Building Materials in Santiago

awilhelm88

Does anyone know of a building material store in Santiago (concrete blocks, roofing material, etc) and also, a store similar to a Home Depot or Lowes? I'll be traveling to the DR in 2 weeks and hope to purchase land and build a small house within the next year.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Bellon at JP Duarte and Ave. Rafael Vidal. If you want any advice regarding building send me a pm.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Spammer "CHUMP"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I thought in order to Advertise on DR1,you had to PAY first ?????
Couldn't build a "Casa Para PERROS"!
Shame On You CHIP!!!
I hope Robert sends you a bill!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
"Spammer "CHUMP"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I thought in order to Advertise on DR1,you had to PAY first ?????
Couldn't build a "Casa Para PERROS"!
Shame On You CHIP!!!
I hope Robert sends you a bill!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

You are so right as usual CC!

To the OP, please see the thread I've started about building here in the DR the Dominican way:

http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/63016-homebuilding-dr-inexpensive-dominican-way-26.html

I believe this thread has helped many people to save thousands of dollars. Let me know if you need any advice. See you there!!!!

(BTW, I always recommend getting an architect for any major construction).

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
IMO, NOTHING prepares you for building in the DR.

No house with a square corner...for example.

Do ask around. Bellon and Ochoa are two options, but there are others once you get here.

HB

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I promise you my friend, I'll have a house built in less than 3 months with perfectly square corners (unless I go round). I'll have ya'll over for drinks to show ya. I have tricks that'll work even in the good ole DR.

I look forward to seeing the photos!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I'll take that bet!!!

I am assuming the following:
1) You have an architect all ready, and or the drawings ready
2) You have a lawyer ready to buy the property
3) You have a master builder ready
4) You have really deep pockets and have established your bank accounts and your purchasing accounts with Bellon and Ochoa and a couple of other places.
5) You have a compadre in the local city council who will push through the approvals of your plans and get the building permits issued
I could go on...but you get my point???

and I left out speaking Haitian Kreyol, and Spanish...

HB, grinning....

awilhelm88

Okay…you just forced me to have to brag. I’m fluent in Spanish and Portuguese while my wife (my business partner and acclaimed structural engineer) is fluent in Spanish, Portuguese, Italian and…you guess it, French. I’m an award-winning architect who likes to get his hand dirty and build the damn things too.

I have worked to improve concrete form construction for homes. I can build forms out of loose wood or any similar material. Forms take about a week to assemble while pouring the concrete takes hours. So, in a very short time, the basic structure is up.

I have excellent cash flow and would buy all materials (and bribes) personally to cut out the middleman. My construction techniques are designed to utilize and employ UNSKILLED labor, which I’m sure I’ll find in abundance.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Okay…you just forced me to have to brag. I’m fluent in Spanish and Portuguese while my wife (my business partner and acclaimed structural engineer) is fluent in Spanish, Portuguese, Italian and…you guess it, French. I’m an award-winning architect who likes to get his hand dirty and build the damn things too.

I have worked to improve concrete form construction for homes. I can build forms out of loose wood or any similar material. Forms take about a week to assemble while pouring the concrete takes hours. So, in a very short time, the basic structure is up.

I have excellent cash flow and would buy all materials (and bribes) personally to cut out the middleman. My construction techniques are designed to utilize and employ UNSKILLED labor, which I’m sure I’ll find in abundance.

I'm a builder and engineer here and would say be careful. I would recommend first of all getting an architect as the Ayuntamiento or Obra Publicas could shut your project down if they want or even condemn it during construction. BTW, Prices for an architect to prepare plans will run RD250-400 per square meter. Also, the seguridad social and pension funds laws have become sticky to say the least with undocumented workers suing the project owner(you in this case) for not registering them. I expect you as a foreigner would be a prime target unfortunately - unless you have a Dominican partner - or until you are established and have your own workers.

BTW, I'm in a local university getting a masters in Const. Admin.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
I don't build house or have interest in them but please build it properly. I rent my place so it won't be my problem once I leave but my wife and I always in bad mood when ever it rains and water start to leak in from the walls.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
RD250-450 is what Dominicans pay. Gringos have been known to pay a little more, like RD1500/sqm and up and up and up. :)