Travel Warning

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Saman?
A local online news page has published a warning for travellers who use the toll road from Santo Domingo to Saman?.

ole0.jpg

donP

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
A story connected to this kind of BS. A friend was visiting us a while back, I told him to rent a car to make life easier. On their way to meet us, up at Juan Dolio, they switched over to get gas, while on the west (LA) side pulling away from the gas station they got pulled. Had all the paperwork and ID etc, the PN told him they'd have to go along to the station to verify (just as is said in the report). Long story short, they got RD1000 out of him.
so later on that night we all were coming back down to the city, and pulled into one of the Colmados in La Caleta for a drink. While we were all sat there the PN they had bumped into just up the road earlier appeared, one went to the bar the other younger skinny one came over to our table and offered a hand to my buddy and then to me, and apologised for earlier, saying he had to do as the other said as he was his superior and he was sorry for earlier.
when he had gon my bud said that when all this was going on, he was trying to get his superior to let them go, and infact shook his hand before they did off with their money.
Significant, at first thought probably not, but if you put this to a grand scale, some things start to make sense, some of it can be understood. Just wondering how many examples of this drama go on throughout the day, every day. (well I'm not really wondering, I know, it is very evident, young recruit, twisted big balls showing him the ropes)
I hate the PN with a passion, and I have absolutely no sympathy for any of them who end up on the wrong end of a bullet. I'd like to know how the seemingly decent recruits must have been forced into the PN though, as they must know they are mafia, criminals, scum of the earth, so how do they end up there if they do not want to be part of the mafia, a criminal or considered scum of the earth. It doesn't make sense, but does anything ever need to!

Last edited:

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
hey Givadog.... I think you need to open up and tell us what you REALLY think about the PN... LOL It's not good to keep things bottled up... lOLOLOL

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I got stopped the other day in Santiago.

The reason was they were looking for pistolas.

"NO SPEAKA SPANISH.

Then he mentioned the word "Propina".
I pulled out the "Papers" for the car and said "papers"

He then again said they were looking for pistolas.
NO SPEAKA SPANISH and said "Papers"......

I showed him my Driver's license.
He said it expires in November.
I said thanks, I know.

Anyway back and forth with "No speaka Spanish", "Pistola", "Propina" and "Papers".

He finally waved me on.

The area was also a motoconcho stop, and the guys on the bikes kept telling the PN, "He doesn't speak Spanish".

I can be just as persistent as they are......

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
I got stopped the other day in Santiago.

The reason was they were looking for pistolas.

"NO SPEAKA SPANISH.

Then he mentioned the word "Propina".
I pulled out the "Papers" for the car and said "papers"

He then again said they were looking for pistolas.
NO SPEAKA SPANISH and said "Papers"......

I showed him my Driver's license.
He said it expires in November.
I said thanks, I know.

Anyway back and forth with "No speaka Spanish", "Pistola", "Propina" and "Papers".

He finally waved me on.

The area was also a motoconcho stop, and the guys on the bikes kept telling the PN, "He doesn't speak Spanish".

I can be just as persistent as they are......

HA Ha!!!

I've done the same thing....3-4 times?

Who's gonna blink first?

Throw it right back at em......

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I have the good fortune of living on the el choco track in Sosua, and on top of that I regularly have to take the road from Sabaneta to Jamao.

2 favorite points for the G-2 guys. So, in the past 2 years I have been stopped maybe 40 times. They always ask about pistolas, or armas. They want to see my papers, and then wave me on.

I always enthusiastically greet them in Spanish ( I should have become an actor ), shake their hand, willingly show my papers, and have never paid them a peso. Never had any problem with them.

Ohhhh, I lied... I got stopped once 50 meters from my house, on Christmas eve. The guy was very friendly, and just asked me, after checking the papers and saying everything was OK, politely, if I could spare a smoke. So I suppose I did bribe them once... lol.

BelgianK, ashamed he contributed to the corruption (5.50 rds)

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Oh never worry, if someone has lived in the country and on no occasion ever paid a propina in any way.......................... I just don't believe them. Seems an unavoidable passage. Whether it be to get something done or avoid something happening...

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
Oh never worry, if someone has lived in the country and on no occasion ever paid a propina in any way.......................... I just don't believe them. Seems an unavoidable passage. Whether it be to get something done or avoid something happening...

