Las Terrenas Fishermans Village - rebuilding.

yapask1

Jul 23, 2012
Some snaps of the work on the new Fishermans Village in Las Terrenas as of 25/7/2012.
Much progress - about 50 people working on the project - all buildings progressing together.
Views are over the fence without preparation.
Views from the beachside:

P10000242-1.jpg

P10000222-1.jpg

P10000202-1.jpg

P10000192-1.jpg

Views from roadside:

P10000232.jpg

P10000282.jpg

P10000272.jpg

Beach scene from Fishermans Village.

P10000232.jpg

Work is continuing at Gaia and it will soon be opening its doors.

P10000292-1.jpg

Menu board at local restaurant:

P10000312.jpg

Hotels and residences nearby will benefit.

P10000262.jpg

Will post further pictures as work continues.

yapask1.

DIESEL1

Dec 29, 2008
This is great news, I had the privilege of visiting this beautiful town last year. Can't wait to go back.

Juniper

Apr 15, 2004
Great pictures, thanks. I just hope they remember to leave enough space on the road so that they don't have
the same traffic jams they used to have.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
the traffic jams are silly ./// too many suvs when it would be better to leave your cars at home and take the conchos.. otherwise the conchistas starve and it is so much better for the village.. and more fun ,.. if it isn;t raining. There is no way they are going to build more parking unless it is in back.. not a bad idea!

does this mean that the town is going to get the rents? this would seem a very good idea...

i think the titles of all those beachfront properties should be in public name

including balcones

yapask1

Jul 23, 2012
the traffic jams are silly ./// too many suvs when it would be better to leave your cars at home and take the conchos.. otherwise the conchistas starve and it is so much better for the village.. and more fun ,.. if it isn;t raining. There is no way they are going to build more parking unless it is in back.. not a bad idea!

does this mean that the town is going to get the rents? this would seem a very good idea...

i think the titles of all those beachfront properties should be in public name

including balcones

Yes, there are many hotels, residences within easy walking distance of the Fishermans Village. Plus the sensibly designed
road along the beach makes walking a pleasure. Problem is that building car parks encourages more cars. A shuttle bus is another idea. A car park out of town and a daily ticket to ride a shuttle bus anywhere in town.

Fishermans village had a great atmosphere thanks to the efforts of many people. Also great views. So when the opening occurs in a few weeks time , given that in my opinion the architects have done a very good job of re-creating the successful original, congratulations will be due to the Tourism Department and all involved.

Las Terrenas is a rising star on the tourism map.

Thanks for the appreciation of the photos.

yapask1

donP

Dec 14, 2008
'Gallos' and Monkeys

the traffic jams are silly ./// too many suvs when it would be better to leave your cars at home and take the conchos..

It is not the number of SUV's. It is the monkey behind the wheel.

In LT the majority of traffic jams are caused by visiting capitale?os ("gallo" type) chatting in their SUV's in the middle of the street.
The other cause is a moped parked in a way that blocks more than half the street.

otherwise the conchistas starve and it is so much better for the village..

Indeed.

I just hope they remember to leave enough space on the road so that they don't have the same traffic jams they used to have.

See above.

donP

StillAbe

May 19, 2011
I think a horsedrawn carriage that could hold a dozen or more restaurant goers could serve as a fun shuttle from an outlying parking area.

I realize the impossibility of getting tourists or a consortium of restaurant owners to pay for this, but I can dream, can't I?

My one visit to LT was topped off by dinner at a restaurant in this complex and I have been rooting for the rebuilding. So this is great.

yapask1

Jul 23, 2012
I think a horsedrawn carriage that could hold a dozen or more restaurant goers could serve as a fun shuttle from an outlying parking area.

I realize the impossibility of getting tourists or a consortium of restaurant owners to pay for this, but I can dream, can't I?

My one visit to LT was topped off by dinner at a restaurant in this complex and I have been rooting for the rebuilding. So this is great.

Park and ride is great in Europe. You pay for parking on the outskirts then have a day bus pass. The car is parked in a secure car park.

Yes other cities and regions employ road trains to transport tourists instead of buses. Also trams.

http://gb.fotolibra.com/images/previews/906104-tourist-road-train-agadir-morocco.jpeg

Central Las Terrenas could become a traffic free zone with advantage.

S.

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
I cant see the pictures. No links, nothing but a blank space. Any suggestions?? I want to see. :(

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Park and ride is great in Europe. You pay for parking on the outskirts then have a day bus pass. The car is parked in a secure car park.

Yes other cities and regions employ road trains to transport tourists instead of buses. Also trams.

http://gb.fotolibra.com/images/previews/906104-tourist-road-train-agadir-morocco.jpeg

S.

A little to disney-ish to my taste, although my toddlers would love it.

I agree with DonP if people didn't feel the need to take their giant SUV to go from Gaia to La Bodega, problem solved !

donP

Dec 14, 2008
No Rishkas

Could, yes.

But there is no hope, the noise and the pollution from the conchos will continue.
A local hotel wanted to use a small rishka type battery powered vehicle to drive guests into town, but as far as I know can't, because of the motoconcho mafia's threats.

A traffic free zone would also meet restistance from shop owners, many Dominicans do not like to walk, you know.

donP

JuanDolioLiving

Sep 7, 2010
How about some carriage like the ones that they have in Key West will be better. This bike carriage can take up to 4 people at the time and since the distance is not so far they can have a least 10 of those and trust a great number of tourist will ride it specially those that are couple.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
How about some carriage like the ones that they have in Key West will be better. This bike carriage can take up to 4 people at the time and since the distance is not so far they can have a least 10 of those and trust a great number of tourist will ride it specially those that are couple.

The 'conchos' have them in Santa B?rbara de Saman?.

donP

yapask1

Jul 23, 2012
More pictures of rebuilding..... taken week 4th. August.

Tourist Authority Sign.

P100006211.jpg

More views as work completes.

P100007511.jpg

P100007411.jpg

P100007311.jpg

P100006911.jpg

P100006511.jpg

P100006711.jpg

P100006611.jpg

P100006011.jpg

P100005911.jpg

Hotelliers are putting up new signs.

P100007211.jpg

yapask1

yapask1

Jul 23, 2012
so who owns these buiildings and collects the rent?

Who knows - someone with government connections could find out how the finance is being worked out. Guess the oringinal lesses or owners were not insured. Land rights would presumably depend on how and when the changes in rights to land near the ocean was carried out after the law was passed that gave those rights to the government. Was compensation paid etc.

However my guess is that the community as a whole will benefit from the rebuilding.

lapask1

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
They certainly look great and the reconstruction appears to be moving along quickly. I can't wait to see it when I get back in a few months.