at more concrete, or listening to loud motorcycle mufflers and cars with pounding music zipping back and forth. Why endure concrete for scenery and loud mufflers for music when you could be sitting on a beach looking at bathing suits and listening to the ocean and children play.

Well, at the end of the day, its different tastes that makes the world go around, but having lived here half my life, i much rather spend my time on the beach looking at bathing suits and coconut trees rather than sitting indoors staring at concrete.

Frank

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2011
What i don't get about Sosua is that most of the bars and restaurants are indoors--away from the beach and sand and people parading past the promenade in bathing suits. I enjoy looking at bikinis. I don't get sitting at a bar staring at a concrete wall, or staring across the street at more concrete, or listening to loud motorcycle mufflers and cars with pounding music zipping back and forth. Why endure concrete for scenery and loud mufflers for music when you could be sitting on a beach looking at bathing suits and listening to the ocean and children play.

It's a weird part of human nature- to miss what's right in front of us.