No more PPeses for DR...

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Dominican authority prohibit the importation of used cloths and shows in DR...

I am reading an article posted on FB by Coco Cabrera who is a Dominican news reported from NY city.

No link of news yet.

Tu vera Vaina!

JJ

donP

Dec 14, 2008
The 'Paca' Trade

:bunny:
Dominican authority prohibit the importation of used cloths and shows in DR...

Should you mean clothes and shoes, then that is old 'news'.
Shop owners have been pressing for such prohibition for years, but second hand clothes and shoes are still imported/smuggled in on a large scale.

It is a million $ trade and border troops and certain circles high up get a good share of it.

In LT there are at least a dozen places where 'paca' stuff is sold, we buy a lot there. :bunny:

Fern?ndez niega aprobara entrada de pacas al mercado - listindiario.com

Fern?ndez niega aprobara entrada de pacas al mercado - listindiario.com

Importadores piden definir entrada de pacas - listindiario.com

http://www.listindiario.com/economi...7/Importadores-piden-definir-entrada-de-pacas

donP

Last edited:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Places like,"Plaza Lama,La Sirena,and other "Big Box" stores in the DR,as well as the "Narco Mall" owners don't like the "competician" !!!!!!!
And they "OWN" the gov.
Anyone surprised???
CC

Feb 7, 2007
Certainly will cause less competition for the Mall Triangle, if enforced. Here in Higuey the pacas stores are always packed and show huge signs outside saying "desde $20" I guess a piece of used clothing can be had for as little as 20 pesos ... certainly is more economic for poor people to buy 500 pesos worth of "imported" clothing there, than one junk China-made piece that will fall apart or wash away colors in a month, in a large store like Lama or Sirena.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Places like,"Plaza Lama,La Sirena,and other "Big Box" stores in the DR,as well as the "Narco Mall" owners don't like the "competician" !!!!!!!
And they "OWN" the gov.
Anyone surprised???
CC

Yes, lets force the poor to buy their clothes at Pichardo's new malls. Its a disgrace to the DR economy to allow Gringos to bring in, and donate clothes to the unfortunate.
The gringos should just save thier money for Sosua Whoremongering and force to poor to shop at the upscale malls!

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Certainly will cause less competition for the Mall Triangle, if enforced. Here in Higuey the pacas stores are always packed and show huge signs outside saying "desde $20" I guess a piece of used clothing can be had for as little as 20 pesos ... certainly is more economic for poor people to buy 500 pesos worth of "imported" clothing there, than one junk China-made piece that will fall apart or wash away colors in a month, in a large store like Lama or Sirena.

You hit the nail on the head. I've been very surprised as of late of the material and construction used in the clothes I buy for my girls. They are so fragile that most have to be washed by hand. We go to the flea market and find better quality used clothes there. Sometimes I get odd looks because I'm a gringo but since I grew wearing hand me downs from my friends it doesn't bother me a whole lot. Of course for the presentable stuff that my wife wants for the kids they can only be new but for the everyday stuff and I go for the used especially if I haven't been to the States and can't load up at Walmart.

Taino808

Bronze
Oct 10, 2010

What makes you think the used clothes brought in from the States and else where are not Chinese made? If the clothes sold here are considered "crap" just because they are Chinese made, then guess what, the ones shipped in from abroad are just as crappy because they come from the same manufacturer.

China outsells any garment manufacturer world wide.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Bajate

You hit the nail on the head. I've been very surprised as of late of the material and construction used in the clothes I buy for my girls. They are so fragile that most have to be washed by hand. We go to the flea market and find better quality used clothes there. Sometimes I get odd looks because I'm a gringo but since I grew wearing hand me downs from my friends it doesn't bother me a whole lot. Of course for the presentable stuff that my wife wants for the kids they can only be new but for the everyday stuff and I go for the used especially if I haven't been to the States and can't load up at Walmart.

The quality of the stuff bought in these 'bajate boutiques' is quite good and better than in the established shops.
Quite often we find new seconds and new clothes with their price tags still on.
We look for 100% cotton and we hardly ever buy somewhere else.

donP

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Guess What

If the clothes sold here are considered "crap" just because they are Chinese made, then guess what, the ones shipped in from abroad are just as crappy because they come from the same manufacturer.

