Camp David Ranch HOTEL, regretfully, I am probably thru with it.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Over the past 5 years I have been at the Camp David Ranch Hotel quite a few times, with mixed but generally fair results. The hotel used to have a competitive rate around USD 50.oo for a double room.
The views are as described by so many quite breath taking and the hotel offers a welcome retreat from the noise, buzz and smog of the city at a manageable distance (IF you have a vehicle) after a day of business in Santiago. The restaurant tries hard to be upper scale... yet the quality of the food/cuisine may not always be at par with the price... still, I've often chosen to have my evening meal at the hotel restaurant enjoying the show of the glitter of the city in the dark bellow.
the hotel mainly consist of two buildings; one with the lobby and restaurant and a few or the less attractive rooms and a second building which has been updated a little with new card-locks on the doors and newer bath rooms and flat screen TVs. The architecture is simple "old-modernism", but it's a comfortable place with individual A/C units which generally function.

Usually, I call in, a day or so ago and make my reservation without any formalities or having to use a credit card. This time, too, only that the price quoted was a about 50% higher than usually (RD$ 2880/USD 74 instead of the usual $50).

I had three small children with me (which I indicated I would at time of my phone reservation) when we checked inn in the late afternoon.
First I was asked for RD$ 3200.oo for the room, which was however immediately corrected when I mentioned that I had been given a lower rate (apparently a summer "special 10% discount") and then I was asked for my credit card.
I indicated I was going to pay cash in advance as always, but I was told I would still need a credit card (mind you, some of the rooms DO have a mini bar fridge, but they are empty except for two complimentary water bottles). An argument of "WHY" ensued and the lady at the front desk could only insist that it was hotel policy and had the misfortune to tell me that it's ALWAYS been like that (NOT true, it's NEVER been asked before!). I demanded to see a director. First I was told there was nobody else to talk to. I would HAVE to sign on a voucher with a RD$6000.oo debit on it which would be refunded should I check out and "no towels or bedding would be missing" (no kidding). I must admit, I started to feel offended and impatient.
Finally, a Lady which I had to ask several times about her whole name was called in: Mrs. Nicol Bermudez (there is a well known Bermudez family in Santiago which has a Rum brand). She claimed first to be the director and eventually to be the owner.
I was again told that this policy, because they've had problems with people who left without doing a proper check out had been in place for YEARS. I again countered that I had been at the hotel less than a year ago and that this had NOT been the case. She corrected, stating that it had been put in place about a year ago (now that she remembered). I refused to give my credit card and offered to leave RD$ 6000 in cash as a security deposit but with protest. She then stated, that if I did not like it, she preferred we'd rather NOT stay at the hotel (it was evening, we had a reservation and I had 3 children with me, I was not going to search for a hotel NOW!).
Anyways, I repeated I would leave the deposit in CASH. So, the said that if it was cash, it was the hotel's policy to ask for RD$10'000!!!
I about had it, but since I had the money on me, I did it. Asked for a receipt on which I demanded that the RATE would be written down too. Since it was a security deposit for the INVENTORY of the room, I asked to HAVE an INVENTORY as I would not like to have an other argument next morning upon check out on how many towels and pillow there may have been! They found THAT ridiculous but I insisted.
It was again suggested that I might rather find an other hotel and mentioned that ALL hotels do that. I told them no, that I am a frequent guest at Hotel Jaragua and Barcelo in Santo Domingo and that while they all ASK if one would LIKE to open a voucher for in-Hotel consumptions, they would not condition access to a room on accepting to surrender you card to them. Mrs. Bermudez told me that it was NOT true, that I could NOT get a room at those hotels without giving a credit card or cash guarantee (beyond paying the full room rate in advance)... so, essentially I was a liar... which I did not take very well after she had lied to me about the time at which their little policy had been put in place and the fact that their policy now seems to be to presume all their guest potential thieves and vandals. (what a great use of computers, not to even be able to identify a RETURNING guest either!).

Unless they change their attitude, I must say, I will NOT go back to Hotel Camp David Ranch.
I am sorry, I might miss the place and the tranquility it used to offer, but I can not accept their way of receiving guests and how the celebrate hospitality.

... J-D.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Feedback

I hope Mrs. Bermudez reads this.
Or could it be brought to her attention by fax........ :rolleyes:

donP

Aug 21, 2007
I was at the restaurant about a month ago and found it to be wonderful. The food was delicious. We felt, for the quality, the price was right and the service was fine.

