Importing Pets to the DR

turksman

Mar 14, 2005
Hi guys. Would like to know the process I would have to take to bring my four dogs to the DR as I am planning on relocating there within the next few months.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Plenty of threads on this ... use the search and you'll have reading for a week.

Not difficult at all - might be a bit tricky this time of year.
Some airlines have heat embargos

turksman

Mar 14, 2005
Hi William. Appreciate the quick response its weird though never got an email notification that you replied. Anyways I currently live in the Turks and Caicos and its about a 35 minute flight from here. I have a friend that owns a small airline company here and does charters there a lot so my dogs can come that way. I am more concerned over the regulations in terms of restrictions on certain breeds if there are any at all. Thanks

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
no restriction on breeds.

You need a healthcertificate, by an official vet, no older than 30 days. Your dogs also need all necessary vacinations, especially the rabies one, this last one again no older than 30 days.

When you arrive here, you will have to present those documents to the agricultural department at the airport, and pay 300 rds per dog.

That is it.

BelgianK, importer of 16 dogs... ouch...

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
You have the expert online now -- BelgianK.

I ahve brought in 2 or 3 and wish I had a charter to do it.

The charter solves any embargo problems..... good luck, its not hard.
BTW, the easiest airport for this would be Samana - if thats near where you're going.

I have never been to the smaller airport in Sto Dom, but I bet its easy too. SanYsidro ?? is it ??

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
You have the expert online now -- BelgianK.

I ahve brought in 2 or 3 and wish I had a charter to do it.

The charter solves any embargo problems..... good luck, its not hard.
BTW, the easiest airport for this would be Samana - if thats near where you're going.

I have never been to the smaller airport in Sto Dom, but I bet its easy too. SanYsidro ?? is it ??

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Avoid American Airlines. They are very restrictive and expensive. They have a long list of no fly breeds and they will refuse others that are not on the official list "because they look like ones on the list". This was actually told to me by the AA female "dog expert" in Miami when she refused to fly my dog out of the country. Good luck

ninapup

Sep 16, 2004
Avoid American Airlines. They are very restrictive and expensive. They have a long list of no fly breeds and they will refuse others that are not on the official list "because they look like ones on the list". This was actually told to me by the AA female "dog expert" in Miami when she refused to fly my dog out of the country. Good luck
What airline would you recommend if not American. Are there others that fly from Boston or New York that will take dogs over 20 pounds? Would love to know. We have had good luck with AA in the past though.

DeadHandStraight

Jun 10, 2012
What airline would you recommend if not American. Are there others that fly from Boston or New York that will take dogs over 20 pounds? Would love to know. We have had good luck with AA in the past though.

Continental has the country?s best pet safe transportation....that would be your choice...dunno though if they fly from Boston or New York, please check that....but they will definitely take good care of your dogs...weight no problem there

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Continental, now United, flies daily from Newark to both POP and SDQ.

The dog must be checked in separately, not with people and baggage.

They are considered the best pet airline - not cheap, but good.
A few hundred for a one way here - $350 or so last time I looked.

ninapup

Sep 16, 2004
Thanks for your answers. I think we will have to stay with American because of their schedule from Boston and the fact that our dog can be checked in at the counter. We have had absolutely no trouble shipping our pets with AA over the years so it is not a problem for us or our dog but I was curious as to whether there was another airline that offered the same service and schedule because I would prefer to fly on another airline. AA charges $175 each way. One has to make concessions for their pups.