new washing-machine advice

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
am looking to get a new washing-machine.

Preferably on the cheap side but one that does the job. I have been told that the japanese twin-tub ones are good and maybe to try La Sirena in Pop.

any advice? Idea of prices?

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
Which types of washing machines are you used to? I personally want the whole damn process to be automated. Then again I don't have a house staff to do it for me ;)

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
i know what you mean, but then i dont like the big american toploaders with the big plastic 'screw' in the middle that i dont think is good for your clothes.

I can handle moving stuff from one tub to the other...or getting la mujer to do it :)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
there are top leaders without the ding in the middle :)
i suggest you forget machine with two tubs, it is a lot of work and the capacity is very limited. i have a big a** washing machine and i am happy. there is only two of us in our household and i have 2-3 large loads of washing every week. with the small one you would have to spend all day doing the laundry. of course you could get your gf to do it but personally i think there are better uses for a hot woman than make her stand by the washing machine all day ;)

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
there are top leaders without the ding in the middle :)
i suggest you forget machine with two tubs, it is a lot of work and the capacity is very limited. i have a big a** washing machine and i am happy. there is only two of us in our household and i have 2-3 large loads of washing every week. with the small one you would have to spend all day doing the laundry. of course you could get your gf to do it but personally i think there are better uses for a hot woman than make her stand by the washing machine all day ;)

Then again... with a little imagination you can make good use of the "spin cycle". LOL

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I just bought a Samsung 7 kg automatic for RD11,200 from Corripio with a 1 year guarantee. By all accounts from my research it is a good price and a good deal. My wife is very pleased. We had an American type of washer before but has rusted.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Then again... with a little imagination you can make good use of the "spin cycle". LOL

i think the plastic two tubs washing machine would crack and crash under the weight of a fine dominican a** ;)
a solid, huge american machine offers better support. of course i am talking hypothetically. ehm, ehm, ehm.

yapask1

Jul 23, 2012
Yes the 6kg Samsung top loader WA80U3 is also good. Top loaders have an advantage in a power cut since you can open the lid even though the tub is loaded with water. These Samsung models are widely available.
10-15,000 sounds about right although there are more expensive models in this range. However even by US standards of price $300 is not bad.

yapask1

I just bought a Samsung 7 kg automatic for RD11,200 from Corripio with a 1 year guarantee. By all accounts from my research it is a good price and a good deal. My wife is very pleased. We had an American type of washer before but has rusted.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
chip was talking about santiago here but there is corripio in POP too: calle beller, one or two streets from the port. on another corner of calle beller, little further, at central park, there is distribuidora gonzalez. on manolo tavarez justo, close to the hospital there is comercial imprerial and further down the street, close to the pedestrian bridge there is another shop, freddy's (can't remember the name).
in any case, plenty of choice here in POP. check out the machines and chose something you think is best. the prices start below 10k pesos and go up to almost a 100k.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
all of them will have more or less the same. my best advice is to pay cash and ask for a discount. they will drop the price ever so little but hey, you still save!

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Yes, always ask for a discount.

BTW, I was told Daiwa no longer is a good brand and that Samsung was among the best.

For those interested in the dual compartment type, the clothes need to be rinsed either in the washing barrel or in a sink as is done most often here. Generally after the clothes are rinsed they are put in the second compartment "spinner".

The good two compartment 7 kg washers were running around RD7-8k based on my research here in Santiago of El Curacao, Plaza Lama, El Encanto, La Sirena and Corripio. I don't know of any automatic ones below RD10k. Also, the Samsung I bought for RD11,200 I paid in cash and got an RD700 discount if I remember correctly.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
oh, and comercial imperial has used equipment too. all in good working order.

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
For those interested in the dual compartment type, the clothes need to be rinsed either in the washing barrel or in a sink as is done most often here. Generally after the clothes are rinsed they are put in the second compartment "spinner".

You have to take it out after washing and rinse it?? It doesnt rinse for you?
Thats beginning to sound more like real work to me! I had assumed that all you needed to do was transfer from one drum to the other

Jan 17, 2009
You assumed wrong. You wash in one tub, and spin in the other. If you want to rinse in the machine, you need to take out the dirty water and refill the washing tub with clean water (sometimes more than once), or put a hose inside, open it, and rinse. It's time consuming and by no means your cloth are going to be as clean as in a regular top or front loader. I actually prefer the front loader LG.

You have to take it out after washing and rinse it?? It doesnt rinse for you?
Thats beginning to sound more like real work to me! I had assumed that all you needed to do was transfer from one drum to the other

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
ok, manolo tavarez justo, past the hospital, going towards the direction of santiago. it will be just after the intersection, before sunix station.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We bought a full size Whirlpool washer at La Sirena in March, I think it was 21,000 pesos. Big trouble at first, it wouldn't run. Found out the house's electricity voltage wasn't sufficient for the machine [life in the campo!!], so we have to plug it into a heavy voltage regulator set on '7' for it to operate.