Liquor Licenses Coming Soon??

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
And they will enforce drunk driving laws

http://almomento.net/articulo/114297/Controlaran-consumo-bebidas-alcoholicas

Google translation of the above site:

SANTO DOMINGO. - President Leonel Fernandez submitted yesterday to the Senate a bill which would be controlled by the sale, supply and consumption of alcoholic beverages in the Dominican Republic.
If approved, would be regulated the sale or consumption in public places, except by permission of the authorities.The piece seeks to ban the sale within 50 meters of residential and school areas, and establish a schedule for businesses that sell them.It also imposed penalties on drunk drivers with fines ranging from two to 50 minimum wages and imprisonment for six days to six months. Repeat offenses would be punishable by fines of from 4 to 100 minimum wages and imprisonment for six months to two years.
The legislation would prohibit the sale, sale or provision of free alcoholic beverages to persons visibly intoxicated, who are under significant effect of psychotropic drugs and people with obvious mental retardation.
This prohibition includes under 18 and students in uniform, despite being older.
Also prohibit the sale and consumption of alcoholic beverages in places that encourage antisocial behavior and the dissemination of music above permitted levels and noise emissions or obstruction of public roads.The project will go immediately to a Senate committee study. To be become law must be approved in two readings by the Senate, and subsequently by the House of Representatives in two readings.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Controlling alcohol distribution will have a PROFOUND effect on the DR.

Especially if they limit the supply of said licenses, or make the regulations so tough only a few can comply.

Before coming to the DR I had a sports bar in Largo FL with a 4COP license (full liquor.) The license alone was worth $200,000.

They'll need to really ramp up enforcement for drinking/driving. That will take a lot of manpower and $$$ to pull off.

May 12, 2005
That's the one that jumps out for me. Depending on how they define a residential area, that could be a biggie.

I am thinking with colmados (the ones already in residential neighborhoods) they will still be selling and delivering but there won't be any drinking at their location.

kdolo

Mar 9, 2009
Dr

There is a proposal to issue liquor licenses, which grant permission to sell, to businesses.

http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/local/2012/7/20/44449/Bill-would-impose-sweeping-changes-over-alcohol-sales

The fascists, communists, and statists are at it again. Anything to steal the wealth of the populace and control people. Is it me or the DR government increasingly attempting to implement idiotic nonsense that plagues the US ???

Liquour licenses ???? for what possible purpose or benefit ?? other than to raise revenue to pay off the interest on the massive WorldBank, IMF debt or to fleece the sheep in order to steal it.

this idea is ridiculous and the only thing its going to do is drive up the costs of doing business, increase unemployment, overly burden the neighborhood colmado/bar, and engender corruption.
- a whole new wealth destroying bureaucracy will be needed to administer the licenses !!!.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The fascists, communists, and statists are at it again. Anything to steal the wealth of the populace and control people. Is it me or the DR government increasingly attempting to implement idiotic nonsense that plagues the US ???

Liquour licenses ???? for what possible purpose or benefit ?? other than to raise revenue to pay off the interest on the massive WorldBank, IMF debt or to fleece the sheep in order to steal it.

this idea is ridiculous and the only thing its going to do is drive up the costs of doing business, increase unemployment, overly burden the neighborhood colmado/bar, and engender corruption.
- a whole new wealth destroying bureaucracy will be needed to administer the licenses !!!.

The sort of knee jerk reaction that is all to common on dr1.

There is a lot in the description that windeguy posted that makes good sense, as far as I am concerned. Why would any argue against banning sales of liquor to young children, toughening penalties on drunk drivers, continuing to sell booze to people already drunk, requiring bars to keep the music volume down, etc.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Every day some jack ass politician or beauracrat needs to justify their existence by making some stupid law to control the people. I remember when I went to college in Florida everybody was drinking on campus so the new chief made it law that to have a party you need a 'social gathering permit' and campus security needs to be present. Also no keg beer allowed only cases. Result. Everybody started partying off campus and drinking and driving accidents, non-existent before, shot through the roof. Another victory for statists and a loss to the people and common sense.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
The sort of knee jerk reaction that is all to common on dr1.

