Deposit

DRinvestor785

Dec 13, 2009
I gave a $6000 deposit to an owner when I rented a house. The lease is finished and the property is in good shape. In some areas it's better than when I rented it I repainted the living room and kitchen. The owner is European but has lived in the Dominican Republic for many years. He told me he as not going to refund the deposit. I asked for a list of repairs or problems and there isn't one, there is nothing wrong with the house. Is it worth going to a lawyer? Has anyone else had this problem?

DRinvestor785

Dec 13, 2009
Yup dollars. Just don't want to pay as much in legal fees as the claim and then not win. Risk you take.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
That is ridiculous, so you were living in a $3000 a month property and the guy is not going to return the deposit? Name him to warn others. $6000 is a years rent to most.

baby bori

May 18, 2010
US $3000 dollars month rent is insane just get something comfortable for RD$20000-$25000 monthly. Some people let me rephrase that some families can live for a month off US$3000 dollars monthly......knuckleheads all over the place.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
If the rent really is 3000 dollars just live there for two more months. When I rented I advised that I was leaving 3 months in advance and stopped paying rent two months in advance. When I left I ahead had to discuss about some repairs, but at least I wasn't delivered to the whims of the owner.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
This is what happens when no inventory is taken at the start of the rental period

1. When you moved in did you make an inventory and took pics of the status of the house? That is the usual and only way for both parties to acertain after the rental period has elapsed what condintion the house was in before and after the rental period.

2. If it is really true that the house is now in the same or better state; tell the owner if it doesn't get resolved you will name both the owner and property on every site you can think of. That should bring him to the negotiation table.

3. If 2 doesn't resolve anything; live out the deposit and then leave. Take pictures and a video of the house and all meters (eletricity, water) when you leave. Do not thrash the place as it can have consequences later.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
In reality threatening him with coverage on websites will do little to change his mind. Once these guys have made such a decision then they won't move, no matter what, to back down from a decision is a sign of weakness to them. You really have only two options. 1, go to a lawyer and offer him 30% of the amount returned. 2, walk away and learn from it. Living out a deposit once you already want to leave is counter productive, it is digging into your already made future plans and so hindering you more, and you still do not have the money returned.
If it were me, I'd approach a lawyer and offer him the 30%, if he wants more then make sure he gets all the money back, otherwise I'd forget it, walk away.

Either way, name him and his business and the property.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
This is the way business is done here. It is not right, but that is the way it is. When renting be prepared to live out the deposit.

bayaguanaman

Oct 22, 2009
This is the way business is done here. It is not right, but that is the way it is. When renting be prepared to live out the deposit.

I agree, however, best pay last 3 months rent (month 10.11 & 12) into a joint deposit account, where you have the safeguard that if the landlord doesn't return you deposit, you don't sign to release his cash ( it is of no loss to him as he has the 3 months or 2 months in this case cash up front anyway so he cannot sue for loss as he has not experienced a loss). At the point he releases the cash for the deposit , you release the final 3 months rent to him. But best to explain in clear details the fact that his money is secured for him until the release.:pirate: