Danilo in Office

principe

Nov 19, 2002
So i read a piece today that quoted someone on the Transition Task Force, he mentioned that "Obviously, he is the President, and the one who designates is he. If you read between the lines, if he will adhere to the law and the law says how many ministers and deputy ministers there are, there are the answers,".

My question to more knowledgeable DR1'ers is, exactly what does the law state about the appoinment of ministers?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Ministers are appointed at the President's behest. He points a finger and the minister is appointed. The key issue here is the issue of deputy or vice ministers. Some ministries have 25 or 30 deputy ministers. There are 3 deputy sports ministers in Santiago alone!!! This is the big ripoff. Most ministries have a limited number of deputy ministers, for example the Armed Forces is authorized by law to have three deputy ministers which makes sense, with one for each branch.

Others like Education are authorized to have more, but they have all exceeded this number by far.

If Danilo does this (remember he is a fanatic) some doo-doo will hit the fan, but his acolytes will defend him...

HB

May 12, 2005
If I understand the news correctly Danilo will only be appointing the number of deputies as prescribed by the Constitution and not any extras. During the campaign there was talk of trying to reign in the size and spending of governmental administration. Let's see what happens on August 16.

principe

Nov 19, 2002
I get you Frank. I think that this novel idea of a President, for once, following the Constitution sounds pretty good. Hopefully it is the beginning of some sort of instituinality in the country.

I'm thrilled to see a person such as Danilo in power. I wish him the best of luck.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The problem with,"Fallowing The Constitution" in the DR,is that the "Constitution" here is not a permanent document,and is not "By The People,For The People,or even "Of The People"!!!!!!!!
It can,has,and will continued to be,changed by the vote of the senators,and deputies in power.They make it suit their needs at any given time.The People have no "Say" in how they are governed here,and few,if ANY, actually care,or understand HOW "GOVERNMENT" FUNCTIONS!!!!
If they get "Free Food",and the party in power "Bows" to all "Unions",and continues giving "Free Electricity",they remain in office.
"HEY!" sounds like our "Neighbor To The NORTH!"
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

principe

Nov 19, 2002
I hear you Chris, but i'm hopeful and optimistic. I have no reason not to be. After Hipolito DR got lucky and people chose Leonel. Danilo has come to clean house and although i'm quite young i've never seen a Dominican politician like him. Serious, with clear ideas and plans. He could be full of it but i dont think so.

We can all go on being cynical, or negative, or whatever you want to call it. But it doesnt look like he's messing around.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
376804_428156087228144_262221006_n.jpg

Not a bad idea.......

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
I wouldn't get my hopes too high on Danilo! They all start by doing a couple of good things here and there but they never forget how they got the power and what they got it for: To benefit themselves and their party, and the PLD is insatiable!

I remember when people thought that Leonel was going to be a "Messiah" but he turned out to be as corrupt as the others.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I wouldn't get my hopes too high on Danilo! They all start by doing a couple of good things here and there but they never forget how they got the power and what they got it for: To benefit themselves and their party, and the PLD is insatiable!

I remember when people thought that Leonel was going to be a "Messiah" but he turned out to be as corrupt as the others.

No question Leonel was a disappointment. However his first term, when he couldn't run again, was a success.

Add me to those who are cautiously optimistic

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
No question Leonel was a disappointment. However his first term, when he couldn't run again, was a success.

Add me to those who are cautiously optimistic
Yeah, you're right! His first term was very good. Too bad it all went downhill on his second time in office.