Helsinki ? Bergen ? Puerto Plata 26JAN13
Helsinki ? Gothenburg ? Puerto Plata 02FEB13
Helsinki ? Oslo ? Puerto Plata 15DEC12, 29DEC12, 09FEB13
Helsinki ? Stavanger ? Puerto Plata 12JAN13
Helsinki ? Stockholm ? Puerto Plata 22DEC12, 05JAN13, 19JAN13, 16FEB13, 02MAR13
Helsinki ? Trondheim ? Puerto Plata 23FEB13

wierdscott

Jan 28, 2012
Myself and two friends were looking to buy property in the DR- we researched Metro near Juan Dolio, Punta Cana, and the vicinity of Sosua. We shelved the idea because the real estate market in the DR likely will have another 20% market correction based on sOme projections and security issues.

Anyway, we were leaning towards Punta Cana as it seemed as the best value and indisputedly has the best beaches of the DR, or anywhere I have ever seen in my life. My question- with the utter beauty of Punta Cana, what is the attraction of the north coast? We came to a consensus that the north coast was nice, but seemed a bit congested and not as nice beaches as PC. What are the benefits of the north versus PC? I must be missing something- lots of foreigners and apparently a lot of airlines go to puerto plata

yapask1

Jul 23, 2012
Helsinki – Puerto Plata 09MAR13
Helsinki – Bergen – Puerto Plata 26JAN13
Helsinki – Gothenburg – Puerto Plata 02FEB13
Helsinki – Oslo – Puerto Plata 15DEC12, 29DEC12, 09FEB13
Helsinki – Stavanger – Puerto Plata 12JAN13
Helsinki – Stockholm – Puerto Plata 22DEC12, 05JAN13, 19JAN13, 16FEB13, 02MAR13
Helsinki – Trondheim – Puerto Plata 23FEB13

Yes , now Samana ( includes Las Terrenas ) and Punta Cana are the best bets with rising property prices.

PC also has the best flights and international hotel groups investing.

Puerto Plata suits certain people with business interests but not many since many parts are run down.

Airlines going to Puerto Plata are reducing year upon year.

yapask1

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I have very little experience with the Punta Cana region, but I believe it is what I call Florida Flat. The north coast has much more variety in terrain. If the type of terrain there works for you and you like the beaches, infrastructure and pricing then it sounds like it could be better for you.

Hurricanes are a potential issue in the Punta Cana area and much less of one on the north coast.

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
I AM only guessing but maybe... He did not like to hear the truth about Hurricane news regarding PC ,

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
If you like Punta Cana you are going to Love Hurricanes. Punta Cana may have beautiful white sand beaches but it is flat, flat, flat without a single redeeming geographical feature. For a quick vacation it is nigh onto perfect. For living here, it is nigh on to hell on earth (IMHO).

Here are your hurricane instructions, however: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...3090102633.105646.115988172633&type=1&theater

Dominicaus

Oct 4, 2006
If you like Punta Cana you are going to Love Hurricanes. Punta Cana may have beautiful white sand beaches but it is flat, flat, flat without a single redeeming geographical feature. For a quick vacation it is nigh onto perfect. For living here, it is nigh on to hell on earth (IMHO).

How could possibly PC be a higher hurricane risk than any other place in the DR?
Hurricanes are massive, humongous systems that cover not only the entire island, most of the Caribbean...Haven't you ever seen a satellite pic of one?

Even if for some strange reason the probability that the EYE of a hurricane goes through PC is higher than for some other point (which I seriously doubt), most of the hurricane damage is NOT caused by the wind (especially to concrete buildings) but rather by the torrential rains that come with them...and make no mistake, the associated rain COVER THE WHOLE ISLAND wherever the actual eye of the hurricane goes through.

As far as mountains go, they are NOT very far from the coast if you know where to look....just take the old road that link Higuey and El Seibo and you will be seeing mountains all along the road...there is something called "cordillera oriental" FYI...it means eastern mountain range...they run E-W through the entire East of the island, but closer to the Northern (Atlantic) side...the range start about 40KM (25miles) from PC...highest peak is about 800 mts...yeah, not as high as the Pico Duarte...I know.

Dominicaus

Oct 4, 2006
Here is a satellite view of Hortense...its eye can be clearly distinguished, about 100KM North of....Compare the size of the island to that of the hurricane system...
HORT2.GIF

Here is another image:
Hurricane_Hortense_12_sept_1996_1800Z.jpg

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
How could possibly PC be a higher hurricane risk than any other place in the DR?
Hurricanes are massive, humongous systems that cover not only the entire island, most of the Caribbean...Haven't you ever seen a satellite pic of one?

Even if for some strange reason the probability that the EYE of a hurricane goes through PC is higher than for some other point (which I seriously doubt), most of the hurricane damage is NOT caused by the wind (especially to concrete buildings) but rather by the torrential rains that come with them...and make no mistake, the associated rain COVER THE WHOLE ISLAND wherever the actual eye of the hurricane goes through.

As far as mountains go, they are NOT very far from the coast if you know where to look....just take the old road that link Higuey and El Seibo and you will be seeing mountains all along the road...there is something called "cordillera oriental" FYI...it means eastern mountain range...they run E-W through the entire East of the island, but closer to the Northern (Atlantic) side...the range start about 40KM (25miles) from PC...highest peak is about 800 mts...yeah, not as high as the Pico Duarte...I know.

I have looked at the size of hurricanes many times. What you are missing is this. Punta Cana (and all of the east and south coast of the DR as well) are DIRECTLY EXPOSED to the frequent paths of incoming hurricanes as they cross the Atlantic from Africa and strengthen. A hurricane making land fall at Punta Cana can do much more damage from storm surge, high winds and heavy rains than it will do in the center of the Hispaniola island or the north coast. The mountains further inland would not have much effect if any on dissipating a storm on that is striking the coast at Punta Cana.

While you can argue that it is possible for a hurricane to hit the north coast and make landfall, it is very much less likely to happen than a storm making landfall at Punta Cana. If you study the tracks of past hurricanes, I do not think you will find one that has hit Cabarete/Sosua area directly as even a Category 1 hurricane. The typical paths of hurricanes either go north of the north coast, or hit the east or south coast of Hispaniola. Just like ISAAC is going to hit the south coast of the DR in the upcoming day or two and then go over Haiti.

Chareena

Apr 3, 2004
janssoncarina.blogspot.com
Helsinki ? Puerto Plata 09MAR13
Helsinki ? Bergen ? Puerto Plata 26JAN13
Helsinki ? Gothenburg ? Puerto Plata 02FEB13
Helsinki ? Oslo ? Puerto Plata 15DEC12, 29DEC12, 09FEB13
Helsinki ? Stavanger ? Puerto Plata 12JAN13
Helsinki ? Stockholm ? Puerto Plata 22DEC12, 05JAN13, 19JAN13, 16FEB13, 02MAR13
Helsinki ? Trondheim ? Puerto Plata 23FEB13

Aviastar, unfortunately I didn't see your post in July. Are these Finnair routes regular routes or with Aurinkomatkat? I'm Finnish, that's why I'm asking.