Is my child a Dominican Citizen?

Kato Kintu

Aug 9, 2012
Long story short, I became a U.S. citizen several years ago. Afterwards, I had a daughter, one who is interested in the Dominican Republic. Here is my question: because, becoming a citizen of another nation constitutes involuntary renunciation of citizenship, according to Dominican Law, is she a Dominican Citizen by virtue of having a (former) Dominican parent? Or, by having involuntarily renounced it, before she was born, have I denied her that privilege?

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Long story short, I became a U.S. citizen several years ago. Afterwards, I had a daughter, one who is interested in the Dominican Republic. Here is my question: because, becoming a citizen of another nation constitutes involuntary renunciation of citizenship, according to Dominican Law, is she a Dominican Citizen by virtue of having a (former) Dominican parent? Or, by having involuntarily renounced it, before she was born, have I denied her that privilege?

Your daughter is 100% entitled to Dominican citizenship regardless of you having obtained another citizenship before or after her birth.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
The Embassy in Washington, D.C. has told, that this constitutes involuntary renunciation and, were not able to answer my question.

Forget that! She can start the process right tomorrow if she wants to!

Just do a quick search on obtaining Dominican citizenship by children of Dominican born-now foreign citizens living abroad here on DR1...

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Washington has nothing to do with this. Get a Dominican Lawyer that does Immigration in the DR.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I agree. Pure bull sh!t...

She gets her birth certificate with your name and c?dula number on it. Files the papers and bingo..

If she was born in the US, she is going to have dual citizenship...not that the DR one will be of much use unless she goes into politics...Or becomes a great athlete...

HB

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Washington has nothing to do with this. Get a Dominican Lawyer that does Immigration in the DR.

Laywer?! What do you need a lawyer for? Just print a letter requesting transcription, get the birth certificate of the child legalized at cancilleria and JCE and request transcription at consultoria juridica of JcE in Luperon. Takes about a month and cost 500 pesos. When they approve you go with that letter to ainscribe inscription office and you get the birth act as proof she s Dominican. No need to make a lawyer any richer.

It surprises me everyday btw that lawyers and public notaries are needed for the easiest transactions. Buying a car, founding a company, or just changing some statutes of your company, and many other things, always a lawyer needed. This is finally a process that can do without.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Dominicans give citizenship to anyone whose parents are born in the Dominican Republic.

As one gets off the plane there is usually a both before elections, asking all Dominicans to get their cedulas in order to vote. They have voting booths for the Dominican elections in a lot of cities in the US.

I think that you would start losing rights if your parents are born here but you never get a cedula or passport and then wanted your child to become Dominican.

But for now, your child is entitled to dual citizenship as long as you were born here. Just like an American can confer US citizenship on their children no matter where they were born.

The woman at the consulate is wrong.