PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
576052_10151339614203146_266733318_n.jpg

bermyboy

Bronze
Dec 13, 2007
LOL actually when I went to Ecuador I would catch my self talking to some of the guys we where working with in Domincan Street Spanish they looked at me like I was crazy then I had to remember where I was ! I wasnt as bad as the above caption though. Aparently Dime was offensive there i had to stop myself from saying that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Taino808

Bronze
Oct 10, 2010
LOL, sometimes I get so confused when speaking with some of my employees and they brake out with their street lingo.

bermyboy

Bronze
Dec 13, 2007
I think Domincan street spanish is comparable to Jamaican patois its English but it dont sound like it especially if you arent used to hearing it !

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/VeXZqG4jI0Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>........................

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hMwdDFVu6-k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>...............lol

Taino808

Bronze
Oct 10, 2010
That was NOT child abuse. As you can see the belt never left the bed.

That was just a old fashioned tongue lashing - or cussin' by Dad.

Call it what you want, but I would never use those curse words in front, or directed at my two lil girls.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
This guys Spanish is no different than gutter English in the states based on what words he was using. I would never use most of those words with the exception of co?o and even then I try not to use it.

bermyboy

Bronze
Dec 13, 2007
exactly Chip like i saiod Domincan street spanish is like Jamaican english !!! LOL Ya hear wha mi haffi say Bredren !

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
i have some Argentian friends...and when i speak Dominican Spanish they look at me in HORROR!!! "how dare you speak to me like that!" But then again...i cant understand a word of newyorican spanish.

JohnnyBoy

Bronze
Jun 17, 2012
Argentinians and Chileans speak the best Spanish outside of Spain. Id say the DR is a close second.

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hMwdDFVu6-k" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="420"></iframe>...............lol

This is an example of the highest level of education they get at home.
One day they have kids of their own and will behave the same...so much for evolution...

gringobachata7

Sep 19, 2009
I am confused because in the DR, people teach me street Dominican and love it when I say it. Especially, at the colmado I go to. The guy teaches me street Dominican all the time. My wifey teaches me street Dominican too and thinks it is funny when I talk like that and gets all happy and giddy when I talk like that. As soon as I master some of it, she teaches me more and more. So, it is wrong to speak it?

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
I am confused because in the DR, people teach me street Dominican and love it when I say it. Especially, at the colmado I go to. The guy teaches me street Dominican all the time. My wifey teaches me street Dominican too and thinks it is funny when I talk like that and gets all happy and giddy when I talk like that. As soon as I master some of it, she teaches me more and more. So, it is wrong to speak it?

Like going to live in the USA from Spain and trying to speak Ebonics to the people at work, in Wall Street! That wrong!

There's nothing wrong with understanding the slang and street talk from a place you live at, but it's totally wrong to assume it's proper to use that type of way to talk to others in their native language!

gringobachata7

Sep 19, 2009
I hear you but this is the opposite of what people do with me. They teach me tigre talk and the dominican ebonics and try to get me to speak it and laugh and teach me more and more. My girlfriend only wants me to talk to her like that. She teaches me the dominican ebonics all the time. At the colmado, the guy teaches me it and always wants me to talk like that.

As someone from the inner city in the USA. Ebonics was always something cool to speak. As a kid, it was the cool and in thing almost like kids who would say dude and cool in order to fit in. Sometimes in other languages with thick accents. Or "whatz up" or "wassup yo" or "son" or "kid" and other ebonic words. From my experiences the street talk is just a cool way of talking but it is not formal enough to use in professional or formal environments. There were people whose first language was spanish, french, german, even chines or koreans in bodegas who would speak ebonics in English and it really sounded ok. It was kind of cool. Also, it can be gangster like gangster talk. Lots of immigrants and foreigners talking like gangsters.

In short, you can sound street or cool or whatever by speaking street dominican. It just depends who you do it with and how you do it. Just do not do it in formal environments and make it clear that you are proud to be you and you are not trying to be Dominican but for other reasons.

If I were some white guy from suburbia or someone, no I would not feel comfortable talking ebonics in english or another language but I am an urban minority. It is ok for me to speak improper in a language.