There is a lot in the description that windeguy posted that makes good sense, as far as I am concerned. Why would any argue against banning sales of liquor to young children, toughening penalties on drunk drivers, continuing to sell booze to people already drunk, requiring bars to keep the music volume down, etc.

Its already against the law to sell liquor to children, 'toughening' the laws on drunk driving is like multiplying x 0. And you can already get music turned down via local police. We dont need new laws, we need enforcement of existing laws.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Ah, the DR creeps inexorably along on the path to "civilization". When they get the country on computers it will be time to pack up and leave. It will not be a better place. The laws on the books will continue to go on unenforced while the politicians are busy writing new ones. Computers will really have an effect. The government will be in your pockets big time and the dishonesty and corruption will continue unabated. Enjoy it while you can.

kdolo

Mar 9, 2009
WHOOSH....the sound of money leaving ...

the very thing that make you like the place, the idiots are destroying.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Its already against the law to sell liquor to children, 'toughening' the laws on drunk driving is like multiplying x 0. And you can already get music turned down via local police. We dont need new laws, we need enforcement of existing laws.

Good point. I agree that enforcement of present laws should come first.

From the posts, it seems some wouldn't like that, either.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I'm against all of that BS...The DR has functioned fine the way it's always been thank you very much. I don't want The DR to become another US where you're regulated and controlled to death. In spite of anyone of any age being able to buy a beer if they feel like we don't have throngs of alcoholic youngsters and I would dare argue we probably have less of a drinking / alcoholic problem than some "civilized" countries...

Every time these laws are enacted all it means is more opportunity for cops to make more money in bribes. Right now some bars are left open beyond the 2:00 AM closing time (stupid law IMO) just because they pay up. I would agree about the loud music in residential area...but how do you determine a residential area? We don't have any real zoning laws

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
every time i read one of those idiotic "leave DR be" posts i get seriously pi**ed off. you guys whine about the harsh laws in DR and making DR more like a nazi states of america. and then if someone robs your house or hits your car you are the first to bark, foaming at your mouth "where is the law? where is the police?"

who cares those new laws will make life more difficult to some nasty old fart passing his retirement years in DR, drinking from the morning and f**king hookers? DR is getting better so that dominicans can live better lives. stop holding back DR in the third world. let it move, let it progress. dominicans too want to live in a safe environment, sleep well at night without music blasting out, drive to see their family in the campo without the fear of being hit by a drunk young a**hole.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
I do care about losing the liberties that makes my country so attractive and appealing in the first place. If they pass that law there's no point on vacationing down there, I may as well just go to Miami and be done with it...

Keep pleading for your liberties being taken away, after it happens no se esten quejando...

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
I'm against all of that BS...The DR has functioned fine the way it's always been thank you very much. I don't want The DR to become another US where you're regulated and controlled to death. In spite of anyone of any age being able to buy a beer if they feel like we don't have throngs of alcoholic youngsters and I would dare argue we probably have less of a drinking / alcoholic problem than some "civilized" countries...

Every time these laws are enacted all it means is more opportunity for cops to make more money in bribes. Right now some bars are left open beyond the 2:00 AM closing time (stupid law IMO) just because they pay up. I would agree about the loud music in residential area...but how do you determine a residential area? We don't have any real zoning laws

This pretty much represents my feelings about this...I do hope the tourism sector vehemently opposes this POS law proposal.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
every time i read one of those idiotic "leave DR be" posts i get seriously pi**ed off. you guys whine about the harsh laws in DR and making DR more like a nazi states of america. and then if someone robs your house or hits your car you are the first to bark, foaming at your mouth "where is the law? where is the police?"

who cares those new laws will make life more difficult to some nasty old fart passing his retirement years in DR, drinking from the morning and f**king hookers? DR is getting better so that dominicans can live better lives. stop holding back DR in the third world. let it move, let it progress. dominicans too want to live in a safe environment, sleep well at night without music blasting out, drive to see their family in the campo without the fear of being hit by a drunk young a**hole.