I have never stayed at the hotel, nor do I know how the rooms are furnished. But, for a room to sleep 4 people, I would be quite satisfied to pay $74.

I understand the debate about the discrepancies. Perhaps the owner doesn't understand that the customer is always right.....theoretically, at least.

Lindsey

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Nicol used to work customer service for me several years ago - no further comment.
Her father (deceased) was the owner of the hotel.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
since you had a car, you should have left no matter the time. did you get your money back in the morning or is that another story?

Yes, sorry I forgot to mention, of course I did get my money back. It was a final transaction surrounded by silence and mutual contempt. I was asked to turn in my receipt for the deposited money, I had anticipated that and made a copy for my records (should someone someday have a sudden amnesia).

I was almost going to leave and until Mrs. Bermudez had the ill fated idea of threatening to not accept us as guest because I clearly protested against the way we were being received and treated. We had a reservation and as long as we kept our part of the deal (to pay our negotiated room rate in ADVANCE) I wanted her to keep her part of the deal would she like it or not.
Additionally, as I said, I had the kids with me and I was not really looking forward to search for a decent room in a safe environment in the city with the evening coming up.
But obviously, as stated, unless they make it known that they will reconsider their disrespectful "policy" (which by the way, they would have to DISCLOSE at TIME OF RESERVATION, as not everybody carries a credit card or just happens to have RD$ 10'000 to spare besides monies for other travel expenses!), I will not stay there.

Lindsay, I was "OK" with the price, although a 50% hike over the last 12 or less months seems a little beyond the inflation rate. I regularly stay at the Jaragua or Barcelo Lina in Santo Domingo for just a little under USD 100.oo. These are in-city 4 Star bunkers. There are not to many mid-priced hotel offerings in Santiago. Most are in pitiful condition, lack basic security.
I must say that a "breakfast" was included, yet it was in no way to the level of the restaurant.
Quite often, when I am alone or with my GF, we stay over night at a cabana... it comes to about the same RD$ 3000 for a whole night (negotiated) and we get to sleep in something that looks like a 4Star place and often has a mini-pool patio in suite. But obviously, I can't check into a Cabanha with 3 kids.

I don't expect Mrs. Bermudez to act positively to my remarks. She did make her position utterly clear then, so did I.

As I said, it's a nice place at a spectacular location, and I will miss the tranquility of that retreat while I come to stay in Santiago, but I will not endorse this attitude towards tourist and especially towards returning guests.

And I am tired to keep my mouth shut just on the premises that Dominicans may not have the insight or experience or what ever silly excuse, especially if it's coming from a member of a privileged family who must have had access to education and maybe even experiences abroad.

... J-D.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
I will NOT be frequenting this hotel if this is how they treat customers, especially those with children.
JD,
We usually stay at Aloha Sol on Calle Del Sol and have only had one altercation and that was with the cashier at the restaurant who was afterward made to apologize and I was given a free dessert of my choice off of the menu for her rudeness.

I have always received professional service from Aloha Sol

SHALENA

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
What a shame! I have stayed there in the past and eaten at the restaurant. No way in hell will I pay 74 bucks for an overnight stay for two!

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
So maybe I misunderstood, but were they asking to HOLD your credit card or just asking to have a credit card on file for incidentals. If it's for the latter then this is not unusual and pretty much every hotel does it if you're paying cash.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
So maybe I misunderstood, but were they asking to HOLD your credit card or just asking to have a credit card on file for incidentals. If it's for the latter then this is not unusual and pretty much every hotel does it if you're paying cash.

They asked for a credit card after I had already waved the cash for the night at them.
I asked what for, they answered as most hotels which MAY ask for a credit card, that it would be for "incidentals" (extra consumptions like having restaurant consumptions put on the room tab). As at ALL hotels, I politely declined indicating that would I consume anything, I would prefer to pay cash (ALL hotels accept that! Jaragua, Melia, Barcelo Lina etc).
But they insisted. As I gave in, I found out they not only "opened a voucher" but actually wanted to bill a preliminary RD$6000.oo. I declined to sign and the argument ensued.
Finally I offered to leave the RD$6000.oo in CASH but wanted my protest to the practice noted. I was then told that if it was cash it had to be RD$10'000!!

