Dual Citizenship

JPeSo

Aug 20, 2007
Hello, i'm wondering if i can apply for dual citizenship. My mother and father are both dominican but i was born in the u.s of a. I don't have contact with my father or any side of that family so would it be possible to apply for dual citizenship with just my mothers information. My mother has not been to the D.R. in a very long time i don't thnk that matters but you never know. Any info on the process and what is needed would be very helpful

JPeSo

Aug 20, 2007
Just to add i am also married to a dominican woman for 5 years. maybe this would help?

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
If your mother is a Dominican citizen then you should get dual nationality by right of lineal decendant, I don't think the fact your wife is Dominican would need to come into it.

Disclaimer: I am probably right, but I could be wrong.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
It is a relatively easy procedure to do, applying as offspring of your mother. You will need to get an original of your mother's birth certificate and have it legalized.

Expect to make three/four trips to the DR to do the paperwork and then finally get your cedula and passport. Trip to get the birth certificate (someone else could pick this up for you). Trip to deposit the paperwork (you could leave a power of attorney and have someone pick it up for you. Trip to pick up the paperwork and deposit to get your cedula (believe this can also be done by another person to whom you have issued a power of attorney). Trip to pick up your cedula and get your passport (only you can do this).

To get your cedula takes about three months after you are authorized to get it, but once your cedula is ready you can pick it up and get the Dominican passport in one day.

You will be dealing with the Oficialia/JCE (for the birth certificate)
Ministerio de Interior y Policia (to deposit the birth certificate and application form)
Junta Central Electoral (to pick up your cedula)
Direccion General de Pasaportes (to pick up your passport)

See requirements and form at:
http://www.seip.gob.do/ConsultoríaJurídicaHijodeDominicanosHD/tabid/199/Default.aspx

Last edited:

JPeSo

Aug 20, 2007
Thank you Dolores....do you have any idea of how much the whole process cost? do you think it would be possible to do it thru the dominican consulate in nyc?

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Thank you Dolores....do you have any idea of how much the whole process cost? do you think it would be possible to do it thru the dominican consulate in nyc?

You should spend around US$250 for the whole process, including the passport. From memory getting the birth certificate and legalizing it here is about RD$500, the first cedula is free, the passport with VIP (same day) I recall is about RD$6,000. I don't recall if the Ministry of Interior and Police charges, but it musn't be much. Adding to the cost is the translation by a judicial translator (one authorized by the Supreme Court of Justice), that could cost about RD$3,000, and then to have that legalized at the Procuraduria. Getting the full version of the birth certificate and the Apostille should be about US$20 in the US. If you get a power of attorney then it will cost you more because the lawyer can charge US$100, but it would save you a trip here.

You need to get the Apostille, or the certification of the birth certificate, from the corresponding authority for your state in the US.
Do not go through the Dominican consulate in NYC because that will just be an additional unnecessary cost.

It would be interesting to latter come up with actual recent costs of doing this whole procedure.

Last edited:

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
I read the requirements on the link (http://www.seip.gob.do/Consultor%C3%...9/Default.aspx ) and it looks pretty easy, like something one could do without a lawyer. Has anyone here ever tried to do it on their own? I speak, read and write Spanish fluently, so language isn't a problem.

You can perfectly do this on your own. It is just taking it step by step, legwork. You have to go depositing the documents and waiting for the next paperwork to come out.