So closing bars that don't pay up and "controlling" the sale of alcohol is making the DR a safer country? Are we any safer now than we were 15 or 20 years ago when these "laws" didn't exist? I don't think you lived there back then, but the answer is a big time NOOOO. Yes Dominicans want a safer country, but for that to happen all we need is the damn police to do their jobs and stop being part of the problem. Yes I want them to spend their time trying to find the perp who robbed my house or show up when someone hits my car instead of spending it trying to extort money from businesses and decent people who just want to have a decent time without being hassled. They, the politicians and the big time increase in drugs consumption and sales are the ones holding back The DR, not alcohol.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I do care about losing the liberties that makes my country so attractive and appealing in the first place. If they pass that law there's no point on vacationing down there, I may as well just go to Miami and be done with it...

Keep pleading for your liberties being taken away, after it happens no se esten quejando...

Extreme a lot of foreigners in here come from countries where they never had these liberties to begin with, so it's hard for them to comprehend what's the big deal. They are used to binge drinking because bars close at 2:00 AM or earlier so better try to get as many drinks in as quick as I can before then and don't see anything wrong with that or not be able to buy a beer before a certain time or not be able to send your nephew to the nearest Colmado to get you that beer or be able to sit anywhere outside and sip on that beer...and no I'm not an alcoholic. I hardly ever drink during the week and only once in a while on weekends, but it has nothing to do with that. It's the liberty to do so if I so wish that I don't want taken away...

My main issue however is that since The DR police is so uneducated giving them a little power to close bars, etc...extends into them arbitrarily enforcing whichever law they see fit at a particular moment. For instance when this law first came into effect they would close the bar and then people weren't allowed to even go sit at a park and chat with their friends (Unless you paid them up), even though they weren't even drinking...so I for one don't want to give any more power to a corrupt police than they already have.

Last edited:

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Jungle Fever

I do care about losing the liberties that makes my country so attractive and appealing in the first place. If they pass that law there's no point on vacationing down there, ...

Obviously some people here confuse liberties with permissiveness and lawlessness and welcome when laws are not enforced.

donP

kdolo

Mar 9, 2009
Dr

.....Another statist who believes that simply passing laws = progress: ...so the "dominicans can live better lives...."

have you even given real thought to the drivel you are speaking. Does it occur to you that such a law will increase the cost of doing business - in a country that needs as much business as possible, will increase unemployment in a country that needs as much employment as possible, will contribute to corruption in a country that needs a massive reduction in corruption, will embolden uneducated and potentially criminal police in a place where there are already to many of them behaving in antisocial and illegal ways, will increase the size and costs of an already inefficient government bureaucracy - which will be needed to administer these licenses ---

-the cumulative effect of such a law will materially decrease the quality of Dominican lives. These laws have negative effects on the real economy - this is something the statists, fascists, and communists can never get through their thick heads. And it is the economy that affects peoples lives for the better or worse.-jobs,investment, income, capital,

I would argue anecdotally that DR has far less problems with underage drinking and the US - if fact I can go so far as to say that I have never seen underage drinking in the DR- whereas it is rampant in the US with all the absurd laws.

FYI: there is little connection between access to alcohol and drunk driving fatalities.
"In countries such as the United Kingdom and Australia drunk driving and deaths caused by drunk driving are considerably lower than the USA. Drunk driving deaths in the UK were 380 in 2010 (12% of all fatal accidents). In California, there were 1,489 deaths from traffic accidents related to "alcohol or other drugs" in 2007 (22% of all fatal accidents). Alcohol consumption per capita in the UK and Australia is higher than the US and the legal age for drinking lower. Unlike the USA, these countries do not see restricting access to alcohol as having any useful role to play in reducing drunk driving."