Cabarete windsurfing folks... small quiz para ustedes!

Man?el

Jul 22, 2012
Since I'm planning on moving to the Cabarete area in hope to get more rides, it'd help me to get a little more info on the spot from locals.

I've spent a few days in Cabarete and sailed once on 7.2 and got some nice jumps on the reef.

1. How far (time/distance) from the spot are you?
2. How often do you go?
3. What time do you go?

1. I'm in Colorado, I also sail Wyoming and Nebraska. I'm 30mns from my main spot. Other major spots are 3 hours+.

2. I've sailed 52 times last year, and this year probably closer to 70. However, we can't really sail mid-November through mid-March because it's too cold.

I go before (5-8am) or after work (3-5pm) or weekends.

I sail from 3.7 / 77L to 9.2 / Formula but mostly 5.x and 105L.

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
I kitesurfed last summer in Cabarete for a couple of months. I stayed 50 meters from the spot (Ocean Dream), went most days in July and August - May and June were rainy and not enough wind for the most part. The time to go is invariably from around 1pm to 5-6 pm as the wind gets decent at that time. If you want detailed info, you can get in touch with the LEK school, they are on skype.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I am afraid you will have to actually be here to find out more. It is quite obvious that very few people on this board are involved in windsurfing. I used to windsurf, but have not been going recently. The number of windsurfers has steadily decreased over the years while the number of kite surfers has risen. The main reason I stopped is that I need new equipment and what they were selling locally was not high quality stuff. When I did windsurf I rented space and kept my gear rigged and ready to go. Trying to find parking along the Cabarete strip is just not convenient nor is the multiple trips to the beach needed to haul in and out windsurfing gear.

During the months from April through August you could probably sail on almost every sunny day with winds in the 15 to 25 knot range. As long as the cloud cover stays over the hills to the south of Cabarete, the thermal effect will get the winds up to that 15 to 25. range with a side on-shore direction and is good to know for any kind of wind and water sport. I found that 2 PM to 5 PM are the prime hours for wind.

During the winter the waves are higher and the windy days less predictable, but still can be good on any given day. Some years you have to be very careful in the launch areas because of the waves. For that reason, winter is the prime surf season at Encuentro.

But as I said, be here in the summer months and you will see the peak of the locals windsurfing such as it is with most having switched to Kite Surfing.

Man?el

Jul 22, 2012
Now that I've been here for a few months I can add to this.

1. I am about 7-10mns by foot from the windsurfing centre where I store my gear (4.7, 5.4). Occasionally, I'll rig up a 7.0. I wouldn't want to be farther or else would need a pasola.

2. I try to go as often as possible, 76 sessions in less than 4 months. Like windeguy mentioned, April through August is excellent. Being so close to the beach maximize sessions. Leaving gear rigged saves time.

3. Wind kicks in around 1 pm till sunset (730). I tend to prefer late sessions as most tourists clear and the waves get cleaner, however the wind drops some.

Because of the way waves come in on the west part of the reef, it's possible to surf front side there most days. It makes it possible to slog out and surf back in on fairly small volume (77L for my 73kgs).