I am sorry, NO that would be myth, in NO other hotel, not even in this country have I been forcefully subjected to such a practice, practice I highly doubt would be legal.
Again, hotels do TRY to OFFER the possibility to open a TAB on an open CR-voucher and they can offer that with utmost naturalism... I NEVER agree, no where, not here, not in NYC, not in Miami not in Zurich, not even in Santo Domingo, and NEVER have they not immediately accepted, usually just indicating that I might not have access to room service (which often does not have the ability to receive payment at the room) and phone service (we have cell phones now) and that I would have to pay cash or CR for consumptions at the bars and restaurants. (Mrs. Bermudez made it a repeated point to tell me that all the above is not true).

Look, we are in a country where many do either not have a CR or (like me) do NOT wish to use it in this country, additionally, unless advised at the time of reservation, not every traveler will have RD$10'000 CASH to SPARE besides their estimated cash on hand they may carry on their trip.

Pardon my English, but they have no idea of what they're doing.

... J-D.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
They asked for a credit card after I had already waved the cash for the night at them.
I asked what for, they answered as most hotels which MAY ask for a credit card, that it would be for "incidentals" (extra consumptions like having restaurant consumptions put on the room tab). As at ALL hotels, I politely declined indicating that would I consume anything, I would prefer to pay cash (ALL hotels accept that! Jaragua, Melia, Barcelo Lina etc).
But they insisted. As I gave in, I found out they not only "opened a voucher" but actually wanted to bill a preliminary RD$6000.oo. I declined to sign and the argument ensued.
Finally I offered to leave the RD$6000.oo in CASH but wanted my protest to the practice noted. I was then told that if it was cash it had to be RD$10'000!!

I am sorry, NO that would be myth, in NO other hotel, not even in this country have I been forcefully subjected to such a practice, practice I highly doubt would be legal.
Again, hotels do TRY to OFFER the possibility to open a TAB on an open CR-voucher and they can offer that with utmost naturalism... I NEVER agree, no where, not here, not in NYC, not in Miami not in Zurich, not even in Santo Domingo, and NEVER have they not immediately accepted, usually just indicating that I might not have access to room service (which often does not have the ability to receive payment at the room) and phone service (we have cell phones now) and that I would have to pay cash or CR for consumptions at the bars and restaurants. (Mrs. Bermudez made it a repeated point to tell me that all the above is not true).

Look, we are in a country where many do either not have a CR or (like me) do NOT wish to use it in this country, additionally, unless advised at the time of reservation, not every traveler will have RD$10'000 CASH to SPARE besides their estimated cash on hand they may carry on their trip.

Pardon my English, but they have no idea of what they're doing.

... J-D.

Every hotel I have been at (even in the DR) has asked for a credit card even If it was prepaid. I cant think of a reason why not to give it to them , unless you would not want your esposa to see any Credit Card holds or transactions. (which is a BIG GOOD reason)

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Every hotel I have been at (even in the DR) has asked for a credit card even If it was prepaid. I cant think of a reason why not to give it to them , unless you would not want your esposa to see any Credit Card holds or transactions. (which is a BIG GOOD reason)

Using a foreign credit card in the DR is like opening your wallet and saying take what you want. That is the reason.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
The General

Every hotel I have been at (even in the DR) has asked for a credit card ....

Mrs. B: How are you general, long time no see...
Gen. F: Well, I met this young chica today, you know how it is...
Mrs. B: I know... so, the same room as always?
Gen F: Yeah, it's cash, forgot the CC....
Mrs.B: Don't worry, general, cash is fine.... as always....

;)

donp

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Using a foreign credit card in the DR is like opening your wallet and saying take what you want. That is the reason.

GOOD reason. I wonder if using a cancelled credit card might work, unlikely.

Joe2DR

Apr 25, 2012
I had a similar situation back in June. When I called and checked in- I was given a rate of RD$3200, when I checked out in the early morning, the guy at the front desk said it was RD$3500. I was really upset, no [thug] manager available to discuss the situation. I had a great time the night before, food was ok, mixed drinks/presidente beer hit the spot... to the point that I did not mind the high-rate, specially calling 30 minutes in advanced. Also, surrounded by the foreign executives and their bilingual novias.

