Business Idea - Independent and Assisted Living

Chellow

Jul 27, 2006
Tell me why this will not work, with the baby boomers looking for alternative retirement residential and living possibly and so many Dominicans wishing to return back, plus a ready and available cheap Dominican medical work force.

I found that POP had many hotels for sale. Why not turn them over and or buy one and convert it to an Independent and Assisted Living business. You can make two Thousand US Dollars per head per month, that?s about one million for 40 tenants.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
This has been discussed before. Hopefully the person who described their investigation and the reasons they abandoned the idea will see your post and respond.

rendul

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
rendul.tripod.com
I don't think that many boomers would stay there if they were incapcitated or suffering diminished mental capabilities and most Dominicans cannot afford these expeditures. More likely the boomers would return to their permanent homes and families then sell up their properties. Just a thought.

yapask1

Jul 23, 2012
I don't think that many boomers would stay there if they were incapcitated or suffering diminished mental capabilities and most Dominicans cannot afford these expeditures. More likely the boomers would return to their permanent homes and families then sell up their properties. Just a thought.

Most likely you would get many incapacitated people who run out of funds and have nowhere to go. Unlike the UK, France etc. there are no residential homes where the fees are paid by the state.

yapask1

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002

rendul, I agree. Since I am not too far from the need for such facility myself, I have given this a lot of thought. I will stay in my apartment as long as I can function more or less normally, but when I need assistance, I will go to a place much closer to my family in the US.

I know a couple that tried this. There were elderly and the wife needed assistance. They built a nice house and hired help. They were positioned to save a lot of money compared to the US. But because of the separation from family and friends, they soon sold the house and returned to the US.

Chicagoan

May 27, 2011
I agree with Ken. Assisted living in the U.S. is very expensive, and the suggested price of $2000 per month would be very attractive. However, most people I know in assisted living are near their children or other relatives. Many even move from where they have lived all of their lives to where their children are.

StillAbe

May 19, 2011
I have advocated this before and still believe it would work. A challenge of course is that Medicare doesn't move offshore from the US, so that's out. But the sophistication of DR medical services has increased and the ability to Skype at will helps a family keep an eye out on elderly parents. Challenges with just getting around most towns in DR limits the ability of relatively healthy, yet "not sure footed" older folks to take advantage of their surroundings. Fix the sidewalks, etc. Fat chance.

Retrofitting the classic 3-storey resort condo building with simple elevators seems easy enough.

This can work-with limitations on just how infirm residents can be-but who will be first? I would wager it will be Catholic nuns--they are innovative and determined and are already heavily into the independent living and assisted living, etc. industry.

slas7713

Aug 9, 2004
We had a similar discussion not too long ago after a friend of ours had a stroke. He wanted to stay in the DR but the lack of any decent facilities that could give him the required care eliminated that option for him. He could of had around the clock nursing care in a nice apartment, for cheaper than anything in the U.S., but he desperately needed professionally qualified rehab, which effectively eliminated the DR.

I think it's a great idea. I foresee the government(red tape, fees, bribes, etc.) being the biggest hurdle.

Chellow

Jul 27, 2006
I have no children?s, and this would be primed for me. I know that Medicare would not cover any of the cost but my social security check would. I read that Mexico and Costa Rica are trying to market similar plans.

What I envision are private rooms per tenant and a section away from the main facility that will house friends or family members for free upon visiting.

I?ve seen hotels for 300K and up that could be converted.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Medicare doesn't pay for extended nursing home care [max is 30 days I believe], but Medicaid does, pays it in full, you just have to turn over your social security to them. To get Medicaid you have to have less than $2000 in assets, and they do check back 5 years to make sure you haven't hidden/transfered anything. They won't make you sell your home, but they will attach a lien to it, and they get paid back first whenever it's sold.

So.....it "could" work for seniors who aren't Medicaid eligible, don't want to or need to be living near their children/grandchildren/siblings/other family. $2000 is cheap, especially if it includes all meals and care the way they do in the USA. Kinda a seniors AI.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Wife vs. Nurse

I still believe that getting old with a Dominican family around you is way better than living in an old age home.

When I was 50 my plans were to marry a young nurse at 70... :bunny: :bunny:
All right, it turned out otherwise... :tired:
But somehow I trust my wife more than a young nurse... lot of cases in Europe where old people got poisened by nurses..... :ermm:

donP

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I'm confused, can or cannot Medicare/Medicaid funds be used for offshore operations such as this?

I doubt without this income that many wealthy enough locals would be willing to put their parents up there.

If in fact Medicaid or Medicare is available I expect Dominicans looking to return from the States would be interested. As far as "gringos", without a staff sufficiently fluent in English this could be a challenge.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
I'm confused, can or cannot Medicare/Medicaid funds be used for offshore operations such as this?

Quick answer Chip, NO to either one outside the borders of the USA except for treatment under VERY limited circumstances in Mexico and Canada. IE you have an emergency and your closer a Mexican or Canadian hospital for treatment than you are a US hospital. This exception only applies to Medicare, some Medicaid does not cross state borders.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002

I doubt without this income that many wealthy enough locals would be willing to put their parents up there.

If in fact Medicaid or Medicare is available I expect Dominicans looking to return from the States would be interested. As far as "gringos", without a staff sufficiently fluent in English this could be a challenge.

There has been some talk about the possibility of medicare funds being used in select foreign hospitals on a trial basis, but don't know whether it will ever come to pass. Meantime, my contribution is deducted every month from my social security, but I would have to be in the US or Puerto Rico to benefit from the insurance.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I know that there are some upscale homes run by the Catholics. By upscale I mean about a thousand US a month. I have a friend who has been married here for fifty years and had her mother in law in one when she was too old to care for. That is what I figure I will do,

After I get finished with the plan for the six HAitians to carry me down the three flights first and then a move to the first floor apartment in my building... but I would lose my balcony and my wonderful birds!!!

I had long planned this, that I would be better off here with a live in.....

There are lots of very elderly people here in Gazcue who go out for their walks with their companions in the nice weather.

We all know where the sidewalks holes are.

And many of the elders here actually plan on living on the third or fourth floor for the exercise.

Then I have a lovely suite at the Clinic Abreu picked out for the final days, one with a view of the sea... if i make it to there.

Either that or i will be hit by a gua gua.

My sister promises to hold my memorial on the internet and publish that I died of hemoraegic dengue fever since it is the most exotic thing we have ever heard of.

or the cloud forest of costa rica if things turn sour in the next few years.. i will only have the strength to move in the next few years!

Chellow

Jul 27, 2006

Your have to use most of your social security check. If you had a fare job you should have some money left.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Now what's the expression?

"Be nice to your children - they choose your nursing home"

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com

Medicare and Medicaid cannot be used here. They can be used in Puerto Rico and I am surprised that no one has opened up assisted living places there.