Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is my child a Dominican Citizen?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Is my child a Dominican Citizen?

Long story short, I became a U.S. citizen several years ago. Afterwards, I had a daughter, one who is interested in the Dominican Republic. Here is my question: because, becoming a citizen of another nation constitutes involuntary renunciation of citizenship, according to Dominican Law, is she a Dominican Citizen by virtue of having a (former) Dominican parent? Or, by having involuntarily renounced it, before she was born, have I denied her that privilege?

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Both the DR and the USA allow for dual citizenship.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kato Kintu View Post
    Long story short, I became a U.S. citizen several years ago. Afterwards, I had a daughter, one who is interested in the Dominican Republic. Here is my question: because, becoming a citizen of another nation constitutes involuntary renunciation of citizenship, according to Dominican Law, is she a Dominican Citizen by virtue of having a (former) Dominican parent? Or, by having involuntarily renounced it, before she was born, have I denied her that privilege?

Your daughter is 100% entitled to Dominican citizenship regardless of you having obtained another citizenship before or after her birth.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chip View Post
    Both the DR and the USA allow for dual citizenship.
    The Embassy in Washington, D.C. has told, that this constitutes involuntary renunciation and, were not able to answer my question.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

The Embassy in Washington, D.C. has told, that this constitutes involuntary renunciation and, were not able to answer my question.

Forget that! She can start the process right tomorrow if she wants to!

Just do a quick search on obtaining Dominican citizenship by children of Dominican born-now foreign citizens living abroad here on DR1...

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

because, becoming a citizen of another nation constitutes involuntary renunciation of citizenship, according to Dominican Law
    It doesn't.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Washington has nothing to do with this. Get a Dominican Lawyer that does Immigration in the DR.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree. Pure bull sh!t...

She gets her birth certificate with your name and cÚdula number on it. Files the papers and bingo..

If she was born in the US, she is going to have dual citizenship...not that the DR one will be of much use unless she goes into politics...Or becomes a great athlete...

HB

Moderator DR1.com

9. Likes greydread liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SKY View Post
    Washington has nothing to do with this. Get a Dominican Lawyer that does Immigration in the DR.
    Why spend the money? I'd apply directly to the nearest Dominican Consulate in the USA.

11. Likes Givadogahome liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SKY View Post
    Laywer?! What do you need a lawyer for? Just print a letter requesting transcription, get the birth certificate of the child legalized at cancilleria and JCE and request transcription at consultoria juridica of JcE in Luperon. Takes about a month and cost 500 pesos. When they approve you go with that letter to ainscribe inscription office and you get the birth act as proof she s Dominican. No need to make a lawyer any richer.

It surprises me everyday btw that lawyers and public notaries are needed for the easiest transactions. Buying a car, founding a company, or just changing some statutes of your company, and many other things, always a lawyer needed. This is finally a process that can do without.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast