North Coast Weather

May 17, 2011
A few years ago I visited DR for memorial day weekend right around dominican mothers day and it rained 4 out of the 5 days I was there. I beleive I only got 1.5 days of beach and pool time. After talking with my Taxi driver he did mention May is one of the rainest months for the north coast.

I hear that June-Sept is the low season since it's hot in most U.S climates, however you take the risk of running into a hurricane. The good thing I heard about that time of year is you can get some pretty good hotel deals

I just want to know what months to avoid, so i don't have my vacation ruined

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
The north coast is nearly hurricane proof. The south coast gets the brunt of the storms in hurricane season.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Weather isn't predictable like it used to be. When I first got here in 1986 the farmers' made their plans around the almost certainty that there would be rain in some months and sun in others. But that is no longer the case.

Regarding chance of hurricanes, if you are in the Puerto Plata-Cabarete area there is little chance of being in a hurricane. They are typically on their way to the Bahamas and the US before they get to us. But what you can get is rain from the rain bands that extend out from the storm a long distance. Also, during August-October or November we can have showers from tropical waves that are passing through the area.

In the condo where I live, we plan to do pool repainting and things like that in July because it is usually hot and dry. But even then there can be showers, especially in the later afternoon. But rarely all day rains.

But no matter when you make your visit, there is no guarantee there won't be some rain. The weather is as mixed up here as it is in most of the rest of the world.

Timotero

Bronze
Feb 25, 2011
Why not rather than asking for opinions, you research and get some historial data regarding weather trends?
There are many, many, sites that have that info. Here is a link to one:

Puerto Plata Weather - Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic Forecast - TripAdvisor

And according to that site, the historical average monthly rainfall for the Puerto Plata area is:
July-August-September: 3 inches
October: 4 inches
November-December: 9 inches
More complete data for the full 12 months is also available.

Enjoy your trip.

Jan 17, 2009
I would totally ignore weather trends. In the past 2-3 years, no previous trend seems to have served as a basis for predicting how the weather would be. For example, this year the winter was long, rainy, and lower temps than usual, from January till end of April or mid May.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
The North Coast is protected from hurricanes due to its geographic location and protection from mountains and land mass to the East and South. However, its possible to get hit by one, but very unlikely. The earlier in the hurricane season, the better, as most storms do not develop until September or October.

May does have a mini rainy seaon, similar to November-January, on the North coast.

May 17, 2011
Thank you everyone for the replies. After doing research online in addition to the answers I received from this thread I now know how to plan my future trips in regards to weather

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Italnstallion99,
It is interesting you ask about rainfall in the middle of the year. Each year is different but Ken there is a pattern to it! What is also much more to the point is here on the North Coast rain can be very local and what is recorded in one place differ tremendusly from a place only a kilometre away.
The Trip advisor information is not really very good and Timoteno, if you delve more deeply into it you will find they have often spread monthly rainfall evenly over the days of the month. This is not how rain happens so I find the figures a bit suspect!!!
We have been keeping daily rainfall information for the last 6 years admittedly from an amature rain guage and have detailed information for each month.
5 year Driest month=1
Monthly total 2007 -2011
(addition of 5 months) Average per month
Inches
January 57.8 11.56 = 10
February 0.35 8.07 = 6
Mar 36.45 7.29 = 4
Apr 31.95 6.39 = 2
May 41.35 8.27 = 7
June 39.1 7.82 = 5
July 32.8 6.56 = 3
Aug 26.7 5.34 = 1
Sept 43.6 8.72 = 8
Oct 51.3 10.26 = 9
Nov 81.3 16.26 = 12
Dec 63.1 12.62 = 11

Average inches 109.16 over five years

The driest month on average is August (1) , followed by April (2), and then July (3).

This year has been rather different in that rainfall is still some 24” ahead of the rainfall average for this time of year but June was one of the driest months we have ever recorded. July based on current rainfall is still on the low side but there are a few more days to go!
With hurricanes and Tropical storms we do get them occaisionally.
Tropical Storm Alph on 22-24 October 2005 was mainly over Haiti. Hurricane Jeanne 13 -28th September 2004 was really only a TS when it came through the North Coast and in 2006 TS Olga 10-16th October basically came across the centre of the island from Cap Cana to Haiti.

You can look at all the tracks by year on this site : Unisys Weather - Atlantic Tropical Storm Tracking by Year
Italnstallion99 , the weather has been great the last few months and walking the dog on the beach in the morning has been super.
There is usually an abrupt change in September so June July and August can be great months. Weather can be variable but rain is often welcome as it is usually short sharp showers in the summer months.
TS and hurricanes are a different matter but we had a great Hurricane beach Party with IKE!!!
So come and enjoy and get those super deals at the hotels!!!

Olly and the team

Last edited:

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
North Coast Weather - Update

From you post #116 on the "Stormy Weather Thread :
I've been planning all summer to visit some friends in the Santiago/ Puerta Plata areas. I appreciate your information. I just worry about them and being able to visit them as intended.