"Made in China" no longer means that it is crap.
Now many renowned manufacturers produce in China with their own quality control and supervision.

donP

Taino808

Bronze
Oct 10, 2010
"Made in China" no longer means that it is crap.
Now many renowned manufacturers produce in China with their own quality control and supervision.

donP

I know this, but from the post before mine including "rubio's" people made it sound as though clothes bought in Plaza Lama and La Sirena were crap because they came from china.

My point is simple, china manufactures more clothes than anyone else including the US, and they sell them everywhere including the US, *meaning that any used clothes "pacas" brought in from abroad can't be any better than the ones being sold in la Sirena and Plaza Lama because they are all most likely made in china.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
While the girls clothes at La Sirena seem to be poor quality for the most part the men's clothes have been ok. El Encanto and surprisingly even La Opera have better quality girls clothes than La Sirena. I still spend thousands of pesos every month in La Sirena on other stuff.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
What makes you think the used clothes brought in from the States and else where are not Chinese made? If the clothes sold here are considered "crap" just because they are Chinese made, then guess what, the ones shipped in from abroad are just as crappy because they come from the same manufacturer.

That is NOT true. There are different grades of garments from China. The absolute crap is shipped to the DR.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Too Simple a Thought

My point is simple, china manufactures more clothes than anyone else including the US, and they sell them everywhere including the US, *meaning that any used clothes "pacas" brought in from abroad can't be any better than the ones being sold in la Sirena and Plaza Lama because they are all most likely made in china.

Not only is that logic wrong but also does not take into account the PRICE.... :bunny:

donP

Taino808

Bronze
Oct 10, 2010
That is NOT true. *There are different grades of garments from China.

Umm different grades of garments? This makes sense, so now how does one know what grade of garment they are receiving when buying from piles of used clothes? This is important to know, considering that most on this forum are under the impression that now because of the new laws all poor people are only left with the option of buying Chinese junk as noted by rubio's post #6.

The absolute crap is shipped to the DR.

This however is questionable, considering that the vast bulk of clothes being sold in thrift stores around DR actually come from Panama and Brazil. I suppose you could say the small amount that comes in from china is "absolute crap" but not all since as noted above most comes from Panama and Brazil.

Taino808

Bronze
Oct 10, 2010
Not only is that logic wrong but also does not take into account the PRICE.... *:bunny:

donP

What price are we talking about? Do you actually think that the used clothes coming from abroad had the highest price tag when new, or of the couture kind? No these clothes are the cheapest ones available in those countries.

Keep in mind clothes from pacas are bought by the shipping party for cents on the dollar, they don't take into account the price or quality when new, rather how much they could buy them now. Sorry but it is your theory thats completely wrong, price does not come into play when talking about used clothes.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

China produces different grades of clothing. You can buy high quality Chinese clothing or absolute crap.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Completely Wrong

No these clothes are the cheapest ones available in those countries.
False.
We bought high quality brand clothes at a bargain price (genuine leather bags, too).
We even found clothes from Germany, very good quality.
I think, a lot of this stuff comes from donations to Haiti and then gets into the wrong hands.

...your theory thats completely wrong, price does not come into play when talking about used clothes.
Sure it does.
There is no theory involved. My wife browses through the makeshift shops, she is very good at knowing the quality of the garments.
We would never find that quality in Dominican shops, unless we pay a much higher price.

While you think we are wrong, we do it right almost daily. :bunny:

donP

Last edited:

Taino808

Bronze
Oct 10, 2010
China produces different grades of clothing. You can buy high quality Chinese clothing or absolute crap.

Explain this to the guys claiming that everything sold in Plaza Lama and La Sirena is "junk" (as noted in post #6) simply because what these stores sell comes from China.

My point is simple, if everything sold in these store is "junk" because it come from chine, then by the same token every used garment bought in these " Agachate Boutique" could also be considered "junk" because we don't know what type of quality these garments possessed when new, or in most cases, where they wore manufactured.