Anyways, I will not stay or recommend Camp David to anyone... I will stay in a Caba?a

Over the past 5 years I have been at the Camp David Ranch Hotel quite a few times, with mixed but generally fair results. The hotel used to have a competitive rate around USD 50.oo for a double room.
The views are as described by so many quite breath taking and the hotel offers a welcome retreat from the noise, buzz and smog of the city at a manageable distance (IF you have a vehicle) after a day of business in Santiago. The restaurant tries hard to be upper scale... yet the quality of the food/cuisine may not always be at par with the price... still, I've often chosen to have my evening meal at the hotel restaurant enjoying the show of the glitter of the city in the dark bellow.
the hotel mainly consist of two buildings; one with the lobby and restaurant and a few or the less attractive rooms and a second building which has been updated a little with new card-locks on the doors and newer bath rooms and flat screen TVs. The architecture is simple "old-modernism", but it's a comfortable place with individual A/C units which generally function.

Usually, I call in, a day or so ago and make my reservation without any formalities or having to use a credit card. This time, too, only that the price quoted was a about 50% higher than usually (RD$ 2880/USD 74 instead of the usual $50).

I had three small children with me (which I indicated I would at time of my phone reservation) when we checked inn in the late afternoon.
First I was asked for RD$ 3200.oo for the room, which was however immediately corrected when I mentioned that I had been given a lower rate (apparently a summer "special 10% discount") and then I was asked for my credit card.
I indicated I was going to pay cash in advance as always, but I was told I would still need a credit card (mind you, some of the rooms DO have a mini bar fridge, but they are empty except for two complimentary water bottles). An argument of "WHY" ensued and the lady at the front desk could only insist that it was hotel policy and had the misfortune to tell me that it's ALWAYS been like that (NOT true, it's NEVER been asked before!). I demanded to see a director. First I was told there was nobody else to talk to. I would HAVE to sign on a voucher with a RD$6000.oo debit on it which would be refunded should I check out and "no towels or bedding would be missing" (no kidding). I must admit, I started to feel offended and impatient.
Finally, a Lady which I had to ask several times about her whole name was called in: Mrs. Nicol Bermudez (there is a well known Bermudez family in Santiago which has a Rum brand). She claimed first to be the director and eventually to be the owner.
I was again told that this policy, because they've had problems with people who left without doing a proper check out had been in place for YEARS. I again countered that I had been at the hotel less than a year ago and that this had NOT been the case. She corrected, stating that it had been put in place about a year ago (now that she remembered). I refused to give my credit card and offered to leave RD$ 6000 in cash as a security deposit but with protest. She then stated, that if I did not like it, she preferred we'd rather NOT stay at the hotel (it was evening, we had a reservation and I had 3 children with me, I was not going to search for a hotel NOW!).
Anyways, I repeated I would leave the deposit in CASH. So, the said that if it was cash, it was the hotel's policy to ask for RD$10'000!!!
I about had it, but since I had the money on me, I did it. Asked for a receipt on which I demanded that the RATE would be written down too. Since it was a security deposit for the INVENTORY of the room, I asked to HAVE an INVENTORY as I would not like to have an other argument next morning upon check out on how many towels and pillow there may have been! They found THAT ridiculous but I insisted.
It was again suggested that I might rather find an other hotel and mentioned that ALL hotels do that. I told them no, that I am a frequent guest at Hotel Jaragua and Barcelo in Santo Domingo and that while they all ASK if one would LIKE to open a voucher for in-Hotel consumptions, they would not condition access to a room on accepting to surrender you card to them. Mrs. Bermudez told me that it was NOT true, that I could NOT get a room at those hotels without giving a credit card or cash guarantee (beyond paying the full room rate in advance)... so, essentially I was a liar... which I did not take very well after she had lied to me about the time at which their little policy had been put in place and the fact that their policy now seems to be to presume all their guest potential thieves and vandals. (what a great use of computers, not to even be able to identify a RETURNING guest either!).

Unless they change their attitude, I must say, I will NOT go back to Hotel Camp David Ranch.
I am sorry, I might miss the place and the tranquility it used to offer, but I can not accept their way of receiving guests and how the celebrate hospitality.

... J-D.

chrisrose97

May 2, 2010
Everywhere I've been to, Dr and the US, they asked for credit card for incidentals...what if you trash the room? The situation should have been handled differently, "I'm sorry but hotel policy changed recently, we will do our best to accomodate you".....but that would make too much sense for DR!!

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I find it very strange they actually wanted to take 6,000 rds out. That does not make sense, as they would have to pay commission on that.

