Where to live in Punta Cana?

Okierans

Jun 7, 2012
Hello there, myself, my husband and 3 kids are moving to the Punta Cana area in September. Could anyone please suggest resorts/gated communities where I could search for a large condo or villa to live in from Sept until Dec. Where do expats who work in hotels/resorts in Punta Cana mainly live?
Thank you.:classic:

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
Hello there, myself, my husband and 3 kids are moving to the Punta Cana area in September. Could anyone please suggest resorts/gated communities where I could search for a large condo or villa to live in from Sept until Dec. Where do expats who work in hotels/resorts in Punta Cana mainly live?

Cocotal would be a wise decision.

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
For 4 months, try Iberostate, you get BEACH ACCESS, in COCO, renters arent allowed Beach... You can PM me if you want I know the rental manager...

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
there's lots and lots to choose from... depends on the area you want to be in. "Punta Cana" generally speaking covers something like 20 or 30 miles along the coast from Cap Cana in the south up past Bavaro and Friusa. The A.I.'s are stretched all along this area. You might want to pick an area close to where you'll be working.

Cortecito is centrally located, and has a large number of good apartments and condos where a number of expats and Dominicans who work in the area live. Some of the complexes are Corte Sea, Arenas de Bavaro 1 and 2, Santa Maria del Mar 1 and 2, Palm Suites, Rosa Hermosa, Beach Residence, just to name a few that I'm very familiar with.

Punta Cana Village down by the Airport is another place to consider, but I don't know a whole lot about it... there are several members here who could better advise about that.

tballerina

Aug 20, 2009
where to live in Punta Cana

I can tell you where the best place to live in Punta cana is because I just arrived here and I love it. Especially for a family with children. It's Punta Cana Village. But don't contact any realtors before you get here. I learned this the hard way and lost a sizeable deposit. They're ruthless. walk around the village and call the numbers displayed on the various houses and condos for rent. There is a large supermarket right in the middle of the village, banks, schools, shops, and it is safe and picturesque. The nearest beach, playa blanca is about a 10 minute ride. Hope this helps.

rubenpriego

Feb 28, 2011
Just my opinion, if having kids, maybe better to choose el Cortecito instead of Punta Cana Village, as all condominiums are walking distance to beach while in PC Village you need to take a car. Im not sure, but being in PC Village, I have seen many many apartments without pool, and in Cortecito all of them have, very important for kids too.
Cheers.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Both Cortecito and Punta Cana Village have their stronger and weaker points:

Cortecito has the beach within walking distance, PCV has the nearest beach at 4kms, Playa Blanca, a very short car ride, definitely cyclable and even walkable at a push. As a teenager I used to walk that distance to the beach near my home town.

PCV also has the supermarket, school, sports installations and playground within comfortable walking distance from all points in the Village, which as far as I know Cortecito doesn't.

The two main condo complexes in PCV (Jardines and Terrazas) have pools and whoever doesn't have a pool can join the new Casa Club, which has a pool.

My best advice to the OP would be to come and see for herself and weigh up the pros and cons.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
I agree with Chiri... take a look and see what you like. My condo is in Cortecito and I love the area, BUT I don't know if I would feel the same if I was moving there with kids. We are empty nesters, and our kids are adults. I'm not very familiar with PCV, but I can tell you there aren't a lot of kids around Cortecito. A few locals from time to time on the beach, but never really see many children around "town", (if Cortecito can be called a town), LOL. There is a school or two, and day care, but from the descriptions I've read, PCV might be more of a kid-friendly neighborhood. Just my 2 cents.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
You definitely need to look at Cocotal also. Tons of different apts and Villas.