You are looking at the 24th for about a week or so. In about 4 days the effects of the tropical wave just approaching the Windward Islands will be felt here in the Domincan Republic but mainly in the south. It may have some effect on the north coast but typically we only get 1-2 inches of rain out of such events in the form of short showers and Thunderstorms but it is likely to be overcast for two or three days.
This overcast will remain as 94L approches in about 6 days time on Sunday/Monday. It is likely to become a named storm before then but its track is still uncertain. Current projections suggest it could stradle the northern islands.
It will start to clear towards the end of that week and around 31st/1st there should be some good weather.

Olly and the Team

Michelle Clayton

Jul 10, 2012
Thanks Olly,
Good information & thanks for the friendliness compared to some on the other thread. For my trip, I will be arriving Sat. 8/25 & departing Sun. 9/2. We will be staying mostly at a resort in Puerta Plata, but my local friends plan on taking me to their hometown campo (San Jose Afuera - a bit south of Santiago), visiting family, etc. in Santiago, visiting Sosua, etc.

I mentioned the possible TS or Hurricane 1 on it's way to my friend yesterday, and he wasn't worried. He says where he lives in San Jose Afuera is in the mountains, so storms that hit the island usually don't affect them much....and that with all the serious storms that are possible, few actually hit the island.

I didn't feel like explaining myself in the other thread, but obviously I can't plan the weather. I just know how damaging TS's and hurricanes can be so I was worried for my friends. Also, I've been really looking forward to seeing my friends and miss them a lot, but I obviously wouldn't go if a hurricane was hitting during my planned arrival. I just hope all works out for the best for everyone!

Aug 31, 2011
Thank you for giving us the breakdown. My visit to Samana last year in May was rainy, but very enjoyable. I expect our trip to Jarabacoa and Rio San Juan will be just as enjoyable for we will be meeting up with old and new friends. My sentiments are just as Michelle, I just want to find out from the threads here what to expect, IF there is anything to expect, and not being familiar with the hurricane patterns I look to your threads here to help. Thank you so much!!

davetuna

Bronze
Jun 19, 2012
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
olly, i have a question. I have been working on some smaller islands for the last few years, and when a storm is on its way to a smaller island, the airlines get everyone out if possible. also airports can be closed for example if this storm on its way gets over here by saturday, would it be normal for airports to cancel flights and close airports, or is the fact that the DR is a much larger island have any bearing on the contingency plans?

thanks in advance

dave

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Dave,

I have only know this happen once - and they just diverted planes to another airport on the island here. It is a big island and the affected areas dont usually spread over the whole island. There are others that read DR1 that are better informed on this topic than me so I hope they will contribute.

Olly and the Team

Michelle Clayton

Jul 10, 2012
That's my exact question. I"m watching this: Tropical Storm ISAAC at this point. I know the cone is the potential area of the center of Isaac, but the effects can reach beyond. So, I'm scheduled to fly from MIA to STI around 6-8pm Saturday. Do you think they would just curve around any dangerous winds for a longer flight, cancel flight, or nothing? I know I'll find out eventually. I just have a lot to juggle for this trip, and any experience would be welcome. I've never traveled close to a hurricane before.

Of course, I'm also worried about the heavy rains affecting their village S. of Santiago, but most of you seem to think it's not so bad in the mountains. What do you think with it being a direct hurricane now, as it seems to me?

davetuna

Bronze
Jun 19, 2012
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
I guess we are all waiting now to see how things develop with regard to the storm. I know that you will either be able to fly, or not able to fly. The airlines do everything they can to work these things out, so even if you were not able to fly sat (which at the moment looks ok, as the storm will be past us) the airlines will rearrange the flights. It is obviously a normal event for this time of year.

The Airlines will look after you.

wait and see, we have a few days before it affects you.

dave

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Michelle,
Just update you, the Tropical wave has arrive earlier than I forcast and we are getting heavy thunderstorms - 06:00 22nd August so about a day earlier.
Now TS Isaac , looks like being here earlier and if it foll0ws its forcast track will be 48 miles off Santo Domingo on Friday 24th 1:30 pm. For Punta Cana the forcast is 86 miles on Friday 24th 6:50 am

Olly and the Team

Aug 31, 2011
Michelle,
We are flying from MIA to STI same time, the following Thursday. If you will post your experience, it will help me. We have 96L that looks like it will be going a different direction, others brewing. BUT, be it that we will be in the Mountains of Jarabacoa and near rivers, you could tell me how the inside country was affected. Here's to a great visit with your friends!!!

Michelle Clayton

Jul 10, 2012
@ Water - I'll do what I can. Don't plan on logging on much. We'll be in the interior some closer to La Vega, so we'll see. I am worried about the rains for them in their hometown. It's pretty rural. Signal/reception sucks there in the mountains too, so I haven't heard anything by phone/internet since storms hit last night. I can just hope for the best. The 96L looks like it will veer up Atlantic, so hopefully no problems there.

@ Dave & Olly - Thanks so much. I am definitely watching the storm like a hawk at this point. It seems the path is from DR to Miami for Issac & my path is OH-Miami-STI, so our paths cross no matter what exact day. I'm anxiously waiting to see what the airlines do, but it's a little too early still. I know the wind effects can reach far beyond the eye, but I'm not sure how far.