I have never used a CC here, and I do not intend to either. Especially with some of the extra charges a restaurant demands if you want to pay with a cc (a little while ago, I read on the menu "if paid by CC, we will add 21%)

BelgianK

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
Why not use credit cards?

Credit Cards:

• I don't have an "esposa"... I have a GF (which is about just as bad) but when I take the kids along, even she can know. Besides, Cabanhas would be the spot you to go to secret stays.
  • EVERY time I have used my credit card in THIS country (DR)... and when I did, ONLY at most reputed vendors like National SuperMarket, La Sirena and PriceMart I had FRAUD less than 3 months later and had to wait for a new card to be sent from the US. When I stopped, the frauds stopped. It was discussed here and apparently the culprit was suspected to be not at the dealer level (at that grade of vendors) but VisaNet DomRep.
  • "OPEN vouchers", while they were popular, are against CR rules as they are essentially like signing a blank check.
  • Because you may NOT WISH to? UNLESS you have been advised at time of reservation / quotation, I resent being asked to open my financial exposure to someone just because THEY WANT to. It's MY money. I know what I say "Yes" to and what I didn't.

That being said, the argument "what if you trash the room?" was ONE of essentially 3 put forth by the Mrs. Nicol Bermudez.
One of the reasons I enjoyed going to CDRH was the apparent security, since, for what ever reason it is the DR military who guards the hotel and surrounding grounds.
Any hotel has to protect it's guest but obviously itself (also from it's guest). It's part of operating a hotel.
If you can't protect your outfit from your own guest (trashing rooms, leaving with towels, bedding or flat screen TV's or what ever), THEN YOU have a problem you need to address in a proactive manner and one that also suggest that your guests may not be as safe as the scattered heavily armed soldiers may make it look like. But you CANNOT make your GUESTS responsible for your little problem.
You can not treat guest as presumed guilty of something one or two guests may have done (partially because you are not able to run your outfit in a manner that will limit such incidents to an absolute minimum) and make them pre-pay for it.

Let's assume you'd like to shop in a store, and they'd make you leave a deposit at the entry because they've had some theft in the past! "No problem, YOU'LL GET YOUR MONEY BACK, IF YOU DON'T STEAL ANYTHING!" :D
Likewise you'd have to pre-pay at most any restaurants... who's to say you won't skip on your tab thru the bath room window (or you would at least have to leave a deposit at the restroom door, for that very reason... HEY, we could invent credit card door locks for restroom doors... you'd need a credit card to open and it "holds" $100 until you pay your tab!). Ridiculous? REALLY?

Finally, when you have a computer, which should be able to SAVE one of your most VALUABLE information (usually that would be your CUSTOMER DATA BASE), USE it and ID RETURNING GUESTS and try to welcome them BACK if you want to cut it in the tourism business.

... J-D.

dom

Jun 1, 2011
i have a credit card, but i always refuse to use it, why should i if i have cash.

in CASA DE CAMPO at the hotel i was asked for my credit card, i refused, and then i was politely given the option to leave 100 us as deposit which was refunded when we left the room. if casa de campo can do it, any ****hole in santiago should be able to do the same.

but this is another totally normal dominican attitude, u are the client, u want something from them, so u better kiss their ass, it will still take many years for Dominicans to learn that the client is king and is always right, until then tourism will keep dropping, until the last gringo is gone.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

I've posted this before, but I'll repeat it here because it's important.

Last year we rented a car from Avis in SD [next door to Vesuvio]. I gave them my American Express card for the "hold". It was a 2 month rental, so nothing would be charged until we left.

So they put a $4000 'hold' on the card. No problem, right?

Three DAYS later, I received an e-mail from Amex telling me that someone in Arizona had tried to use my card to buy an airline ticket to the tune of something like $7-800. They had declined it because I had notified Amex that I'd be in the DR for two months, and their fraud protection is excellent.

Now, I don't think Avis did that. I think the credit card processing company in DR has holes the size of an elephant.

I'm with JD - don't use a credit card for ANYTHING in DR unless there is absolutely no alternative.

And if you don't live in DR, be sure to call your card company before you leave your home country to tell them where you'll be and for how long. Saves a lot of aggravation later.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It has been posted before that the problems with using foreign credit cards in the DR has been linked to the credit card processing companies and their unscrupulous staff. You may be able to safely use a credit card elsewhere, but the chance of credit card fraud is so high here it is far better to use cash.

And for those that say you can protest the illicit charges and get them back, that is generally true, but it is a hassle.