Propina is one thing, bribing some stupid cops if you haven't done anything wrong is another thing.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
A friend of mine was driving back that route last week from the capital to the north coast when she encountered one such road block near Nagua.

She was initially asked for a propina. "No, I only have a little money and need for gas."
She was then asked for papers and license. "They are all up to date."
She was then asked if she was Venezuelan. "No"
She was then asked if she was from Argentina. "No, I'm Canadian"
She was then asked if she liked to dance bachata. "No, not much."
She was then asked if she liked to dance merengue. "No, not much."
She was then asked where she was going. "To Cabarete to be with my boyfriend."
She was then asked if her boyfriend is moreno. "No, he's white."
She was then advised that morenos are better, and that maybe she should come back to visit him. "My boyfriend wouldn't like that"
She was then asked if she had a blackberry. "No"
She was then asked if she had facebook. "No"
She was then wished a nice day & sent on her way.

She tells me that all the questions about dancing were accompanied by him demonstrating his dance moves for her, while cars backed up in a line behind them.

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010

I tip all the time,

Occasionally, I'll bribe, only when absolutely necessary.......

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
A friend of mine was driving back that route last week from the capital to the north coast when she encountered one such road block near Nagua.

She was initially asked for a propina. "No, I only have a little money and need for gas."
She was then advised that morenos are better, and that maybe she should come back to visit him. "My boyfriend wouldn't like that"

She tells me that all the questions about dancing were accompanied by him demonstrating his dance moves for her, while cars backed up in a line behind them.

Please don't tell me anybody that these guys shut have received some propina.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Propina is one thing, bribing some stupid cops if you haven't done anything wrong is another thing.

Your profile date says you know the country better than that, but they know the game too well now as somewhere down the line people began folding on them and paying up. If you get cut off in a no lights area at night, or even on the highway unlit believe me, you don't really consider your rights, not for the sakes of a few pesos, just getting out of the situation once you have weighed up the situation. It hasn't happened a lot to me over the years, but it has happened. If PN stop a vehicle it isn't for traffic offences, we know that, or should do.
Dont get me wrong, if they pull you during the day, then stand your ground. At night is a different game, no lights, no people.
I posted a short while back that the difference in today's PN is they tax people, everyone ( you don't need to be an expat to get taxed these days) night or day, traffic or not. They don't care anymore, they kind of wn the streets now, according to them, ruthless bast ards.

Last edited:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009

The Nagua guys are real amateurs - they know my car now , I never stop fully just do a "Bill Clinton" style wave by (the Bill Webster wave by is equally famous here it seems) and proceed.

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
Yes, but they know the game too well now as somewhere down the line people began folding on them and paying up. If you get cut off in a no lights area at night, or even on the highway unlit believe me, you don't really consider your rights, not for the sakes of a few pesos, just getting out of the situation once you have weighed up the situation. It hasn't happened a lot to me over the years, but it has happened. If PN stop a vehicle it isn't for traffic offences, we know that, or should do.
Dont get me wrong, if they pull you during the day, then stand your ground. At night is a different game, no lights, no people.
I posted a short while back that the difference in today's PN is they tax people, everyone ( you don't need to be an expat to get taxed these days) night or day, traffic or not. They don't care anymore, they kind of wn the streets now, according to them, ruthless bast ards.

If they try to stop me at a not well lit place with nobody around and it looks like an assault I just don't stop, period.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
If they try to stop me at a not well lit place with nobody around and it looks like an assault I just don't stop, period.

Yeh till one day you get shot! And don't roll your eyes, they will shoot at you if you don't stop and they pull up along side you.

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
I am driving here for more than 20 years..., come on, if there are road blocks at night which are legit, they are in well lit places and with lots of people around, usually several cars lined up.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
I am driving here for more than 20 years..., come on, if there are road blocks at night which are legit, they are in well lit places and with lots of people around, usually several cars lined up.

I have never mentioned a road block, I have never been taxed at a road block. I have when PN appear along side down unlit roads. That is my point. Roadblocks are not an issue. Ruthless PN are the issue, I thought I made that clear earlier. But never mind. PN, roadblocks, legit, these words do not belong in the same sentence.

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
I have never mentioned a road block, I have never been taxed at a road block. I have when PN appear along side down unlit roads. That is my point. Roadblocks are not an issue.

Never been stopped in dark places by legit PN yet, good luck to you too!!!