New renewal procedures for Pemanent-Residents(under 10 year residency) ?

Hispanola

Feb 4, 2011
So I have to Renew my Permanent-Residency in October and since I?m currently in South-America the earliest return to the Dominican-Republic for me would be around mid September.
What happens to me, would I get it all done in one visit, or did Dominican Migracion just find a way to make my Lawyer richer ?

Hispanola

Feb 4, 2011
I guess no one would have this information off-hand until after the August deadline passes and someone tries to Renew their Permanent-Residency.
The last time (almost 2 years ago) that I renewed my Permanent-Residency it was a breeze.

I always felt that it?s not much of a PERMANENT-residency if I have to renew it every 2 years, it?s more like a 2 year residency.

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
I just renew a week ago totally done in three hours , get there early 8 in the morning .out by 11 if you pay for the fast track same day 1000 pesos more IF ANY ONE HAS AN EXPIRED RESIDENCY AND WANTS TO RE NEW GET THERE ASAP BEFORE END OF FIRST WEEK IN AUG OR YOU LOSE COMPLETE RESIDENCY STATUS AND HAVE TO GET VISA IN YOUR HOME COUNTRY AND START THE PROCESS ALL OVER AGAIN WITH MORE HASSLES AND COSTS BUILT IN

Hispanola

Feb 4, 2011
I just renew a week ago totally done in three hours , get there early 8 in the morning .out by 11 if you pay for the fast track same day 1000 pesos more IF ANY ONE HAS AN EXPIRED RESIDENCY AND WANTS TO RE NEW GET THERE ASAP BEFORE END OF FIRST WEEK IN AUG OR YOU LOSE COMPLETE RESIDENCY STATUS AND HAVE TO GET VISA IN YOUR HOME COUNTRY AND START THE PROCESS ALL OVER AGAIN WITH MORE HASSLES AND COSTS BUILT IN

My Permanent-Residency expires in October and the earliest I could return to the Dominican-Republic would be in mid-September, are you saying if I don?t Renew it right-now then I?m done as a Permanent-Resident forever ???

This would prove the point I made in my second post that ?we were never really PERMANENT-residents but only 2 year residents at a time?.

If that?s realy the case then I?m done with the Dominican-Republic for good.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
My Permanent-Residency expires in October and the earliest I could return to the Dominican-Republic would be in mid-September, are you saying if I don?t Renew it right-now then I?m done as a Permanent-Resident forever ???

This would prove the point I made in my second post that ?we were never really PERMANENT-residents but only 2 year residents at a time?.

If that?s realy the case then I?m done with the Dominican-Republic for good.

NO, that is not what was said. Take a deep breath and read it again. The statement,in all caps even, was that if your residency is EXPIRED you must renew before end of first week in August.

Your residency has not expired. Return in mid-September and renew your residency before the October expiration date and you will be fine.

Hispanola

Feb 4, 2011
Your residency has not expired. Return in mid-September and renew your residency before the October expiration date and you will be fine.

Thank-You for clearing that up for me, it makes a big differance for me now.

I will now have P-R for another 2 years.

But after that particular renewal (in my case in September), all future 2 year renewals will be according to the new laws, OR will I ALWAYS fall under the old law and be able to renew it in one day without any hassles like; medicals etc.... ?

Thank-you.

Hispanola

Feb 4, 2011
Could the Lawyers of this Forum please confirm the last advice that was given to me by ?Ken?.

That although my P-R expires in October I am OK as long as I renew it any time before the expiration day which is in October.
I will not have to go through any new procedures, but simply show-up at Migracion with my Cedula and Passport and be done in a couple of hours, like before ?

I am still getting conflicting advice in another thread.

Thank You kindly.

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
There are no new regulations at present for renewing on time ! Only new regulations for expired residences ,period that be terminated as of the first week in August unless they get their butt their before . Also Cedulas expired I heard ,have until the end of dec to renew and get discounted penalties.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Could the Lawyers of this Forum please confirm the last advice that was given to me by ?Ken?.

That although my P-R expires in October I am OK as long as I renew it any time before the expiration day which is in October.
I will not have to go through any new procedures, but simply show-up at Migracion with my Cedula and Passport and be done in a couple of hours, like before ?

I am still getting conflicting advice in another thread.

Thank You kindly.

There was a post in another thread by somebody who renewed on Friday, July 27. There were changes in that you now must pass by a desk that lets you into immigration rather than walking directly in as before, and they fingerprinted him. Other than that, the same. He was in about 8 and out about 11.

Please post the link to the conflicting advice so we can see who is causing your confusion?

Hispanola

Feb 4, 2011
Permanent residents must renew their residency card after one year; subsequent cards will
be renewable every four years, except for retirees and rentistas who must renew every two years.
After ten years, permanent residents will be issued a definitive residency card, not subject to renewal.
An annual residency fee, however, will still have to be paid.
An applicant wishing to renew his/her temporary or permanent residency must provide the
Immigration Department with a passport valid for at least 18 months, residency card, c?dula,
pictures, local police certificate, letter of guarantee, etc. To renew his/her permanent residency, the
applicant must also undergo a new medical exam, and justify that the conditions under which
residency was originally granted have not changed (employment, investment, pension, etc.).

