steps to residency, just to make sure.

AtomicPhil

Feb 6, 2012
A, A
Hi everyone ok, i have been reading all over web sites, and many forums here. I am going to be going to dominican republic in 10 days and would like to start the process to start out as a resident and at the end to citizenship. I went to the dominican consulate in miami,fl.. i got the following so far.

1. My birth certificate apostilled by the state of florida
2. My mother Dominican birth certificate and her cedula
3. 3 2x2 pics of me passport sized.
4. My birth certificate

Now for the rest i got a paper from the consulate of the things i need to do in dominican republic. which the steps are to

1. translate my u.s english birth certificate into spanish.
2. take my documents (assuming my birth certificate) to the attorney general of the republic office.
3. then take these thing to the jce..

question about this.. i just renewed my moms old birth certificate into a new one, but her passport is expired. is this good enough to take to the jce along with my translated birth certificate? am i missing anything? thanks i just want to get ready before i leave.

PlantaFULL

Oct 21, 2004
You may not need residencia at all with a Dominican mother. My wife was born in NYC, daughter of a Dominican. A few years back she applied and got her cedula/dominican citizenship. No residencia involved. She got all this done here in the DR, only thing I recall was needed from NYC was the birth certificate legalized by the DR Embassy there. Her mother also had expired Dominican passports and cedula I think, but that was no problem. Note mother was present at all times, at JCE etc.

AtomicPhil

Feb 6, 2012
A, A
how long did it took her to get all her cedula/citizenship? i hope i can just get all that in 1 shot. but how long would i get residency or citizenship? 1 week, 2 weeks, 1 month?

PlantaFULL

Oct 21, 2004
I think it took at least 6 months until she had a cedula in hands. There was no lawyer involved and not a lot of appointments (No medial etc). Perhaps 2 or 3 trips to JCE and DGM in total.

AtomicPhil

Feb 6, 2012
A, A
thanks i just hope i got all my things together.. yea i asked the people in the consulate if i needed a police copy of my backround or if i had to do anything medical over there they said no since i am of dominican descent.. thanks for your response..