Beware of Coastal in Sosua

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob Boyd

Feb 3, 2004
Yesterday, Thursday, I stopped for diesel at the Sosua Coastal, as I was low, but the warning light wasn?t on. I filled with diesel and when finished, the pump registered 18.6 gallons. The only problem is that the book for my pick-up says the capacity is 17 gallons when empty. I was over charged once last year, I avoid the place. This time I went inside and talked to the manager and got a run-around. First he told me to come back with an empty gallon jug and fill it. Everyone knows that to test a pump you need a calibrated 5 gallon container. This guy then went into a tirade about the government test his pumps every 6 months and he would be fined if they weren?t set correctly. Then after telling him that I felt I was gouged for approximately 400 to 500 Pesos, his last comment was that the next time I fill-up, to find him first and he?ll watch and see if the pump is working OK. After fuming about this for a day and talking to a friend, he said he filled his wife?s car 2 weeks ago and was charged for 13 gallons in a car with a 12 gallon tank, that wasn?t all the way empty.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
You are taking into account your reserve? Depending on the vehicle depends on the size, and in some newer models the reserve is actually a reserve tank. I expect you'll know this, but just a consideration to be sure before you trash a guys honesty.

bizzyboneizo

Aug 31, 2010
did you fill the hose full of gas. its the hose that is connected to the gas take to the gas cap you can probably get one gallon of gas in there and the reserve like the other poster said

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
As I live very close to it, I normally use it as my gasstation. I cannot say I have had a problem there. They always say "Cero" before they start, and I watch them.

I seem to be getting my money's worth there. I sometimes fill up gallons for my small planta, and that works out fine.

Maybe it is your reserve tank?

BelgianK

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
The book means nothing. I have a 2007 E-150 and when i went to change the ball joints i found out it has an E-350 heavy duty suspension. Bought it in 2009 and had wrong book.. A dealer should be able to give you a "build sheet" with the vin #. Good chance you got a 20 gallon tank.

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
Someone posted a theory a while back that most, if not all, gas pumps in DR are programmed to give you 10% less gas (as compared to what you should be getting) if you order by money amount, or full tank. Presumably when you order in gallons, they are programmed to give you the correct amount - this is to pass a government check by a guy with a gallon container. Don't know if that's true but technically it would be pretty easy to implement, and this being DR, wouldn't surprise me at all.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
It would me, a guy ripping off other Dominicans every day over time? Nope, wouldn't even cross his mind, he'd be lynched!

Ever seen a Even a rich Dominican get short changes Just 5 pesos?

Obviously not!

Bob Boyd

Feb 3, 2004
For the record, I have driven trucks and heavy equipment since giving up bicycles. I have driven this pick-up over 100,000 km and never once, even with the warning light on, has it taken more than 17 gallons.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
My money is on the station owner bribing the political appointee government employee.

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
I know the owner of Coastal and I cannot believe Peter would do anything like this...ever. I believe an unfortunate misunderstanding has been blown out of proportion. That said, I would definitely get a 5 gallon calibrated jug and tell them to fill it so you are satisfied that they are not ripping you or anyone else off.

Zulu

May 27, 2012
Reminds me of a time i pulled up @ a gas station i told him to put dos mil as i was chatting with my companion the tender at the pump put gas for 1000 pesos then he thought i would just drive off without checking the pump, then i looked over and said didn't i tell you to put the whole dos mil pesos he gave back my change because he figured out i put him on the spot. His reply was " i thought you wanted gas for 1000 pesos," then i explained the logic to him so why would i hand over dos mil if i wanted gas for 1000 pesos. Therefore we had to do the transaction again, as if i had just pulled over again in some sort of flash back. In that case i handed the clerk the 1000pesos he just handed over and asked him to give me my moneys worth for that bill. Like a week later the same dude attended me and this time he remembered me but still had the audacity to try a new trick on me with his friend while he was putting gas, his friend was trying to distract me by asking me if i need my engine oil changed, or do i need new wipers, he even offered to clean my wind shield with a new spray. I simply told him without taking my eye of the pump that if i needed his service i will contact him via e-mail. He must have been thinking to himself "what the f#@%, how did this guy get my e-mail." I got him thinking to distract him from distracting me while his compadre was trying to rip me off. Bottom line is you have got to watch their every move i do not doubt that you know you car better than anyone else & if you say it takes 17 gallons and he sold you 18 then there is something fishy going on

Last edited:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
It may be the difference between Imperial Gallons and the US gallon.

The owner of that Coastal has replied personally here on another matter.

I have no doubt you'll hear from him soon.
His last reply won me over as a customer. I had never stopped there before but do now.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
I don't know the owner of Coastal gas station--i doubt i would recognize him if he stood in front of me--but i can confidently say this about his gas station: its the best gas station on the north coast, and in my opinion, on the entire island. Period.

1. it's the only place on the north coast (except La Sirena in Puerto Plata) that bottles and sells its own frsh queezed orange juice and fresh coconut water. i go there everyday, sometimes by bicycle from Cabarete just for the O.J and coconut water.
2. its the only gas station on the north coast (maybe the entire island) that carries Ritter Sport dark chocolate.
3. they always have fresg fruit and good sandwiches.
4. the place is air-conditioned!
5. they have seating outside where you can sit and enjo your beverages.
6. they have a restaurant attached to the gas station that serves fantastic dominica food. its very busy at lunch.
7. i buy all my gas there--and have been for the last 7 years. never had a problem.
8. its a great place to sit outside and people watch.
9. there's a really cute dominican gas pump girl that works there. she's a cuty pie.
10. the place is clean!

Frank

bermyboy

Bronze
Dec 13, 2007
Yea I drive past gas stations to go to the Coastal as I feel its the only hoest one in the area.

santa110xyz

Oct 25, 2005
i used to fill all my cars there for many years!!! But since they have this young fellow working there and cheating i stopped.
i did no go to the office to report him, because don't like to enter in a useless discussion and thought maybe the owner
will find out soon or later.... well that dude still works there, so i don't put gas in my car as long he is there. he is the one
who usually works on the first filling station (next to the highway)

Status
Not open for further replies.