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Permanent residents must renew their residency card after one year; subsequent cards will
be renewable every four years, except for retirees and rentistas who must renew every two years.
After ten years, permanent residents will be issued a definitive residency card, not subject to renewal.
An annual residency fee, however, will still have to be paid.
An applicant wishing to renew his/her temporary or permanent residency must provide the
Immigration Department with a passport valid for at least 18 months, residency card, c?dula,
pictures, local police certificate, letter of guarantee, etc. To renew his/her permanent residency, the
applicant must also undergo a new medical exam, and justify that the conditions under which
residency was originally granted have not changed (employment, investment, pension, etc.).

Hispanola, checking your posts I see why you are confused. You have to renew in October but you are wondering about 2 years from now and you are debating whether to apply for citizenship. That is a lot to worry about at a time when nobody seems to know what is going on.

If I was wrestling with unanswerable questions, I would be confused myself.

By October this whole thing may be very different after the new president takes office in a couple of weeks and it becomes apparent that there are lots of problems.

The best thing to do is to relax and wait and see what happens. You are safe at least until October so don't get all stressed over something that you can't change and may be quite different in October.

Good luck.

PS: Keep in mind that the only reason you are confused is because you are reading the DR1 message board. Thousands of people who visit and/or own property in the DR know nothing about this and are now stewing about it. When the authorities have to deal with these very upset people is when we are going to see changes being made

Last edited:

Isobel

Jul 21, 2011
I renewed my PR about 10 days ago, two days before it expired. I arrived for 8.30 and was finished by 10.25. I followed the instructions someone laid out on DR1 recently and they were very accurate, though that person recommended not going for VIP but quoted the price that included VIP. My understanding is that problems arise if you haven't already got residency or have let it expire.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
A friend of mine renewed his residency yesterday. The expiration date was August 8, he renewed on the 2nd. He was there about 8 and out by 10:30. No problem. Normal procedure

Hispanola

Feb 4, 2011

That was one heck of bad advice that I should have never listened to.
I guess, my fault for reading dr1.

Hispanola

Feb 4, 2011
Giving people an advice to become like the ostrich that puts it?s head in the ground and hopes for the best, or hoping maybe they will change their laws by the time your turn arrives to renew, is no advice.

I should have come earlier to renew my P-R.

Now, I spent 2 weeks of hell: the whole renewal procedure including transportation took me back about $400 U.S.D. and in the end I only got another 2 year Permanent-Residency card, not a 4 year one.
Also, I had to do it only in Santo-Domingo, so that means you have to pay hotel here for those 2 weeks (that?s besides the $400 U.S.D. I mentioned above).

More upseting than throwing away good money was throwing away my precious time in the 3 hour line-ups at the Procurudaria-General on maximo Gomez street, having to go to bank-Reservas every time to pay the 330 peso impuestos for each document. The needless radiation (x-rays) now infused into my bones and the embarasment of having to pee in a cup infront of a nurse and the long wait and line-up for that Medico procedure.
And all those endless photocopies I had to make and arrange everything for them as they won?t accept nothing that is not arranged according to the order they want, so after all this you can be pretty sure I paid the damn VIP to finish faster.

Durring all this time I thought I would be getting a 4 year Permanent-Residency card.
I made a big rucuss when I was handed just another 2 year one (to no avail).

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
May be too late now, but getting Citizenship was a snap in the past. Once you have that they cannot screw with you anymore. Just renew your Cedula every 10 years and Passport every six. You have every right that any Dominican has except you cannot run for President or Vice President. But you can become a Senador. LOL

sabra

Jun 16, 2007
Thank's for your report, Hispaniola.
I have to do renovation in first week of february. Have hear from two German Residents about the same procedure, you wrote about. They returned now to Cabarete, waiting for a call from Migracion to know the results of the medical examen. In case o.k., they travel again to STD for to complete the renovation.
The payment in Ban Reservas for the impuesto for the documents can be done here (p.e. Cabarete Ban Reservas) before, to save a little time.
What I am wondering about are the reports here from Isobel and Ken (# 12 and 13) - seems that they didn't have this problems, got their renovation in a few hours. Or did I misundertood ?
Another question: the headline of this thread here is:

Has this "under 10 year residency" anything to do, how the rules for uns are?

And - can this rules have to do anything with nationality?

Hispanola

Feb 4, 2011
Thank's for your report, Hispaniola.
I have to do renovation in first week of february. Have hear from two German Residents about the same procedure, you wrote about. They returned now to Cabarete, waiting for a call from Migracion to know the results of the medical examen. In case o.k., they travel again to STD for to complete the renovation.
The payment in Ban Reservas for the impuesto for the documents can be done here (p.e. Cabarete Ban Reservas) before, to save a little time.
What I am wondering about are the reports here from Isobel and Ken (# 12 and 13) - seems that they didn't have this problems, got their renovation in a few hours. Or did I misundertood ?
Another question: the headline of this thread here is:

Has this "under 10 year residency" anything to do, how the rules for uns are?

And - can this rules have to do anything with nationality?

Things were different before August 2, 2012.

Those who are here more than 10 years as legal Permanent-Residents are under a differant cattegory now.

I hate the idea of having to go for Dominican citizenship just because I don?t want to go through another round of radiation and long line-ups, etc... 23 months from now.

I?m not that patriotic for this country, I just like the Landscape, weather, Palm-Trees, beaches (what ?God? gave). but not the people who have become known as Dominicans nor their supposed ?culture?!!