Car Rental Question

egeth

Oct 24, 2005
It will be 3 years since I was last in the DR. I did come at least once in the previous six years and I don't know if it's just because I'm getting older and more cautious or just older and wiser? Every past trip I rented a car drove everywhere even at night used my credit card as insurance waiver and never had a problem. Have things changed? Was I just lucky? I will rent a car but am thinking of not driving from Santo Domingo to La Vega or Samana at night. Also of thinking of buying insurance through rental car company. Any suggestions? Also any recommendations between budget and Economy car rentals. Thanks in advance. I'm so looking forward to getting back to the DR-DR. Ed

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Nothing has changed. Go to the 'American car rental' company on Indepencia by where the others are on the left. They are really very good, honest and give you full cover on insurance included. By the name you can probably guess they are not American, but great, nice lads and will come a pick you up where ever.

egeth

Oct 24, 2005
Thanks for the reply. My concern is I like to have the rate and everything worked out in advance and I'm not sure how difficult it would be with this agency?

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Here:
American International
Santo D, 8096870505
LA airport 8095491673
American International Rent-A-Car
customer_service@aintrac.com

I can give you the costs for a SEAT mid sized car, new, great runner.

3 days rental with absolute cover, RD7,885.93
The longer you keep them obviously the cheaper it becomes.

Better than Europa next door, or thrifty. New cars and real full cover, which the others are a little shady on.

Anyway, my recommendation.

egeth

Oct 24, 2005
Agreed but I will be here for 3 weeks. I'm looking for an economy car and have quotes without insurance of $409 for 18 days from Budget and Economy car rentals. If anyone has experience with these companies I'd appreciate advice. I'll check out American International Rent-a Car web site. Is it crazy to let my credit car cover insurance?

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Whatever you decide, be sure you understand the insurance policy on offer, that is why I like the IA packages, there is no excess on damage caused, they suck it all up and so no shocks or charges if you ding it.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Is it crazy to let my credit car cover insurance?

It is not crazy, as long as the rental company hand over the relevant paperwork for the credit card insurers. Your excess will still be taken from your credit card in the moment, you just have to get things straightened out with the credit card insurers when you return home. That gives me a headache, as who knows what could happen, you don't have the correct info, accident report, rental documents. Chasing this up in the DR from abroad could be a nightmare.

Johnabbey44

Aug 27, 2012
Your extra will still be removed from your own credit-based card inside minute, you must acquire factors straightened out and about while using credit-based card insurance firms whenever you returning home. That provides me a headache, as that is aware of precisely what could happen, you don't have the precise facts, incident report, hire documents. Chasing after that way up inside DR coming from in foreign countries is a nightmare.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Have things changed? Was I just lucky?

Nothings changed and yes, probably lucky. But since you recognize that, you're way ahead of the game. You know to be cautious.

I rent from a guy in Sosua. He'll take real good care of you, let me know if you would like his ph number. He rents used small cars and suv's. Decent prices and good service.

Allaffair

Aug 17, 2012
Car rental

Agreed but I will be here for 3 weeks. I'm looking for an economy car and have quotes without insurance of $409 for 18 days from Budget and Economy car rentals. If anyone has experience with these companies I'd appreciate advice. I'll check out American International Rent-a Car web site. Is it crazy to let my credit car cover insurance?

Even though these may be American franchises operating in the dr, they by no means run the business like the American business. I have used budget a couple of times and the last time just walked away and took the bus.
The main cause of confusion is the insurance policy, I had prepurchased insurance and they still wanted to charge me or do a 1000 hold on the credit card. On my previous rentals at the airport I waited at the counter for almost an hour to get a car.

I may try American or another agency, I guess it's the best policy to get the cover all insurance but it is not cheap.